IGNORED

Don't run a red light if you live here...

SilvrT

Hey guys I don't wanna be a "wet blanket" here but I would just like to say, "don't run a red light anywhere, you could end up getting killed or hurting someone else"....Sorry it's the old cop in me...I have cleaned up after way too many people have decided to play the lets run a red light game and lost.....No matter who put them up, I hope the red light cameras scares folks into stopping at the light..Who knows it could be my family, or yours in the intersection at the time.....ODJ

I don't get it.. Why would the insurance company be doing this and not the police? How does the insurance company even have the authority to do this?

It's a government run insurance co and as such, is in control over all things related. ICBC is the principal insurer here. You can't drive a car or anything of the like without dealing with them. Even your driver's lic is controlled by them.

Hey guys I don't wanna be a "wet blanket" here but I would just like to say, "don't run a red light anywhere, you could end up getting killed or hurting someone else"....Sorry it's the old cop in me...I have cleaned up after way too many people have decided to play the lets run a red light game and lost.....No matter who put them up, I hope the red light cameras scares folks into stopping at the light..Who knows it could be my family, or yours in the intersection at the time.....ODJ

Guess I'm a wet blanket, too. Don't ever see a reason to run a red light (unless, of course, the red arrow won't change to green after a reasonable wait & it's safe to make that left turn). 100% in agreement with you.

I totally agree but around here, red light runners are everywhere. It's very bad. So many have a total disrespect for the rules. Hopefully these cameras will have an impact but many of those who seemingly have this disrespect are also the ones with seemingly endless money pits and as such, probably won't change until it starts really hitting them in the pocket book (after several offenses).

One of the good things about having mandatory government insurance is that unpaid traffic fines are automatically tacked onto a person's insurance renewal fees and/or driver's lic renewal.

I am fully in favour of putting an end to people running red lights. In my mind they are far more dangerous then people who drive fast. That goes for those who refuse to stop at stop signs or prior to entering a roadway from a driveway or parking lot as well.

But what about motorcycles who do stop at red lights and after a reasonable wait, go through them because they do not change for the motorcycle.

I'm also one of the folks that won't run a red light, I don't like the thought of getting slammed or hurting someone else. That being said, I don't really trust the cameras. I think it would be too easy to be falsely photographed and ticketed even if you didn't run the light (or speeding cameras are probably the most likely to falsely catch you). Once your picture gets taken, you're guilty and there's not much you can do to prove otherwise. At least if you're stopped by a LEO, you have a chance to reason with him as to why you feel you didn't make the transgression. And just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you.

I'm also one of the folks that won't run a red light, I don't like the thought of getting slammed or hurting someone else. That being said, I don't really trust the cameras. I think it would be too easy to be falsely photographed and ticketed even if you didn't run the light (or speeding cameras are probably the most likely to falsely catch you). Once your picture gets taken, you're guilty and there's not much you can do to prove otherwise. At least if you're stopped by a LEO, you have a chance to reason with him as to why you feel you didn't make the transgression. And just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you.

There's a certain level of truth to this; however, these things are highly sophisticated nowadays. One of the pitfalls tho is that it's the vehicle owner who gets the ticket as opposed to the actual driver. I don't know how successful one would be in disputing these situations.

As for LEO's, dunno about other areas of the country but it's one thing we are desperately short of around here and has been that way for a long time. That is one of the reason's people seem so willing to take chances ... nobody's around to catch them...it's a bit of human nature.

The theory of the red light cameras does not bother me as much as the implementation. There are some installations where they shorten the yellow light so that you either lock up for a full panic stop and risk getting rearended or you end up running the red. These type are not set up for safety but as a cash cow, and dramatically increase the number of crashes at those intersections.

The theory of the red light cameras does not bother me as much as the implementation. There are some installations where they shorten the yellow light so that you either lock up for a full panic stop and risk getting rearended or you end up running the red. These type are not set up for safety but as a cash cow, and dramatically increase the number of crashes at those intersections.

for some reason I'm feeling a sense of dejavous .... haven't we gone down this very same road before. :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

The canadian government has to pay for the free health insurance you get.

Where do you get the idea that it's FREE??

If that's true then we've all been getting ripped off!

In fact, we all have to pay monthly premiums, just like any other Insurance. Additionally, it only covers the basics and for a lot of things, we have to pay extra. Those of us who are lucky enough to work for a company that has a Group Insurance plan get additional coverage but we still wind up having to pay partially coz the plans don't always cover 100%.

for some reason I'm feeling a sense of dejavous .... haven't we gone down this very same road before. :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Several times I think. That lying beside or in the road waiting for the wagon with the flashing lights to pick you up is not a good feeling!! I would hate to think I was there or someone else was there because I was a Idiot and couldn't follow rules.

There's a certain level of truth to this; however, these things are highly sophisticated nowadays. One of the pitfalls tho is that it's the vehicle owner who gets the ticket as opposed to the actual driver. I don't know how successful one would be in disputing these situations.

As for LEO's, dunno about other areas of the country but it's one thing we are desperately short of around here and has been that way for a long time. That is one of the reason's people seem so willing to take chances ... nobody's around to catch them...it's a bit of human nature.

We've had those camera's here for some time, but luckily if you were not driving your car you can fill out the back of the form [it's a statutory declaration] stating you were not driving at the time, and put the name of the person who was. Same with speed camera

Has any one in this group have any input into one of these?

Super Protector Photo Radar

http://www.radarbusters.com/motorcycle-radar-detectors/motorcycle-accessories/superprotectorformotorcycles.cfm

Mythbusters featured products like this on one of their segments and they seemed to have almost no effect from what they aired on TV.

Gary

I don't mind red light cameras, it makes people think about it. You can download them to your GPS. This way you now where they are, and can pay better attention as these are high crash zone intersections.

We sure did not light the mobile cameras to catch speeders. An election promise that was kept, they were all sold to BC. :rotf:

Brad

The canadian government has to pay for the free health insurance you get.

That would not be a problem if our government was not giving it away to illigal immigrants and phony refugees. Just for the record I have no issue with legitimate immigrants or refugees that are willing to come here to live and let live, and earn there keep like the rest of us.

That would not be a problem if our government was not giving it away to illigal immigrants and phony refugees. Just for the record I have no issue with legitimate immigrants or refugees that are willing to come here to live and let live, and earn there keep like the rest of us.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Learn to speak the lingo and work for a living? No problem at all. That is what our country is about but not for a free ride and anything you can steal!!