IGNORED

Moly 60.

ken

I plan to grease up every thing in the rear end and the driveshaft of my RSV while the tires off for some fresh rubber. Should I use moly 60 on all the gears and the hub fingers or should I used bearing grease on the hub gears and fingers?

I plan to grease up every thing in the rear end and the driveshaft of my RSV while the tires off for some fresh rubber. Should I use moly 60 on all the gears and the hub fingers or should I used bearing grease on the hub gears and fingers?

I too agree that you should use Honda Moly60 in all of those locations. I put it on using an Acid Brush from the plumbing department of a hardware store, but I cut the bristles off to about 3/8" length so they are STIFF!!!!

The moly lube is really a very high pressure metal to metal lube. Most of these applications the moly isn't helping.

Actually it helps a lot especially when shifting gears when normal grease will migrate out of the contact area the Moly stays put!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

Honda or Acura car dealer. Same 8 oz tube but the price should be around $10. If they don't have it they can usually order it and have it the next day. Part# is 08734-0001.

Well then:95: I got some off ebay. I think it's a 3oz tube for 11.47. Bend over please.:bawling:

So, Moly-60 is a Honda product. What does Yamaha recommend?

In the service manual Yamaha only lists "molybdenum disulfide grease"...

Honda Moly60 is a small container of a high quality moly paste. It is PROBALLY a Molykote product repackaged for Honda.

you should read the Wikipedia article on molybdenum disulfide

And I'm guessing Moly-60 isn't the same thing as Moly-graphite.

Correct!!!!! in a spline applicaitn Moly60 is supperior!!!!!!

It is a high percentage of Moly that makes splines last a long time!!!!!!!!

Most Moly greases are about 4% moly while Moly60 is 40% Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the service manual Yamaha only lists "molybdenum disulfide grease"...

Honda Moly60 is a small container of a high quality moly paste. It is PROBALLY a Molykote product repackaged for Honda.

you should read the Wikipedia article on molybdenum disulfide

Correct!!!!! in a spline applicaitn Moly60 is supperior!!!!!!

It is a high percentage of Moly that makes splines last a long time!!!!!!!!

Most Moly greases are about 4% moly while Moly60 is 40% Moly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that explanation.

• 2 months later...
Guest scarylarry
Make sure your wearing a good pair of disposable nitrile gloves. That stuff is sure hard to get off your hands. :smile5:

sign%20yeah%20that.gif:sign yeah that:

Well then:95: I got some off ebay. I think it's a 3oz tube for 11.47. Bend over please.:bawling:

hmm maybe not.. I just bought some recently from local Honda car dealer and it was $13.10 for a 3oz tube!!! It seemed high for the size for sure.

I think BigBoy you may be wrong about the 8oz because I got the same part number on my invoice that you listed.

But that 3 oz tube could last a very long time.. I greased the rear splines, etc.. at a recent maint day and barely made a dent in it..

And I used someones acid brush idea and that worked good.

Edited by Globewalker
add

I bet it was the same place I just ordered my tube from (Dexter Honda Yamaha, in Michigan) I called the Honda car dealership here and they wanted $19.00 plus tax. The Dexter people where the cheapest place I could fine. $11.47 which included shipping.

So, about the Redlind CV-2. Is that a yes or a no?

If you mean Red Line CV-2 then I would say that Honda Moly60 is preferred as CV-2 does NOT contain molybdenum disulphide according to its MSDS I found HERE but according to it's web page HERE it contains "Red Moly" whatever that is....