IGNORED

How tall is the stock windshield and what other shields are out there

I was wondering how tall the stock shield is? The former owner of my new to me 2004 Midnight Royal Star Venture cut the stock shield down and I get a lot of helmet air when I am riding. Yamaha Canada wants an outrageous price for one of theirs.

I did look at a Tulsa screen and it looks like a good replacement. It is taller and wider, something I think my wife will appreciate.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta.

Please check my website

http://www.elementscifi.com

I believe stock is 17" high. Mine is 4" shorter and 4" wider. I'm 6'2" and get a little buffeting but so far it doesn't bother me. Sorta like a dog with his head out the window.

I don't ride 2 up. That would make a difference if I had a second seater.

I would not dream of buying a shield from Yamaha.$$$$$$$$

I just ordered (December 28) the F4 Customs shield and was VERY, VERY happy with the personalized service (he recognized me from posting on their Facebook site).

I don't have the shield yet, but should get it next week (HOLIDAYS)...and if the PRODUCT is as good as the service, I will be a happy camper and I have EVERY reason to believe it will.

Now, as for the product itself...I am a FIRM believer in polycarbonate!!! Some of the best optical materials are made from this material. It is more durable than any other windshield product out there and it is SHATTER RESISTANT (almost shatterproof).

Shatter resistant, scratch resistant, optically clear and I can use RainX on it.

I will report when I actually install the shield and use the product.

I tossed the stock windshield on mine as it had been crazed and damaged by improper cleaning by the previous owner (looked like someone used a gas station squeezy cleaner on it..??!).. I replaced it with a Tall Wide from ClearView. Impressive windshield indeed.. Too tall for rains in the city.. highway it will blow off but in the city the rain is too sticky and makes it hard to see.. Then purchased a ShowChrome medium that I can see over but the dang thing had a couple of big defects in it that I didn't notice till someone following me asked about the distortions.. and now I see them all the time lol.. dang him!

I'm looking to either cut down my Tall Wide or ordering a shorter one..

I also have a 4 inch black windshield that looks similar to the HD have on some of their highway bikes.. Nice, but the winds will buck you at high speeds.. cough cough..

One thing I have noticed with these different windshield is how much they affect average fuel consumption.. the taller / wider the windshield the more fuel you'll burn overcoming the drag..

So the happy medium for me is a medium wide that I can look over the top..

Thanks for all the comments and information. I had a Tulsa Tall on my 2001 RSV and liked it as did my wife. It gave her better protection.

Has anyone here ever used a Tulsa and or have any comments?

I prefer to be able to look through my windshield, not over it. I'm 5' 10". I've had some pretty bad experiences in the rain as a consequence so that is why I am trying to get some information before I purchase a shield for my 2004 RSV.

I think the previous owner of the bike either cut the stock one way down or purchased a short Yamaha shield because I get a lot of wind buffeting on my helmet which I don't want.

I don't wear a full face helmet. My wife and I wear 3/4 helmets.

I am thinking of the Clear View XX tall that is 1" taller than stock. Comments questions would be most welcome.

Chris

I have the F4 in the tallest (19" I believe) and like you I prefer to look through the windshield. When I put it on my wife immediately stated that she noticed a BIG difference, no more getting buffeted around. As for the look through capability, I have about 30 thousand miles on mine and the optics are as good as the day I bought it. I keep RainX on mine and have zero problems with vision in the rain. In fact I have a bigger problem keeping the vision through my helmet shield than I do the windshield. I have no concerns with using the gas station squeegees and do so quite often with no damage to the windshield. Regarding the milage I figure that it cost me about 2 to 3 miles per gallon but for me it is worth it. I mean come on for my normal 4.5 gallon fill up we are only talking about 11.5 miles per tank or about $0.90 a tank.

I was wondering how tall the stock shield is? The former owner of my new to me 2004 Midnight Royal Star Venture cut the stock shield down and I get a lot of helmet air when I am riding. Yamaha Canada wants an outrageous price for one of theirs.

I did look at a Tulsa screen and it looks like a good replacement. It is taller and wider, something I think my wife will appreciate.

Chris in Red Deer, Alberta.

Please check my website

www.elementscifi.com

Here is the one I went to on my 2000 RSV MM and I love it. When it is time for another I will replace it with the same windshield. this on is 13 in stock is 17 in. this widhscreen is 5 in wider which I like.

It is from Chrome world

www.chromeworld.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid={75737d8d-9024-468d-a649-ca0d0588bcd0}&gid={5587944a-cc5e-4f53-8047-d44a8232127d}&GroupName=Yamaha+Royal+Star+Venture+Windshields&pname=Show+Chrome+Tour+Windshield+Yamaha+Royal+Star+Venture+Clear&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=SGR-SR&CTitle=&

LOVE the clearview xxl I got for mine, I'm 6'6" so its perfect for me easy to see over if needed, just seems to work all the way around for me. And the wifey loves it.

I'm only 6'3" but I can still see over my Clearview XXL if I sit at attention. Great windshield. Took all the buffeting away at highway speeds.

I'm only 6'3" but I can still see over my Clearview XXL if I sit at attention. Great windshield. Took all the buffeting away at highway speeds.

I am 5'9" and cannot not see over my XXL clearview, but not really a problem, it is more sloped and allows rain to run off much better than stock, and I keep it cleaned with Pledge so water beads and flow off once I get moving. On rare occasions I need to lean to the side and look around it, but not often enough to bother me.

I just took delivery of my light grey tint clearview shield which is 3 inches shorter and 4 inches wider than stock.

I will not be able to install it until spring; the quality of the shield is quite evident.

I appreciated the way the company kept me informed of the steps through the development of the shield and the date of the shipping.

I am looking forward to the test ride.

I don't think you can go wrong with this product.

Good luck with your decision.

Ken aka Jinx:snow2: