IGNORED

How's the 1st gen winter projects coming along?

I have been collecting a lot of junk, but not getting a lot of stuff done. My son andI have figured why the 85 Royale did not have any spark when I bought it and it appears to be the TCI. I got one on ebay for $7.50 plus about $7 in shipping as the only bidder and when we plugged it up, the bike started. I have no doubt the bike will need a lot of TLC, but it is complete and we will just have to go through it and see what it is going to take. This was the bike and spare engine I got for $550.

It was a bit weird that as part of checking things out, we took the original TCI off the 85 and put it on my 83 and it not only would not start, but when I plugged the original TCI back up, it would not fire either. But, when we plugged up the ebay TCI, it would run. So, I bought another one and got it for $7.99 as I got it with a set of coils and a bunch of relays for a total of about $35, including shipping. This was also exactly the same number as the one on my bike. Hopefully, that will work and maybe I can see if my original 83 TCI is bad.

The other part of the projects on my 83 is to replace the engine with the one I got with the 85 deal that is supposed to have only 30,000 miles on it. My plans are to split it and replace the transmission with the 2nd gen RSV transmission that I have, which I only paid $25 for. But, in case there is a problem with the change over, I bought an 86 transmission for $24.95 and forks for $4.99. With all that, plus a starter clutch assembly to have as a backup, I got it all, including shipping for about $60. I thought I did pretty good on that too. I will also put the solid motor mounts in that I got from Steve (SGN) that really look good. The other part of this project is to install the V-Max rear drive I got that I think will go real good with the 2nd gen trans.

The one thing that is going to cost me is I took my Corbin seat to an upholster today and that is going to cost about $250 the be redone, ouch. I really like the seat and it works real good for me with the modifications I have already done earlier, so I hope it will be worth it.

Soooooo, now my biggest thing is to get motivated on getting something done. I probably need to get the 83 running good before I try to replace the engine as I will be using my original carbs. And, as a backup, if there are any problems with the 85 engine or transmission, even though it is about 500 past the serial number fix, I will have my 83 engine and it already has an 86 transmission.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Thanks for asking, Randy.

For me it's slow but sure, finishing a big job is followed by cleaning up a bunch of little jobs, attacking them one at a time in what little spare time I have, :p doing at least one thing a day. Today, I continued to source supplies, I ordered some nuts and bolts that were destroyed in the engine transplant, and I cleaned up the water pump elbow, then put on some new O-rings.

:D

Sorry to say I have only just been riding my first gen and loving it. I installed my new fork brace on Sunday. Is that a winter project? I had my valves checked and my carbs set up.

I am still looking for a new reflector to go across the trunk box so I can get my "collector" plates and insurance. I am going to buy some progressive springs next, gotta find out who has the best deal on them.... input?

Ride on.

:Venture: :mo money:

I have accomplished hooking up the battery tender and that is about it.

I am hoping to place an order for steel in about 2 weeks so I can start building my receiver hitch and valve tool. Once I have a hitch then I need to build and/or aquire a trailer before MD.

I still need ti find out exactly why I have this huge green puddle under the bike and fix that so that it can be driven.

I do not have a garage to work in and it has snowed every single day this year.:bang head:

Got a new HID setup installed with the on/off switch. Tried some of the wireing mods to no avail. Still have the headlight out lite on the cms, I just cut one side of the flashing warning telling me that the bulb is out but the hi/low works great off the handlebar switch. Hope to pull the collector off to check for leaks and weld it up if needed,and pull the drive shaft and grese the splines. That would be it for winter projects now come on sunshine and melt this dang snow away.:97:

Tore the carbs apart, cleaned and installed new float bowl (4) and float needle valve (4) orings.

Cleaned fuel filter.

Replaced hornet deer whistle toggle switch with push button. (Thanks PickenFred!)

Lowered front end 1".

Took leveling links off.

Welded up a cooler rack 18"L X 24"W

FIXED THE FURNACE IN MY GARAGE ... OBSTRUCTION IN THE PILOT LIGHT ORIFICE. Hey I just got tired of working in the cold!

Next(today)

Installing 5 wire to 4 wire converter Hopkins 48915 on bike

Prime and paint cooler rack

Wire it up tonight?

Then:

Still waiting on my Morgan carb tune...

will have to take to Yamaha dealership to get rear shock replaced.

Other than that ... Nothing much.

Waiting to see if the weather is going to let me ride to the launch on 2/24/2011.

