IGNORED

Front brake slide pin removal

Just thought I would share this experience with you.

Having stripped my machine down and doing a complete service on it before the Spring I tried to remove the slide pins from the front brake to strip the calipers down and clean them and change the pads whilst I was at it. At first I carefully tried to remove the offending pins. Needless to say they would not come loose and the allen key just stripped the head even after tapping it to try to loosen any corrosion. I soaked them for a few days in release oil on the caliper.

:doh:

I ordered four new ones but was amazed to find the part number had been changed from 4TT-25914-00-00 to 5JU-259141-00-00. (I'll explain later).

The lower one on each side of the caliper came out no problem by inserting a torque bit no. CR-MV 45 into the rounded allen hole after a little bit of tapping with a hammer.

I did have visions at one stage of having to drill them all the way out.

The upper of the two pins were real pigs I ended up drilling through the center of the head with first a 4.5mm drill, followed by a 7mm drill and lastly a 9mm drill go as deep as the thread so you can get the other torque bit in comfortably, this was a CR-MV 10 has more splines on it and gets a good grip. They came out easily with a ratchet and attachment.

Be aware that the caliper pistons retract as you work on the brake so I periodically operated the brake lever to put them back into position.

I could find no signs of corrosion on any of the four pins, they were clean and looked almost new.

The part has changed from an allen bolt to a 12mm socket head in line with all newer models, I did comment at the time I ordered the new parts that if I knew these newer type pins would fit I would have had some of them fitted. It turned out that they did fit and the reason for the part number change was obvious.

I applied copious amounts of copper slip to the pins on re-assembly and torqued them to the recommended 25nm.

Did Yamaha know something I did not, before I started this?

:photographing:

Key to photographs.

1. Slide pins.

2. Left to right. Lower right caliper. Lower left caliper. Upper right caliper. Upper left caliper

3. Two torque bits.

4. Torque bit fully home in 9mm hole.

5. The new slide pin, with copious amounts of copper slip.

6. Nearly in one piece again.

Neil. (Old Miner).

Edited by Old Miner
LOst Photographs

Old Miner,

Excellent post! This is the kind of stuff that really helps. I'll write the new numbers down and get some, so when I do my front brakes this spring I'll have these on hand. No doubt Yamaha switched for the obvious reasons.

Thanks,and great pics.

Steve

Yeah Neil,

I had the same thing happen to me a while back and striped out an allen socket hole. But I just happened to have another caliper in my junk drawer that I robbed a replacement from. But I had noticed from working on a friends newer RSV that Yamaha had changed these pins from an allen to a 12mm nut. So I too went an ordered a new set. But in cases like this I always pick the newest RSV to select parts for rather than my 02 Midnight, just to make sure I get the most current component.

Good post,

Rick

Edited by Rick Butler

Wished I had some spare parts like you all have. Drool.:sign green with env

There aren't a lot of RSV's in the Uk as they only sold a few of the new 2nd gen in 1999-2000. Then the line was discontinued here. (Bad move in my opinion). Then a few were sold on the European mainland, just about the same bike but no CB, so second hand parts are hard to come by so I buy anything on e-bay that comes up. If the price is right.

Fortunately Yamaha dealers can get new parts (at a price) for the model within three days if they aren't in stock, which I dont think is a bad set up.

I get a lot of tips from all of you so keep up the good work on the site.

Neil. (Old Miner).