IGNORED

rear wheel removal/shock check list (help)

Rockdoc

Just before I take out the rear wheel on my 2000 RSV (18,000 miles) does anyone have any last minute tips for re-greasing etc anywhere important while the back is broken down like this, and is there any way of checking if the rear shock has gone once its off the bike. There dos not appear to be any oil leak etc. Oh and next time I need to take off the reare wheel I'm going to use Dons method of front whell off, drop the nose and then off with the rear (if it works for RSV 2nd gens). Its taken two days on and off to get the rear wheel clear.

Thanks for all your tips... oh the reason for this strip is to thry and stop the bad sqweek from the rear shock everytime I take it off the centre stand.

I am not sure why it has taken you 2 days to get the rear wheel off, do you have a Jack?? I am not sure about the front wheel off trick on a 2nd gen, it works on a first gen. If your shock is groaning it is on its way out, you can try to put some fork oil in through the shrader valve, this helps sometimes, allthough it did nothing for mine when it was dieing. while you have the wheel off, there is a snap ring on the rear wheel housing, remove that, then pull out the hub with the splines on it, may have to pry abit with a screw driver to get it out, clean with steel whool and lightly grease with Moly 60, and reinstall, there is a big "O"ring on there, be carefull not to screw it up and replace. If the drive shaft has never been lubed, this is a good time to do it, but can be a bear to get it back in. just remove the 4 acorn nuts and pull the whole assembly back, grease splines on shaft and reinstall..thats the tricky part. I am sure someone else will add to this but this is a good starting point. Good luck and take your time.

Kreg

Sorry Kreg its felt like two days. Its very cold and there's no heater in the garage. I guess I've spent about five hours on it so far. Thanks though for the info about the rear hub and I'm sure gonna take my time, I am alitle nervous about that part of the strip.

Yep, 18,000 miles is nothing on 10 year old mount. I'm the third owner as well. Actually the very few RSV's that come up for sale here in the UK often have silly mileage for the year.

Thanks everyone again.

:bagpipes-emoticon: