IGNORED

06 RSV Trunk Repair

BoomerCPO

The inside 2 rear trunk hold-down bolts recently broke right through the trunk base on my 06 Midnight Venture. Looking things over revealed that my trunk does NOT have the re-inforcing kit which Yammi has for this design flaw.

Here's what I did to fix the problem. A trip to NAPA to pick up 2 large flat washers with 18mm holes in the center of the washers....a Plastic weld product by VersaChem called PLASTIC WELDER....rough grit emery cloth.

Procedure: 1) Roughen up the ABS with the emery cloth where you intend to use the Plastic Weld. 2) Shoot Plastic Welder directly onto the area of use...mix quickly and spread over area of repair. 3) Imbed flat washer on top of Plastic Welder being careful to center the hole in washer directly over the screw mounting hole on trunk hold-down chrome frame. Allow this to set-up overnight for full strength of Plastic Weld to form. (Product sets-up in 15 minutes if needed for quick roadside repair)

The next day.....Use remaining Plastic Weld to COVER the flat washers (Do NOT cover the washer holes!!) and trunk area in a 3"x 3" area. Allow this to set up for 24 hours.

The next day.....Cut 2 pieces of leather from an old belt....Punch out a hole in the center of each piece of leather large enough to allow the trunk mounting bolt to go through easily. Install each piece of leather between the trunk underside and the top of the bolt-holdown nut. Install a 17mm bolt and snug down everything. For this I used 2 leftover bolts from my saddlebags...(I had these when I installed the improved trunk bolts with knobs last year)

When all was done I then installed 2 NyLoc nuts on the trunk hold-down bolts and ran them up snug. This will prevent the hold-down bolts from vibrating loose again IMHO.

Note: A Yammi Dealer is ordering me a NEW lower trunk as the bike is still under Warranty. I did this repair mainly for a temporary fix and to test this Plastic Welder product. So far so good on the repair!! The Plastic Welder is rated for 3500psi strength!!:thumbsup2:

For anyone who has a Venture out-of-Warranty you might want to consider doing this to repair your trunk.

Boomer.....who sez if ya sniff the fumes from this stuff it puts a pretty color to what yer looking at for about 5 minutes....but it don't give ya the munchies.:crackup:

Oh yeah, I know your pain. I have the original bucket from my 02 RSMV in the attic. It punched the bottom out of the bucket even though it was supposed to have the cushion under it. I really think some mechanic forgot to install the cushion and later said "Oh s@#%" and threw away the incriminating evidence. I think that if needed I could make the original work again.

:farmer:

Looking things over revealed that my trunk does NOT have the re-inforcing kit which Yammi has for this design flaw.

Thanks for this writeup Boomer .... now, can anyone/someone post a pic of what the "reinforcing kit" should look like soas to know if a guy has it or doesn't.

Thanks for this writeup Boomer .... now, can anyone/someone post a pic of what the "reinforcing kit" should look like soas to know if a guy has it or doesn't.

The Dealer Service Manager told me it is nothing more than 2 pieces of metal plate roughly 2 1/2 " by 2 1/2 inches with a 18mm hole in the center of each plate. These sit directly inside the trunk over the mounting holes. The kit also includes a rubber bushing which fits under the trunk and over the mounting nut and longer mounting screws (2).

My guess is that the hard ABS trunk sitting directly on the hard chromed frame has a lot to do with the damage being done to the trunks.

I didn't have rubber bushings on hand so I used the thick pieces of belt leather under my trunk....Bear in mind this is just a temp fix for my trunk until my new one arrives at the Dealer's.

The Dealer Service Manager told me it is nothing more than 2 pieces of metal plate roughly 2 1/2 " by 2 1/2 inches with a 18mm hole in the center of each plate. These sit directly inside the trunk over the mounting holes. The kit also includes a rubber bushing which fits under the trunk and over the mounting nut and longer mounting screws (2).

Yeah. And the whole thing costs less than $20. So, if the dealer has to replace the trunk bottom it cost lots more than doing it right the first time.

I've seen the lack of the kit on several bikes I looked at this summer, all which should have had the kit. That's one of the first things I check when I look at a bike!!