Will definately make the April launch as it's going to be a Night launch!

Pulling the engine out to split it and fix 2nd gear. Will be working on it again tonight. (Thanks everyone for the tips on getting the collector off the pipes). Ordering all the parts I THINK I need from Earl right now.

While it is out will be converting to stainless brake lines and de-linking the brakes. Also have a new Starter motor from a 2nd gen. Changing the front master cylinder to a Mk2. Cleaning up some custom wiring :-). Repairing a small crack and a missing tab on the left fairing.

I have an 87 trunk coming which is the right colour. BUT the clear is coming off and I need to figure out how to re-clear coat it without damaging the base coat.

Nothing bring done right now! mostly because lost out on 2 parts bikes that supposedly had good usable upper outer fairings.Still looking tho even tho phantom wife says "your never going to get that bike fixed and she always thought it was""ugly"" but also why should I fix it if we are going to get me"us" a NEW bike in a year or so! I will believe that when I see it. She says I can buy brand new Venture after car is paid for. NOT REALLY BELIEVABLE BUT I will see.Hope I'm wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could say that mine is progressing as well as everyone elses. Got the 92 basket case last July. It had a broken drive shaft and damaged final drive. Came from an estate and had been apart since 2004 and several parts had been lost as well.

Spent most of the summer aquiring the missing parts, worst one was the nut for the axle shaft, finally bought a used axle from Pinwall for $11 delivered in order to get what dealer wanted $20 plus shipping for.Thought that I did pretty good when I found a drive shaft, rubber boot and final drive for $100 and a pair of saddlebags complete with hardware, keys, crome and lights for $75.

Cleaned the carbs, cleaned and lined the fuel tank, new fuel lines, new spark plugs, got every thing back together.......no spark. Checked every connection and every switch in the electrical system.....must be either the tci or the pickup....think that the pickup is ok, but not 100% sure. Thanks again to all here who gave suggestions on how to trouble shoot the problem.:thumbsup2:

I have yet to see any of those bargains for a tci for the 90 - 93 models, so I ordered the Ignitech unit in November, cost was the same as used TCI's that I could find and figured I might as well have a brand new unit vs a used one. Came with the wrong cable and wrong programming.:( Ignitech has been very helpful and I now have the wiring changed in the harness to be correct, but have not been successful with reprogramming the unit yet. But, at least the PC recognizes that the unit is there and connected to the bike. Next step is to probably have Ignitech send me a new CD with the correct programing on it.

Hard to get a real motivated with -0 temps (heat wave this week, may make +25) and 3 feet of snow outside.:cold:

:sign20:You braggin' again....?? I've got two boxes of do-mods ready to go on Miss Piggy...just as soon as it quits Foggin'...... So it's not just a One Gen thing...

Actually, I lied (a bit).

I just finished mounting and hard-wiring my GPS so I got the fairing split (again).

Will be ordering a Clearview w/s next month.

2 weeks ago I made and installed the levelling links.

Last weekend I finished "jazzing up" my air cleaners.

Took the dremel sander to the rest of the "fake fins" edges so they are all shiny against the black now.

Cleaning and polishing never ends.

Plan on installing aftermarket fuel filter.

Plan on hooking up an MP3 player if I can't get the Sirius working (won't happen until mid April when my subscription resumes)

Got chrome brake/clutch reservoir covers coming.

May be ordering saddle bag rails in near future.

I'm sure there will be more "bling" going on before summer.

Man, you sure found some unbelievable bargains on those TCI's!!!!!

There was another one I was going to bid on and it went for $30 to one bid. I was mad at myself for that one. Yeah, I have been lucky so far on what I wanted and what I got it for. The 86 trans was listed earlier for $50 with no takers so it was relisted again for $24.95 and I was the only bidder. I don't undrestand why these MKI guys don't snatch these MKII transmissions up and I got the one I now have in my 83 for $25 several years ago. I got this latest one yesterday and the 2nd gear dogs look like new. Plus, it will already have the improved thrust washer.

RandyA

I have yet to see any of those bargains for a tci for the 90 - 93 models, so I ordered the Ignitech unit in November, cost was the same as used TCI's that I could find and figured I might as well have a brand new unit vs a used one. Came with the wrong cable and wrong programming.:( Ignitech has been very helpful and I now have the wiring changed in the harness to be correct, but have not been successful with reprogramming the unit yet. But, at least the PC recognizes that the unit is there and connected to the bike. Next step is to probably have Ignitech send me a new CD with the correct programing on it.

Steve,

Get a hold of member saltcreep. He is running the ignitech module in a 92 Venture. He may be able to help you with the program file you need. His file should work for you.

It is only about 3kb in size, easily emailed. File name will be xxxxx.ign. X's will be different in his file name. It can be saved from what is in the bikes module.

If you or he heed help to retrieve the file call me and I will assist.

Gary

I am putting on a front fender guard. I found a great deal on a rear fender with a mud flat.I will be putting that on as well.I got my chin scoop back from the rechromer. I will replace a bad coil and try to fix my oil leak.:dancefool:

Edited by paysaw

There was another one I was going to bid on and it went for $30 to one bid. I was mad at myself for that one. Yeah, I have been lucky so far on what I wanted and what I got it for. The 86 trans was listed earlier for $50 with no takers so it was relisted again for $24.95 and I was the only bidder. I don't undrestand why these MKI guys don't snatch these MKII transmissions up and I got the one I now have in my 83 for $25 several years ago. I got this latest one yesterday and the 2nd gear dogs look like new. Plus, it will already have the improved thrust washer.

RandyA

I was going to try putting a 2nd Gen Tranny in mine but somebody else wanted it.....:whistling:

I wasn't snoozing that time thought I would let you find out if it would work or not. Somebody got to be the...umm Test Pilot!!:whistling:

Well, thank you very much.

Actually, I need to get out in the garage and get busy on that project. I currently have a small block Chevy engine sitting on the small dolly that I used before that I need to get rid of.

I also need to find the numbers on the comparison of the three different gear sets that were made for the V-4 engine.

RandyA

In a comparison using a 1st gen trans with a stock rearend and a 2nd gen trans with a V-Max rearend, this is what I have come up with at the rear wheel:

1st gear 8% lower

2nd gear 2.3% lower

3rd gear 1% higher

4th gear same

5th gear 3.8% higher

Another comparison would be 5th gear at 3500 rpms would be 3367 rpms for the same speed.

To go from a 1st gen trans to a 2nd gen trans with the stock rearend, the changes would be:

1st gear 2.8% higher

2nd gear 8.5% higher

3rd gear 12.3% higher

4th gear 11.3% higher

5th gear 15.3% higher

A comparison in 5th gear at 3500 rpms would be 3036 rpms, which is a significant drop in rpms for the same speed.

As you can see, a 1st gen with a 2nd gen trans and a V-Max rear would be quicker thru 1st and 2nd and very little different thru 3rd and 4th and still have a slightly lower rpm for cruising.

RandyA

Tugged,pulled, prodded, cleaned,changed and massaged everything I'm gonna do to Sputnik. But I am currently resurrecting my fathers 1972 Kawasaki 350 Bighorn. Talk about a time warp. Last time it was ridden was in 1983. Its been sitting in my parents basement ever since. Must have been a excellent place to hibernate because it is in fairly pristine condition for its age. Motors up and running, new chain and sprockets, new tires, new battery. Replacing front fork seals next. Trying to find a good set of original handlebars now, these have been welded and will not pass inspection. Also have to fit some turn signals back on it. They have walked off somewhere. I'll post some pics when I'm done.:D

In a comparison using a 1st gen trans with a stock rearend and a 2nd gen trans with a V-Max rearend, this is what I have come up with at the rear wheel:

1st gear 8% lower

2nd gear 2.3% lower

3rd gear 1% higher

4th gear same

5th gear 3.8% higher

Another comparison would be 5th gear at 3500 rpms would be 3367 rpms for the same speed.

To go from a 1st gen trans to a 2nd gen trans with the stock rearend, the changes would be:

1st gear 2.8% higher

2nd gear 8.5% higher

3rd gear 12.3% higher

4th gear 11.3% higher

5th gear 15.3% higher

A comparison in 5th gear at 3500 rpms would be 3036 rpms, which is a significant drop in rpms for the same speed.

As you can see, a 1st gen with a 2nd gen trans and a V-Max rear would be quicker thru 1st and 2nd and very little different thru 3rd and 4th and still have a slightly lower rpm for cruising.

RandyA

I started another thread, expanding a little on Randys gear ratio findings.

I thought a few others may see it that may not look at this thread.

Not wanting to seem like an attention whore though.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=56189

Gary