Hello

I hope Anyone can help me...

My Battery from my 2002 Yamaha Midnight Venture is draining, after 3 days the battery is to low to start the bike....I first thought it was the battery , so I replaced it for a new one ..but I still have the same problem.

I put the Multimeter behind ..and it looks like, I have a drain of 0.18 Amp.

Does Anyone have any idea's what it can be ?

thank you

The only thing what I did Lately is..installing a BadBoy AirHorn ( I disconnected it ) ..I replaced the stock speakers not to long a go and and have additional Running/Brake light .

I don't think it can be from the speakers.

Hello

I hope Anyone can help me...

My Battery from my 2002 Yamaha Midnight Venture is draining, after 3 days the battery is to low to start the bike....I first thought it was the battery , so I replaced it for a new one ..but I still have the same problem.

I put the Multimeter behind ..and it looks like, I have a drain of 0.18 Amp.

Does Anyone have any idea's what it can be ?

thank you

I'll take an easier stab in the dark over this one... is this the original battery the bike came with? or even close to 5 years old? Bike batteries do have a finite life to them, some longer, some shorter. And they can slowly or suddenly lose their ability to hold a charge over time.

I just had to replace the battery out of my 2005 VStar, the batter wouldn't hold a sufficient charge over a period of time to crank the engine over so it had to be replaced.

The Battery on my 2006 RSV is holding up strong but I'll be replacing it this summer as a precaution due to previous electrical issues I had.

If nothing else, it's just an OLD battery you're suffering.. Take it out of the bike, put it on a trickle charge and after a full charge, meter the battery.. let it sit off charger for a few days and meter it again.. most likely your battery is just old and can't keep it up..

No pun intended..

I checked also the other Fuses, including behind the Lower Cowling ..and when I removed the Main Fuse ..the drain stops...so there 2 issues ...Draining from ...Memory Back up Fuse - Main Fuse.

Seaking ..I just Replaced the battery last week for a new one ( Christmas Present )..and I charged again the old one ..and left it on the work bench for the last few days..and the old battery kept the charge.

I hope, that anyone who live in my area, is willing to help me out ..to find the problem.

I checked also the other Fuses, including behind the Lower Cowling ..and when I removed the Main Fuse ..the drain stops...so there 2 issues ...Draining from ...Memory Back up Fuse - Main Fuse.

Seaking ..I just Replaced the battery last week for a new one ( Christmas Present )..and I charged again the old one ..and left it on the work bench for the last few days..and the old battery kept the charge.

I hope, that anyone who live in my area, is willing to help me out ..to find the problem.

My apologies, I missed that part in your original post about it being replaced and still draining.. (glasses on now.. )

Cheers

QUOTE]

Not familiar with wiring for midnight(RSV?and year?), but would expect all sub fuses to be wired after the main fuse, so disconnecting main fuse would disconnect the backup fuse(and all other fuses) and your electric drain. You appear to have successfully isolated problem to just your memory backup circuit, so now need to, 1 at a time, start disconnecting items powered by this circuit(radio, odo,..), repeating your tests as before to isolate item causing the problem.

FYI .18amps (180mA), although not severe, is about 10x what I would expect for normal memory circuits. I would expect 20mA or .02Amps. Suggest range down your amp meter to read 200mA-500mA.

You appear to have successfully isolated problem to just your memory backup circuit, so now need to, 1 at a time, start disconnecting items powered by this circuit(radio, odo,..), repeating your tests as before to isolate item causing the problem.

Where can I find the connectors that are powered by that circuit :scratchchin:

if someone could point out where to look.

The back up fuse provides keep alive power for the audio system. Unplug the cable to the cd changer if you have one and see if the drain goes away. The cd changer is always alive and sometimes the cartridge will get askew causing the changer to pull excessive power. if it is not the cd changer the plugs for the others are under the fairing. And there is a power plug at the cb under the trunk.

Mike

Unplug and re-plug all of the connections that you see under the faring, and if you have some put a little dab of dielectric grease on them. Unplugging, and re-plugging them breaks up any corrosion that may be on the pins, and makes for a better contact.

You would be supprised at the problems that have been solved by doing that.

Also, it may be beneficial for sanity sake to check all your added wiring for your brake/run lights and horn relay. Make sure non of the wires are being 'kinked' or bent to the point of almost being cut. Disconnect your horn wiring and remove the relay.

I took the fairing apart, and Unplugged everything and put a little dab of dielectric grease on them...And I keep having the same problem :(

Tomorrow when I have the time, I will unplug them one at the time and check if it will stop the draining.

After that I will check by the additional Brake Light. :(

I had exactly the same problem. Found out that if I had the radio or tape deck on when I turned the bike off the battery would drain. Solved the problem by turning off radio/tape deck/cb before shutting off bike.

I connected the Battery and checked if the radio was off ..My Meter reads 14.5 V ..And I will check tomorrow again ..how much it is. :soapbox:

I'm getting tired of it...and I refuse to pay a dealership 75 Bucks a hour .only to look at..and charge me after several hundred bucks..for maybe something simple.

Since the system uses keep alive or back-up power for the audio and dash you will always read voltage. The test for a parasitic drain must be done with an amp meter. Preferably a milliamp meter. A draw of under 50 milliamp is ok. Over 100 milliamp (1/10 amp) is bad. 50-100 is that subjective gray area. Be careful using an amp meter. Make sure you know the proper way to connect it.

Mike

Unplug the various plugs to the audio system one at a time to see if any of them stop the drain.

Mike

I unplugged them one at the time ..and the Grey plug stopped the drain...( Cassette Player )

I connected the Battery Back ..and will check tomorrow with the Multi meter if the Battery drain stopped.

What a mess and what a Cables:confused07:

I'm glad I have a Crotch Rocket to Ride :thumbsup2:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/joycejoco/P1020497.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/joycejoco/P1020499.jpg

Unplug the various plugs to the audio system one at a time to see if any of them stop the drain.

Mike

Mike

You came with the right answer :cool10:

after I unplugged the Cassette Plug ..the battery kept his charge for the last 2 days.

Now when I have the time this week ..put everything back together.

The "cassette player"... at least it's not something you'll MISS.. They might as well have put an 8 Track Cassette player on this bike.. it would have been more 'retro cool' than a silly 'cassette player' lol.. how oh so passe.. ;)

Hopefully this is your fix.. however, wondering what is pulling power on the unit though? My bike came without out it as the previous owner ripped it out..