IGNORED

coolant drain question

Coolant drain on the front of my '86 VR is dripping.To replace that o-ring you remove the little set screw in the side and then does that plastic plug unscrew or wiggle out of there.That fitting and the little hose on top were plugged up with a reddish brown clay when I flushed the system,now that I cleaned everything out it started leaking.Thanks

Coolant drain on the front of my '86 VR is dripping.To replace that o-ring you remove the little set screw in the side and then does that plastic plug unscrew or wiggle out of there.That fitting and the little hose on top were plugged up with a reddish brown clay when I flushed the system,now that I cleaned everything out it started leaking.Thanks

After you remove the set screw, the knob will pull straight out, meaning no threads.

In reality, this won't happen though, you will have to pull on it and wiggle back and forth.

Next is a link to parts to fix it.

If you want to drain coolant, the drain plug is on the right side of bike on bottom of water pump housing.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1724&title=first-gen1983-1993-radiator-drain-upgrade&cat=22

Gary

Don't forget to wrap a rag around it while you are working it out of the housing. That way you don't have to spend any time looking for the ball bearing and spring detent.

They have been known to hide in the oddest places.

Clean out the inside of the valve housing it a piece of ScotchBrite pad to get the gung out.

And Skydoc_17's lil kit it a good fix. Not a drop from mine since I installed it.

:2cents:

If ya got the "On" / "Off" setting figured out ya got it made. Once you get the valve cleaned up you will be able to feel the detent a lot better.

These puppies are a common problem. Like the Off/On/Reserve setting on the fuel petcock they don't get moved a lot. Once you move them, they start that danged drip. Most folks don't notice it until cold weather sets in. When it's warm out and you ride a lot the o-ring holds pretty well. With the cold temps.....shrinkage.

And on another issue.....Ok......you probably know the setting on the valve is "Off" at the 2 o'clock position for running the bike. The "On" position at 2 o'clock is for draining the system. The "On" setting bypasses the thermostat to allow full drainage.

Now for that bit of info you are good to go. But in case of a problem down the road....like overheating because of a stuck shut thermostat.....just move the valve to the "On" position. That again, will bypass the thermo and let you get to a place to replace the thermo. It is a temporary fix, not for the long run. But it will get you to a safe place in a jam. A road side thermo replacement is not something I'd want to do. Tough enough in the garage.

Mike

:) Thank you. I actually wasn't sure about the plug's positioning. The picture in the manual is a little vague. I just got the bike and was changing out all of the fluids.That valve was pretty gunked up which made it hard to tell exactly how is was supposed to work.I'll get that o-ring changed out this week too. Thanks

1st pic.....running position.

2nd pic....draining position

attachment.php?attachmentid=53367&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1295147276attachment.php?attachmentid=53368&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1295147276

the setting on the valve is "Off" at the 2 o'clock position for running the bike. The "On" position at 2 o'clock is for draining the system. Mike

It looks like 2 identical pictures...and 2 identical descriptions (2 o'clock) for both ON and OFF....which is it????

1st pic.....running position.

2nd pic....draining position

Good Lord Snag, what happened to that plug?

Looks like it went skidding down the road at some point?

:confused24:

Not one of those appearance items though, I'm just sayin

Gary

Hey Trader,

Take a closer look at the pics. They are different. The valve falls into detent when turned to the proper 2 o'clock position. The "On" or "Off" have to be at 2 o'clock for it work properly.

Hi Gary,

Yeah, stuff ya buy in lots off fleaBay can be pretty rough some times. I clean up the usable stuff and stock it for "Just In Case". It's handy for pics to. LOL!