IGNORED

Circulating copies of Ride Like A Pro - WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

LilBeaver

Okay folks, for the last couple of months I have been swamped with work/travel (mostly for work) so I started slacking off on my attempts to locate these videos and keep them moving. But to be quite honest with ya'll, un-answered PMs, e-mails and phone calls weren't helping either. For those of you that got back to me with the information you did have, THANK YOU VERY MUCH, as for the rest of you that I contacted - I am rather disappointed that you could not take the time to send me a quick note back.

Regardless, out of respect for the folks that have been on this list for a ridiculously long time, patiently waiting to view and pass on as agreed by requesting to be on this list, I would appreciate if whoever currently has copies of these would do the following:

1) First and foremost - POST TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD (HERE... CLICK ME CLICK ME!) indicating that you have a copy of the video and when you will be passing it on.

2) Look at the list and figure out if it is accurate as to where you are on it - if not, then in the post that you make for #1, indicate how it ought to be changed (that is either: (a) You have seen the video and passed it on (note who you passed it to as well), (b) you HAVE a copy of the video, © have been contacted by the previous viewer and will receive it).

3) Please be considerate and follow these simple guidelines to be fair to everyone else.

What I really hope is that the videos have been making their rounds according to the order listed on the original thread and that folks have just not been updating that they have it and have sent it to **whomever you sent it to**, and that we are making our way through it - but don't worry, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Thanks for your time - thank yous ESPECIALLY to those of you that donated your copy of the video for everyone to learn from :happy65::happy65:

So again, c'mon folks - lets get these moving again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It looks like whoever has them decided to keep them, which is regretable...

I hafta say I am disappointed, as those copies were donated to give everyone a chance to see what is a good video on riding techniques. I hope everyone could have a good look around their homes and if you have a missing copy, please forward it on, or send to Kite squid so he can discreetly send it on to the next person.

Thanks for having a look,

Brian

I hafta say I am disappointed, as those copies were donated to give everyone a chance to see what is a good video on riding techniques.

BTW I stared the thread by donating my copy first....so I fell the pain of everyone who has not seen them.

That said, why not buy a copy?

Click HERE to go to the Ride Like A Pro website

BTW I stared the thread by donating my copy first....so I fell the pain of everyone who has not seen them.

That said, why not buy a copy?

Click HERE to go to the Ride Like A Pro website

Didnt need to buy a copy as I donated mine too

Brian

Really?!? No one?

Maybe this thing isn't on... *whap whap whap*

:confused24::confused24::confused24:

Noticed that I'm #5 on the list and I haven't seen them. So it's gotta be one of the 4 above me.... If I ever do get the tape what I can do is convert it to a digital file and post it on A-Drive. Then it can be downloaded and played on a computer.....

... If I ever do get the tape what I can do is convert it to a digital file and post it on A-Drive. Then it can be downloaded and played on a computer.....

I would strongly advise AGAINST this as this is blatant copyright infringement; unless you purchase the video yourself and save the electronic copy for your own archival purposes without distributing the saved media.

The list was setup in such a way that it was perfectly legal since no one was duplicating the disc and the original owners were not charging for viewing privileges.

I understand the motivation of your post though as you were just thinking of others and being kind but again, let us stay within the confines of the law here.

I would strongly advise AGAINST this as this is blatant copyright infringement; unless you purchase the video yourself and save the electronic copy for your own archival purposes without distributing the saved media.

The list was setup in such a way that it was perfectly legal since no one was duplicating the disc and the original owners were not charging for viewing privileges.

I understand the motivation of your post though as you were just thinking of others and being kind but again, let us stay within the confines of the law here.

Not much different than what's happening now with the 'loaner' list. It defeats potential sales, and that could be interpreted as copy right infringment. I bet if you look deep enought into the fine print of the copy right law you'll find something that addresses that issue.

I'm no expert on the subject but I kind of doubt that. Books and even videos are shared all the time through public libraries and that is legal I guess. I think it is OK to share an original copy but not OK to copy and distribute it to others. I agree though that either way, it results in a loss of revenue.

I'm no expert on the subject but I kind of doubt that. Books and even videos are shared all the time through public libraries and that is legal I guess. I think it is OK to share an original copy but not OK to copy and distribute it to others. I agree though that either way, it results in a loss of revenue.

NAPSTER originally was set up for people to share music. Looked what happened to them.. I personally think that it all depends on intent. If the item is circulated to relieve the burden of purchase, then it's a no-no. If it's given away, it's OK. So the question is, are the tapes being circulated so that members will not have to buy them? I think the existence of the list, and the retention of tape ownership, makes it a legal no-no. If they were given away randomly as a gift then there is no intent to defraud. So perhaps my idea was in error, and even though the intentions were good, the list may also not be the best thing to do. That said, I don't think there will be a problem with status quo of this effort. Napster was big....and we're very small..... :)

I think that would be a different situation. Napster was not sending folks a CD for them to listen to and pass on. They were letting people download and save the music. We were not copying the CD and sharing it as was Napster, just sharing the original copies. I guess I'll try to find something in the laws about this but to me, it's entirely different than what Napster was doing.

The copyright law is huge and divided into so many sections that it would take forever to search it all. I did find THIS on the MIT website which would seem to suggest that what we were doing is OK. This is specifically regarding music CDs but I would think that the law would be the same.

Loaning someone your CD or even selling (but not renting) it is protected by U.S. copyright law since no additional copies are being made. However, when you send a music file to someone else, you retain your copy and an additional copy is made. This copying may violate the exclusive rights of copyright holders.

I think that would be a different situation. Napster was not sending folks a CD for them to listen to and pass on. They were letting people download and save the music. We were not copying the CD and sharing it as was Napster, just sharing the original copies. I guess I'll try to find something in the laws about this but to me, it's entirely different than what Napster was doing.

It was individuals sharing music. No matter what you what to call it, it still stifled sales of copyrighted creations. Usually when a piece of art is sold it grants first rights to the purchaser. Those rights can be given away by the purchaser, but not loaned to circumvent subsequent purchases, unless... the creater grants the lender that right. Ask yourself this. If I were in the business and had written a book that I depended on for income to support my business, how would I feel if someone started passing around his copy so that others wouldn't have to buy it. Better yet, why not contact the MSF and explain what we're doing and ask if it's OK.

Then it would be illegal for pawn shops to sell used CD's and bookstores to sell used books and GameStop to sell used games since the copyright holder only makes money on the original sale.

The key is there was money made on the original sale. Now if all the pawn shops decided to go into the lending business or sell copies it would probably raise a flag. Not all copyright infractions are deemed defendable. It all depends on what it would cost versus what would be gained.

I liked our old model for paying for music up here.

As I understand it, When you used to buy blank media like cd's there was an extra charge tacked on that is supposed to go to the artist, and then there wasnt a huge concern over copying as the money was there whether it was original or a copy.

But now that our recording industry has become so intertwined with the US we've been forced to move to the US style of "ban the copying"

Brian

The key is there was money made on the original sale. Now if all the pawn shops decided to go into the lending business or sell copies it would probably raise a flag. Not all copyright infractions are deemed defendable. It all depends on what it would cost versus what would be gained.

Not true... even if you give away copies of somebody else's work (not for profit) you are still liable under copyright laws.