Exerpt from a previous post of mine on the topic:

It looks like Part Shark is going to be the cheapest.

Go into the fiche (I used the 2002 model of the Venture). Pull up the Travel Bag. The parts are numbers 88, 89, 90, 91 and 92 (screws).

#88- PLATE 7 4XY-2846P-00-00 - $1.79

#89- PLATE,RUBBER 9 4XY-2849J-00-00 - $0.99

#90- PLATE, 8 4XY-2846R-00-00 - $1.76

#91- PLATE, RUBBER 11 4XY-2847T-00-00 - $0.99

#92- BLT,BTTN HD 92017-06016-00 - $0.99

Note: A Yammi Dealer is ordering me a NEW lower trunk as the bike is still under Warranty. I did this repair mainly for a temporary fix and to test this Plastic Welder product. So far so good on the repair!! The Plastic Welder is rated for 3500psi strength!!:thumbsup2:

:crackup:

So, just how much PSI does a pygmy stuffed in your trunk generate anyway???

Ruffy....who thinks Boomer's bad habit of overstuffing his trunk and saddlebags with pygmies contributed to this malady.....:smile5:

So, just how much PSI does a pygmy stuffed in your trunk generate anyway???

Ruffy....who thinks Boomer's bad habit of overstuffing his trunk and saddlebags with pygmies contributed to this malady.....:smile5:

Yer prolly right about dat Ruffy!:whistling:

Boomer.....who sez stuffing pygmies would be more enjoyable if the little runts were edible like crawfish.:(

I knew about the trunk problem before buying the '99, and the P.O. said that he had the trunk replaced under warantee in '04. So I figured I was good to go. Then we got into another discussion about the Y plate mod. Went out and checked the trunk, and sure enough... no plates, and the trunk had started to spider around the bolts. Used an ABS welding product on the cracks and ordered the plates from Y. Not expensive. Now I know I'm good to go....

• 4 weeks later...
Are these the little jewels that you are talking about,,,,:confused24:

I thought the photos were better.

Yep those are the trunk re-enforcing plates I now have.... and will be used when I install my new trunk this week. :cool10:

Boomer....who would appreciate any tips regarding this trunk change-out job.:whistling:

Yep those are the trunk re-enforcing plates I now have.... and will be used when I install my new trunk this week. :cool10:

Boomer....who would appreciate any tips regarding this trunk change-out job.:whistling:

Chief....when are you thinking of doing this? I have a 3 day weekend and will be off Monday. If you'd like a hand I'd be more than happy to run over cross into coonass country and help you out my friend.

Wow, this is the first I've heard of this problem. I'm going to be checking my RSV when I get home from work this afternoon! This is exactly why I am more than happy to support this website. I would never have known about this and probably found out on my way south to Rolling Thunder in a couple months. Again, Thanks for the great info! :cool10:

Joe,

Your '05 isn't part of this problem, the '99 and '00 models were the ones that didn't initially have the proper supports and they added them on to the production in '01 if memory serves me right. Check for your own piece of mind, but your '05 should have this already installed.

Good cause those were the only two pieces with the rubber gasket that I just couldn't remember where went, and it has been buggin me for months,,,,,:o Looked under the pad, and I had used large body washers, but have put them in their proper place now,,,:happy34:

Changing out the trunk is fairly easy. Taking it down to the very last little piece is where the fun comes in,,,,:):)

Good cause those were the only two pieces with the rubber gasket that I just couldn't remember where went, and it has been buggin me for months,,,,,:o Looked under the pad, and I had used large body washers, but have put them in their proper place now,,,:happy34:

Changing out the trunk is fairly easy. Taking it down to the very last little piece is where the fun comes in,,,,:):)

What little piece are ya talking about?:confused24:

Boomer....who does not have any mechanically-inclined pygmies to help him with this job.:depressed:

What little piece are ya talking about?:confused24:

Boomer....who does not have any mechanically-inclined pygmies to help him with this job.:depressed:

Somthing like this,,,,,,:yikes:

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo265/kj5ix/01%20Venture/trunk.jpg