IGNORED

Bad Boy Horn - Am I missing something???

I wanted to get a louder horn for my RSV and didn't have the extra cash to swing for a Stebel. I had read a few comments on here that the Bad Boy's were quiet a bit louder than the stock horn, but not quiet as loud as the Stebel. I got my Bad Boy today and hooked it up. Got all excited and hit the button and no where near as loud as the stock horn. I'm very disappointed, I could have used that money on something else for the bike.:sick:

It is way louder than a stock horn.

Did you use a relay and dedicated power feed. You also need at least 16 ga. wiring and a good ground also on 16 ga.

Got the polarity right? They don't make much noise if you have the positive and negative switched.

Finally you can test the horn by connecting at least a 10 amp 12V supply directly to the horn. If it doesn't wake the dead you've got a defective horn.

I wanted to get a louder horn for my RSV and didn't have the extra cash to swing for a Stebel. I had read a few comments on here that the Bad Boy's were quiet a bit louder than the stock horn, but not quiet as loud as the Stebel. I got my Bad Boy today and hooked it up. Got all excited and hit the button and no where near as loud as the stock horn. I'm very disappointed, I could have used that money on something else for the bike.:sick:

Not sure what is going on with your setup, but that horn should have blasted you out of the garage.

OK do NOT hook up the horn to the stock horn wires, you will burn out the horn switch!! Use the horn wires to fire a relay and have the relay switch on 12 volts directly from the battery. The minus of the horn goes to ground. It does not matter which wires go to the primary winding of the relay.

BTW I strongly believe the OEM for both Stebel and Wolo are one and the same as the parts are directly interchangeable.

Your horn does not have the power it needs from the stock horn wires...

you got somthin wrong, did you get the install kit from the member here, or buy the little block ( not sure what its called ) it has 4 blades on it. also, what gauge wire did you use? My Bad Boy is LOUD, I got 2 of them and have only installed one.

Ok, we've managed to come to the conclusion that I'm a dufus. LMAO Now can somebody give me the wiring instructions written in crayon? For some reason this is obviously over my head. I did use the stock wiring. I would really like to use the stock horn button, is there any way to do that? I really appreciate all the help.

I'm don't own a 2nd gen so I might get slapped up back da head on this, like that would be the first time, LOL, but maybe you were thinking like I was on your install. I had trouble like yours when I installed my Bad Boys on my 1st gen.

Bongo bailed me out on that deal and got me right.

My horns wouldn't even kick on unless the bike was running and then they were not all that loud.....until I got the wiring right.

I was thinking that the horn button was the source of the power and the horn when to ground. Actually not that way. The horn does ground but the horn button the closes the circuit on the ground side.

Using that schematic showing the install of the relay allows you to throw full power to the horns without running it through the OEM horn button. As they said, the button would smoke before long with a hot load pushing those horns. Do the relay and you should be good.

You'll know when you get it right. :crackup:

Guest Swifty
You can plug the relay right onto your old horn wires (purple in the picture). Your Bad Boy probably had a relay in the package.

Works off the stock horn button.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52974&d=1293841720

In order to continue the educational experience of the electronically challenged; can you tell us what the numbers 30, 85, 86, 87 refer to?

In order to continue the educational experience of the electronically challenged; can you tell us what the numbers 30, 85, 86, 87 refer to?

Pins on the relay. Those numbers are cast in the plastic next to the spade connectors.

BTW:2cents:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showth...762#post420762

Edited by wes0778
added a link

You need to add all those numbers together, then divide by 24 and you'll come up with the number that matches the voltage that it takes to run those horns,,,,,, you don't know that???????

Thanks for all the help. The horn is now working properly and flipping LOUD. The dufus appreciates all the assistance on this one.

That's OK, we like helping the "dufuses" It is the ones that pretty much know what they are doing that ask the really hard questions.:stirthepot::bang head::rotfl:

That's OK, we like helping the "dufuses" It is the ones that pretty much know what they are doing that ask the really hard questions.:stirthepot::bang head::rotfl:

Hm-m-m-m, I thought it was the ANSWERS that are hard! Yup, and asking questions is EASY!:lightbulb::confused07: