IGNORED

road trip

barend

looks like i'll be making a little road trip if everything works out the way I hope. the "big" question is which way to go, my choices are either I40 East from CA to SC or stay a little lower and take I 10 and I 20. any thoughts? I want to do this in three days if possible (2300+ miles) -- hmm, maybe four:hihi:

800mi a day is tough on any bike....600 a day is reasonable....4-500 a day is fun....both are basic interstates...I 10 gets closer to the coast, new orleans, pensacola etc....take some long day trip loops, 5-700mi to get used the grind.....we were on the road at dawn, stopped every 100 miles, took a long lunch and did 500mi each day without too much trouble...

should've mentioned, I'll be picking up my Mother in Law's old truck and bringing it home. ( '86 Ford 250 extended cab with new engine/turbo) No leisure trip, a quick up and back. And no bike ride there either lest I can convince my ex brother in law to let me try his Hardley ....

The southerly route is 30 miles longer but seems to add a lot of metro areas, thanks for the info on I40.

Interstate 10 due to weather is your best route! Also if you have company switch off every 100 miles. That way everyone stays fresh and while it is your turn to drive you know you only have 100 miles or less to go before it is someone else turn. Easy goal and your no longer looking at that monotony of a long drive!

Also rent a book on tape from Cracker Barrel http://www.crackerbarrel.com/trip-booksaudio.cfm?doc_id=48, they can be return at any Cracker Barrel along the way and you pay only $3 something a week, or get one from the library. Listening to a good story while on a long drive really captures the imagination and again cuts down on the monotony!! I have gotten so engrossed listening to a BOT that I have sat in my vechicle for long periods even though I was at my destination!

I once drove, with another, 32 hours from the Pocono's, in Pennsylvania, to San Anotonio, TX using these procedures (1769 miles). Also did a run from LA to San Antonio (1353 miles). Both trips were without stop except for switching drivers! That being said I no longer tend to find myself in a hurry to get somewhere. I'd rather put along at about 300 miles a day and get myself easily distracted by the sites or people. It's nice to have that kinda time!

should've mentioned, I'll be picking up my Mother in Law's old truck and bringing it home. ( '86 Ford 250 extended cab with new engine/turbo) No leisure trip, a quick up and back. And no bike ride there either lest I can convince my ex brother in law to let me try his Hardley ....

The southerly route is 30 miles longer but seems to add a lot of metro areas, thanks for the info on I40.

Hmmm, check with the Muffinman, seems as he did a similar trip recently...

looks like i'll be making a little road trip if everything works out the way I hope. the "big" question is which way to go, my choices are either I40 East from CA to SC or stay a little lower and take I 10 and I 20. any thoughts? I want to do this in three days if possible (2300+ miles) -- hmm, maybe four:hihi:

It all depends on what time of the year you're making the trip. If it's in the next couple of months stay as far south as possible....

Yep, That my game plan, 450 to 500 miles a day to Cody.

:sign woo hoo: I'm gonna stay as far north as possible for Cody. Once across Nevada in 105° is enough. :scorched: Although if it's cooler I might just boogy out I-80 to Green River Wy and turn left.....

Hey Condor

I think you ought to rethink that Green River then left, unless you are on a dirt bike and want to ride on 300 miles of dirt. I can't see anything going north out of GR.

I thought I'd head up I 15 and either go through Yellowstone or head over toward Thermopolis. Might even take 89 north through the Snake River Valley, now that's a beautiful ride going into Jackson Hole.

What ever way you go enjoy the ride and I'll see you there.

As far as the original question If I were traveling coast to coast and wanted to make time I'd take 20 to Dallas then head up 287 to Amerillo and take 40 the rest of the way.

• 3 weeks later...

Flying out this coming Wednesday, probably hit the road to come back on Friday/Saturday and taking 10/20. anybody around Newport Beach, CA want to swing by and say hello let me know 864-444-5880

Planning on driving till dark everyday so don't know where I'll wind up to spend nights, sorry!

• 2 years later...

I am planning a trip with a buddy .We are leaving the Toronto area and working our way down.We are crossing at Detriot and doing the ride down. I will post my route but would like to meet some members on the way .I am looking forward to this.If all goes well it will be mid July.