IGNORED

So what kind of MP3 music player do you use?

SilvrT

I'm contemplating dumping my Sirius radio in favour of an mp3 player. I know nothing about these things as I've never had one so am looking for a little guidance.

What do ya'll use?

Does it plug into the aux port on the scoot?

How do you keep it charged up?

How did you mount it on your scoot?

How much did it cost?

Any other info you can provide?

...and I am cheap so don't want to give up my arm and leg for one.

Thanks

I have a Garmin Nuvi GPS with built in mp3 player, just load an sd card with your favorite music, pop it in the Nuvi and you are good to go, music, maps and more! I put a splitter in the fairing for the aux in, and just plug it in the power port in the fairing. Works great for me.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

My phone (droid x) plug and play or bluetooth.

Ipad plug and play.

xmp3 is mp3 and xm radio also records xm plug and play or fm transmiter.

zoon plug and play.

Keep in mind unless you already have all the music you want it can cost a lot to build a collection.

8G Ipod Nano also I use the velcro arm band You use for running and have it strapped around my brake master cylinder and a short cord to the front of the cassette player. I have a cigaret

lighter adapter if I need to charge but it lasts for hours. My other plan is to put the audio splitter in the fairing and run a jack back to the pouch on my tank bra, that I have not yet put on my bike. I should have never bought her new I 'm just afraid I might hurt her some how.

I use a Sansa Fuse or less expensive Clip model. The difference is that the Fuse has a display if you want movies or photos on it. You can buy a refurb 4gb Fuse and the aux cable for about $50 or a 2gb and cable for about $35-$40. It is also a voice recorder (if you have a need for anything like that) and it has the clearest FM radio you'll ever hear if you want to use it off of the bike. It's only about as big as an old fashioned cigarette lighter and half as light. And the Clip is less than half that size. A 1" square piece of self adhesive velcro is the best mount for it.

My wife first "had to have" a $250 iPod... she has no idea where it is since she bought her Clip.

Thanks for all the suggestions guyz ... not sure which I'll get yet but ya'll have answered my Q's for the most part.

For those with an XM or Sirius radio, I do like them but I've found the hardware not too reliable. I had an XM set and it bombed after about a year. Now I have a Sirius Stratus 5 and it's just over a year and I keep getting "antenna not found" ... apparently this is a real issue with these. Considering the cost of the unit and the price for the service, I'm thinking it's really not worth it ... and an MP3 player would be better.

Just get one you can read. Mine is so small. I can't see the little LCD, even with glasses. On the 1st gen I use a cass converter to plug the mp3 into the radio. Works..not great. I might try a FM reciever thinky this spring. It might sound better.

Im considering just going with my Motorola Droid x phone for everything now. The thing can do everything I need for a trip in a small package Phone, GPS, MP3, Camera, Video Player, Phone book, Bluetooth stereo, weather radar, Internet etc. What cant this thing do. Just need to find a suitable mount to guard against elements and use all of its features.

Im considering just going with my Motorola Droid x phone for everything now. The thing can do everything I need for a trip in a small package Phone, GPS, MP3, Camera, Video Player, Phone book, Bluetooth stereo, weather radar, Internet etc. What cant this thing do. Just need to find a suitable mount to guard against elements and use all of its features.

My phone also plays music and can hold quite a lot but the music interface is a PITA to use.

I am a fan of the 10-15 dollar 2 or 4 GB ones with no screen and a rechargeable battery. Some run off of a single AAA (which has its advantages too). 2GB is more than enough space for a days worth of music. And for 15 bucks, if something happens to it while I am riding, I am not out the ridiculous amount of cash I would be otherwise.

Yeah, I'm cheap like that.

Oh yeah, and a few cassettes for when the batteries die on the real long days can be handy if radio reception is sketchy.

I don't like the fancy screens or whatever because I don't ever look at it while I am driving anyways, so I don't mind not having a screen using energy that could otherwise be spent on putting out the tunes.

Setting up a play-list ahead of time or just loading the songs I want to listen to for that day ahead of time is easy to do.

6 years ago when I first purchased my xm radio I stopped using it because I keep getting the " no single found".

I now have 2 bikes with 2 different antennas for my bike. My Venture has a House antenna and my Kaw. Versys has a " motorcycle antenna. I also use the house on my boats instead of the small car antenna.

I also have Ipods, a friend of mine who collects music put close to 19,000 songs, old time radio show and books on my latest Ipod.

Cb

My radio, CB, etc. quit working so I bought a 5th Gen IPOD that has all bells and whistles (particularly a FM receiver) and I plug it into the AUX plug on the tape deck. I removed all the crap associated with the YAMA audio sytem and put in a 150w amp that the IPOD is run through. I use the existing speakers and all works well.

On a side note: I have all the stock audio equipment available, along with new fold down antennas (Marshal Mod) if anyone is interested. I have no idea what works and what does not work. I checked with Yamaha before going with the IPOD to see what it would cost to replace the stock amp and controller and I was shocked when they told me the price, so I decided to rip it all out. I never used the CB are hardly ever listened to the radio. Now I can play "my music" when I want and also have FM radio when needed.

Biggest advantage of the iPhone as a mp3 player is that it has full voice control. get a bluetooth helmet setup and your "mount" is stuffing the phone in your pocket.

While riding if I want to listen to my road music I simply press the button on the bluetooth module stuck to the side of my helmet and wait for the "Bing Bing" noise.

Then say "Play Playlist Road"

it starts playing.

I want the next song I do the same but instead say "Next" or "Stop" etc... IT accepts a lot of voice commands and yes it works at 70mph, but not in a riding group of harleys with straight pipes.. But then I couldn't hear the music let alone myself thinking at that point.

Works great, no mounts, no forgetting it on the bike, no controls to install.

AS for Sirius, I found a old "radar detector" type used from a few years ago. they still sell them... http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=ProductAsset&cid=1126670687120 but the new ones have a useless FM transmitter. The old models could transmit to 10 bikes. Works great and is built like a tank. I just tune into the FM channel it is transmitting and enjoy that.

Interesting. We've had sat radios, both XM and Sirius, almost from the day they first started. Hubby is a 50's/60's R&R buff and just hates having to find a radio station that plays "his" music when we're traveling. So we bought one of the first Audiovox Sirius radios and have been using them almost exclusively ever since. The Sportster 4 in my car is over 3 years old and still going strong as is hubby's old Starmate which is even older.

We've not had any problems with the antennas. In fact the one in my car sits on the dashboard and works just fine. I've run both my XM Roady2 and my old Starmate [currently sitting in a boombox in the house] on my old maxi scooter. Ran the power off the bike's 12v outlet, had the radio stashed in a fanny pack hooked around the base of the handlebars with the antenna stuck on the brake resevoir lid. Hooked up a set of your garden variety earplugs and it all worked.

As for other options, I have a SanDisk SansaClip 4G MP3 player w/FM radio that also accepts the miniSD chips. It's about the size of an IPod Shuffle and can clip onto just about anything. The interesting thing about this lil toy is SanDisk offers prerecorded chips with a variety of music on them. The one I have is golden oldies of all kinds, country, Motown, R&B, etc. You name it. It's probably on there. I got it from QVC. The price of player + the chip is basically the same as what SanDisk sell the chip for. Not a bad deal. Rechargeable, runs off a mini/standard USB cable. The chip is suppposed to hold 1000 songs and I believe it. I haven't gone thru them all yet!

Thanks for all the suggestions guyz ... not sure which I'll get yet but ya'll have answered my Q's for the most part.

For those with an XM or Sirius radio, I do like them but I've found the hardware not too reliable. I had an XM set and it bombed after about a year. Now I have a Sirius Stratus 5 and it's just over a year and I keep getting "antenna not found" ... apparently this is a real issue with these. Considering the cost of the unit and the price for the service, I'm thinking it's really not worth it ... and an MP3 player would be better.