IGNORED

Milwaukee's heated jacket.

ken

• 8 months later...

I was about to post that Home Depot has these on sale, but the above link has a better price.

Has anyone adapted the Milwaukee jackets to run off motorcycle power? they are 12volt, so it should be doable? Or has anyone used one with the 12v battery pack that is used in common with power tools?

A heated jacket for $110 sounds like a fair price.

attached is a pic of the jackets 12v connection, looks like a cord with a 12v plug of some kind to the battery pack. should be easy to make a mate for it to run off a motorcycle.

$152 with battery and charger on Amazon.com [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0048EJXK2]Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2331-XL M12 12-Volt X-Large Heated Jacket Set: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Iz9qJ9KGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Iz9qJ9KGL[/ame]

Edited by RandyR

What I have figured out so far.

The battery is a 1400mAh.

They claim 6 hours of heat from a charge. I am going to assume that this time would be on the low setting.

After a little quick math that means that the jacket is drawing about 1/4 amp @ 12V.

If my assumption is correct then it is most likely 1/2 amp at medium heat and 3/4 amp at full heat. Well withing the electrical capacity of our anemic electrical systems. the wattage of the jacket seems to 3, 6 or 9 watts. That is about the same amount of heat as one of the old fashion large Xmas tree bulbs. That does not sound like a lot of heat to me. Does anyone know the power of a heated jacket that is made for bikes?

As far as performance, there is about a 6 inch square patch in the center of the back and two more 6 inch square patches behind the two chest pockets. these are the only areas that are heated. I have never owned a heated garment of any kind. is it normal and effective to only have a few patches of heat?

When I was looking for heated clothing last year (It does get a wee bit cool in the Fall hereabouts!) I checked the ratings for some gloves, socks and vests. Those with battery power always had the absolute lowest ratings for any use other than hiking ... when your own body generates a fair amount of heat anyway...you just need well insulated clothing. I would be very suspicious of a battery heated jacket...it just doesn't seem likely that the amount of heat generated would be of much use...especially after checking out Flyin"s figures.

Andy

I've been running two Gerbings heated jackets with heat controllers for a couple of years and haven't had a problem. They have full coverage heat from wrist to neck and full body front and back. Plug and play with no battery to go dead. Not cheap, but you usually get what you pay for.

Hi,up here in Winnipeg MB. I've been able to extend my riding season and be much more comfortable with my Grebings electric jacket and jacket liner, when its not to cold I use the jacket its light weight, but as it gets colder I use the jacket liner under my leather jacket or under a riding jacket

I bought these for my wife and myself in 1995 and they work

very well, they consume 77watts, but with the heat troller the heat can pulsate rather than being at a consistant temp.Our weather from now till the winter sets in can be very cold but if you have the right clothing the riding can be quite invigorating ! > mobile

I have a battery powered vest that works great but on hi you get about 3to4 hours out of it so a extra battery would be best! It helps take the chill out. I think they are blaze and they make a few things if you google them. I have heated gloves and the are the best! Only bad thing is my thumb will get very cold when I'm riding in30 degree weather as it doesn't seem to have much heat in it.

• 5 years later...

I have one of the Milwaukee heated jackets and must say they work quite well. I never did the math on how much heat they put out, but will say that even when it's pretty cold out, the "Hi" setting is usually too warm unless I'm wearing a heavy sweater underneath. The sweater puts a layer of insulation between me and the jacket.

It comes in handy as I've a bit over 2 mile walk. through the woods. to my stand, and the jacket allows me to dress light so I don't sweat on the way in, then turn on the heat when I've been sitting a while and start to get cold.

I think 6 hrs is a stretch on the time it'll heat on a battery pack though. I keep 2 or 3 extra packs for a day in the deer stand and usually end up changing to the second pack halfway through the day. Haven't needed to put a 3rd in.

All in all, ...for the money, I'd give them a high rating.

Hope this helps. :happy34: