IGNORED

Heading to Hawaii

HALRSV99

Been a while since I've posted, "life" gets in the way. Gayle and myself are heading to Waikiki for a couple of weeks next week. Lots of things to do in 2 weeks but just wondering if anyone has been and has a suggestion of those not to miss places or things to do. Bike shop is right next door to were we are staying so that is on the list. We are 2 blocks from Waikiki beach, walking distance to Diamond head and looking forward to getting away. 8 more:draming:

Hal

Been a while since we were there but I would think Pearl Harbor and the Cemetery.

We found more to do on the other islands and Honolulu is pretty much a commercial city but hey its it Hawaii.

Have fun,

BOO

Rose and I were over there in 96, Waikiki Beach is OK in the winter, everyones up north at North shore for the big waves. Check out the Bhuddist Temple and cemetery along the north side, of course Pearl Harbor. There was also a submarine that you could walk on which is right by the football stadium.

Like it was said before, we enjoyed the other islands a bit better, Maui was sensational if you wanted to rent a bike for the day. I suggest riding over to Hana on the east side, but watch out for the curves!

Have fun and Rose and I are EXTREMELY JEALOUS!

Have been many times but we always go to our time share on The Big Island.

I would have to agree that the Cemetery and Pearl Harbor are a must see. Everyone I know who has seen it said is a quite sobering event. I would think the beach is also a must do.

My wife has been there she says include Diamond Head, Hanauma bay, and The North Shore to see the waves and the surfers. There is also an aquarium and zoo there.

If you are like me you will be eating fish and seafood 3 times a day. The fresh fruit is awesome and of coarse you gotta try the "Spam" (a local favorite)

We have always found it is best to get off the beaten path and ask the locals where they go to eat. The prices are better and the food is more authentic.

If you are a scuba diver you will be in heaven.

A few years ago we did our week in Kona, the took a 7 day cruise to all the islands. That was very interesting as you got to see the differences of each island. (they are all very unique)

We just got in from Cozumel this morning. Went on a family vacation with 12 of my closest in-laws. They had a cold front come in so I couldn't dive but it was still a fun trip. Fortunately I like most of my in-laws.

The reason we are going to Waikiki is my mom stays there and has room for us, so we are taking full asvantage of the free accomadations. Thanks for the suggestions we will try and get all of them in. We are thinking of going to the other islands. We will decide when we get there.

Hal

The DOLE pineapple place is worth seeing too. The others are already mentioned. Enjoy your trip!

Get the pineapple ice cream there. It really taste like pineapple. Also hit pearl harbor early if you can. All the sites (memorial, Bowfin, Missouri) will take all day. Less crowd early.

Get the pineapple ice cream there. It really taste like pineapple. Also hit pearl harbor early if you can. All the sites (memorial, Bowfin, Missouri) will take all day. Less crowd early.

Good point, I had almost forgot about getting out to Pearl Harbor early. If you don't get there early then you will have quite a wait to catch a boat out to the Arizona.

As I recall we were there 30 to 45 minutes before they opened to get a ticket.

Have Fun,

BOO

Get hooked up for a trip to the north side of the island and go see the "Polynesian cultural center" It is something to see & you learn about more than just Hawaiians.

Definitely do the Pearl Harbor tour. The Aquarium is pretty cool too! I don't know your itinerary, but if you get to the other 3 major islands, you'll be way past thrilled. In any event, just go everywhere you can; I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Have mass quantities of fun and take lots of pics! :thumbsup:

My wife and I just returned from the island of Molokai HI. There are some pretty good deals on Alaska Air from the pacific northwest but I was looking for a better deal.

I thought I would check to see what Google suggested.

Here is what it told me. Definitely take a little longer but it may be cheaper!

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=surrey,+bc&daddr=Honolulu,+HI,+United+States&hl=en&geocode=FelL7QIdTMut-Clbpz9NA9yFVDHgmNWrmEiL0g%3BFUAeRQEd40WX9ilNRsOMOxgAfDFsl6fzX_UoSw&mra=ls&sll=21.306944,-157.858333&sspn=0.309621,0.441513&g=Honolulu,+HI,+United+States&ie=UTF8&z=4]Surrey, BC, Canada to Honolulu, HI - Google Maps[/ame]

Click on the link at the top of the map and take note of step 15 & 16.

Hope you enjoy HI.

Have a great trip Hal and Gayle. We were there a few years ago and did everything mentioned here. It was everything we had dreamed of so you will definately have a great time. See you later this year at a meet and you can tell us all about it. Take care: John & Dianne

Well we got our list and want to thank you all for the suggestions. We are packed and ready. Now we wait to take off on Wed. morning in the middle of the worst storm so far this winter.:snow2: They say somewhere around 30cm(12") with 50km(30mph) winds. Should be fun.

Hal

I'll be on Oahu during February too, but for work. I don't have my itinerary yet. I have been to Ouahu about 10 times in the past two years.

For seafood I go to Uncles or Nico's on the commercial fishing piers. FRESH and affordable, but you have to drive there.

If you want a twisty ride, get on Tantalus drive. Be sure to start at "The Punchbowl" it is the National Cemetery of the Pacific.

I usually go snorkeling in Humama Bay.

Go see Palli Heights. Nice view but they charge for parking now.

Get a copy of Oahu Revealed and try to only eat in the ONO restaurants.

For souvenirs try to get to the flea market at the stadium (IIRC it is Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday) to get the best prices, but they usually sell to the lower end of the quality scale. fun to walk around.

If you are buying Harley T-Shirts for friends, there are actually three different dealerships on the island. one has all the stores in Waikiki and Honolulu, you have to go to the other side of the island for the other two.... one north and one north west....... they are in the phone book. try to buy only local artist shirts... they are unique.

I normally have a Spam musubi or two while I am in Hawaii but getting some Portuguese Sausage for breakfast is a unique experience.

Try to get some Laulau or butter fish wings.... MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm

In Waikiki bring your wallet, EVERYTHING is expensive!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

• 2 weeks later...

We have been here for over a week and have checked off alot on the list. Rented a 2010 Ultra and toured the Island. Also did Tantalis Dr. Very beautiful ride. I must admit I give the Ultra a very strong 9 out of 10 and so does Gayle. Well back to being a tourist and soaking up the 86 degree weather. Sorry to everyone who are getting nail with all the white stuff.

Hal and Gayle

Hey Hal, Gayle, glad you guys are having a great time and the weather is a little more cooperative than here, we are at a balmy -19C and snow up the wazoo, so enjoy your vacation and soak up the sun while you can. Hope see you at Carls M&E in March.

Ian & Pat :snow:

We have been here for over a week and have checked off alot on the list. Rented a 2010 Ultra and toured the Island. Also did Tantalis Dr. Very beautiful ride. I must admit I give the Ultra a very strong 9 out of 10 and so does Gayle. Well back to being a tourist and soaking up the 86 degree weather. Sorry to everyone who are getting nail with all the white stuff.

Hal and Gayle

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee,

I knew there was a good reason we got you that Harley shirt for Xmas..:stickpoke: :D:D

:rasberry::rasberry: :whistling::whistling: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: