IGNORED

Venture vs goldwing

93 venture

Guest tx2sturgis
I don't own a Goldwing, but I did own a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, all I can say is that the Goldwing you kept up with with Your Electra Glide may have been ridden aggressively by his standards, but if the rider knew what he was doing you wouldn't even be close. You might want to watch this video on a well ridden Wing.
:stickinouttounge:

I have seen that video. I said 'aggressively ridden'...I did NOT say 'insanely ridden'.

I doubt I would try to keep up with that guy. I'm fairly certain I could not do it on the Venture. But give me a Ducati or a even a Kawasaki Versus...and yeah...no problem.

I ain't skeered.....

+1:big-grin-emoticon:

nothin to be skeered of way back there is there guys if somethin bad happens some one from the front of the pack will give ya a big heads up on the radio before ya get there:rotf::rotf::rotf::rasberry:

I have seen that video. I said 'aggressively ridden'...I did NOT say 'insanely ridden'.

I doubt I would try to keep up with that guy. I'm fairly certain I could not do it on the Venture. But give me a Ducati or a even a Kawasaki Versus...and yeah...no problem.

Well, good luck keeping up with him, even on a Ducati. He's a legend on the Dragon, and many a sport bike rider have been humbled by him.

My point was that love them or hate them, they are an amazing motorcycle. I am by choice currently on a '06 Venture that I love for it's comfort, look and feel, but when it comes to pure performance, no contest with a Wing. Ron

Drag racing is all about power-to-weight ratio, traction, gearing, and rider skill..( and money!) but 500 cc by itself means nothing.

Plenty of 600 cc crotch rockets can do the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds or less, about 4 or 5 seconds faster than these large displacement bikes.

Touring bikes are not dragbikes and should not be judged as such.

It is interesting that the Goldwing fans here think the Goldwing in the video is not performing to its potential. I say neither one of those are, because all the riders seem to be shifting normally....when speed shifting is the best way to get quicker 1/4 mile times.

I may raise lots of 'ire' with this statement, but I have kept up with an aggressively ridden Goldwing more than once in the mountains, when I was riding my ElectraGlide!

I have no doubt that the Goldwing, if given the room, will eventually out-do several other bikes. But in a short 1/4 mile, its not that quick. I'm guessing that in the 1/8 mile, it might even appear to be slow against the slightly lighter Venture.

i think you need to ride a wing. i have had both the yamaha and the wing. my yamaha was warmed over with exaust and the dyna 3000 set to rev over seven grand, and carbs rejetted. it was an exceptionally good running bike. still it was not even close to being in the same league with my wing. the wing is so strong from a dead stop, and as far as the 1/8 th mile, the venture would'nt even come close. the venture is a nice bike but feels very under powered as touring bikes go. the wing has balls out power and torque from idle on up. it will pull riding two up smoothly from 1200 rpm to red line in fifth gear overdrive. bottom line you ain't gonna beat a wing in any kind of race on a venture. twisties, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, top end, longjevity, etc. it just ain't going to happen. and if you can stay with a wing on a harley the wing rider was no where near the limit. :sign29: :no-no-no:

i think you need to ride a wing. i have had both the yamaha and the wing. my yamaha was warmed over with exaust and the dyna 3000 set to rev over seven grand, and carbs rejetted. it was an exceptionally good running bike. still it was not even close to being in the same league with my wing. the wing is so strong from a dead stop, and as far as the 1/8 th mile, the venture would'nt even come close. the venture is a nice bike but feels very under powered as touring bikes go. the wing has balls out power and torque from idle on up. it will pull riding two up smoothly from 1200 rpm to red line in fifth gear overdrive. bottom line you ain't gonna beat a wing in any kind of race on a venture. twisties, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, top end, longjevity, etc. it just ain't going to happen. and if you can stay with a wing on a harley the wing rider was no where near the limit.

Well said Snarley Bill. I too have owned both. I rode a 2008 RSV for 2 years and now I own a 2006 Wing. I can't speak for the 1st gens as I have never ridden or owned one. But I can tell you that the Wing out handles, at any speed, the RSV and the Wing also has much more power all through the RPM range. With all that said, both the Wing and the RSV are not racing bikes and my RSV had more than enough power to get the job done for what it was designed to do. It provided me with many of miles of very enjoyable riding and I suspect the Wing will do the same.

I've got to agree about the difference between the two. I've had both an 09 Venture and now a 10 Wing. I NEVER felt the Venture did not have enough power, BUT the Wing simply has a very noticably greater powerband, from idle right on up. If you get on an 1800 Wing and run it through the gears you will find yourself traveling at Warpspeed pretty darn quickly. Again, neither of these is a "racebike" and any decent 600 japanese 4 will quickly dust either of 'em. Remember too when discussing roads with a LOT of curves, a smaller, lighter and less powerful bike will often "outhandle" a machine with much more power, simply because the little bike can actually "use" the power it has, while the larger machine can never really get the room to stretch it's legs. Example: A 250 cc Piaggio MP-3 SCOOTER will embarass a lot of guys on "hot bikes" IF the road is filled with tight turns and the MP has a competent rider. Just sayin'...

• 8 years later...

I have that exact same Venture and it is rock solid dependable as well as comfortable.. like a lazy boy on wheels.. I have a friend with a GL1500 that I have ridden a few times.. couldn't wait to get back on my Venture.. both I believe are dependable. He has very little trouble with it. His major issue was the stator and he wound up installing an alternator.. In my opinion both good bikes but the Venture is way more comfortable and looks like a bike.. Mine has 210,000 kms and runs perfect.

I’m looking at purchasing a 2000 Royal Star Venture Ltd. Ed. (Beautiful Cream paint), or a 96 Goldwing GL1500. Any thoughts on the comparison? Both have approx. 60,000 miles

Morning..

Just wondering if ya saw the sign out front of the club house that says Venture Riders MC? If ya did I spose you know that our responses are gonna favor the Yam and tah heck with all the rest :big-grin-emoticon:

ya

Just pulling your chain @bsheilds48.. :big-grin-emoticon: We're a mulifaceted bunch of lop eared varmints and love yakkin all brands, makes, models and your question is 100% welcome!! By the way,,, :RED::group cheers:,, glad you found us my friend (at least I hope we are still friends after that opening greeting on my part :shock3:..

As you probably already know, the GL1500 is, as is the Yam, a carbed scoot. Most of us around here are familiar with carb issues on our Yam's as a result of either having the bike sit for a fair amount of time or just from wear and tear (diaphrams) from never shutting them off.. Personally, I have been around both the Yamaha (1st Gen Ventures) and the pre-1800 Wings (very limited but some exposure as both my brother and my neighbor have the 1500's) and can tell you, I would rather 5 Venture carb jobs to one Honda 1500. I only say that because, on the 1500, Honda chose to use a unique 2 carb type of a unit that justtt fits between the frame backbone and is a bugger to get to. The Honda is also known for developing a nasty flat spot as the accerator pump on those carbs wears out.. Is this that big of deal,,, to me it is cause I like fixen my own scoots and have fat fingers that just don't jive with the 1500.

On the other hand though, the Wing is a fixed fairing bike which, after having covered a number of miles on both fixed and batwing scoots (the Yam your looking at is a batwing), I can tell you that, even though I like the looks of the batwing better - the fixed fairing bikes are not as tiring to ride 12 to 16 hour days,, IMHO of course.

Another really nice thing about the Honda is that it has mid ship controls where the 2nd Gen Yam is feet forward only.. I LOVE my 1st Gens for their variety of foot placement options due to mid shippers (always nice to be able to adjust your ride positions when touring as well as having the option to stand up and ride).

Bottom line, if given the choice for the same money, comparable condition and mileage,,, I think I would stick with the newer Yamaha.. Now,, if we were talking about a 2006 1800 Wing or later,,, I may have to reverse that choice:witch_brew:..

There ya have it,, should be enough info to start a morning ruckus around this joint.

Thanks for the EXCELLENT start to another EXCELLENT day in the club house my friend!! All the very best in what ever you choose!!

Puc

I have that exact same Venture and it is rock solid dependable as well as comfortable.. like a lazy boy on wheels.. I have a friend with a GL1500 that I have ridden a few times.. couldn't wait to get back on my Venture.. both I believe are dependable. He has very little trouble with it. His major issue was the stator and he wound up installing an alternator.. In my opinion both good bikes but the Venture is way more comfortable and looks like a bike.. Mine has 210,000 kms and runs perfect.

Morning Wayne! (nodding at my brother as we pass in a club house hallway and fist bump as we do :big-grin-emoticon:)

Yeah, chosing between those two to me would be mostly a matter of seating position choice. Both are great bikes. Goldwings hold their value much better which tells you something about their popularity. I can't imagine a bike that is more comfortable than an RSV. The two biggest complaints I have with an RSV is the annoying clutch basket whine and the heavy steering at low speed due to the handlebar mounted fairing and the wide front tire to some extent. Lots of RSV owners install a narrower front tire that helps the steering at low speed. If you can, test ride both and decide.

There are a ton of accessories for Wings. Way more than Ventures.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Speaking of bling and accessories,,, I got a PILE of bling for the 83/85's. Lots of Chrome dooo dads... I wont post the ju,, stuff here cause I am a VR law abiding citizen who don't want penalty box time (scary place) but will be posting "the batch" up in the

Accessorizing zone come spring..

I posted on here earlier about racing my dads GL1800 two up against my brother's 1500 one up with a guy about 30lbs less than me. We took off in fourth gear pretty close to side by side and for quite awhile the 1500 kept right up. As in literally side by side neck in neck. We went out later just the two of us with him on the 1500 and me on the 1800. We did it again and the outcome was really the same.

IMHO the shortcoming of the 1500 goldwings is that they're geared really short in the first and 2nd gears. At the same speed in 4th gear the 1500 is higher up in the RPMS than the 1800, but I dont exactly remember how much.

That being said. I ran my dads 1800 with my 88 Venture, however we werent close to eachother, but I believe that a first gen and an 1800 would be a really close race, but I can tell you that I'll lose to the new Wing, or at least the automatic, cuz I lit it up with a guy on a honda test run with about 8 other people and I was 2 up on the Venture.

Everyone was in the Hills for sturgis and we were on the truck route that goes southwest around town from the interstate. It was the hill by the interesection for the walmart right there. I was in 3rd gear and maybe coulda threw it in 2nd to pull up the hill higher, but we were doing around 45 so I stayed in 3rd. He was on the automatic one and walked right away from us. Got stuck in traffic near him later and we chatted for a second. Cool guy!

I posted on here earlier about racing my dads GL1800 two up against my brother's 1500 one up with a guy about 30lbs less than me. We took off in fourth gear pretty close to side by side and for quite awhile the 1500 kept right up. As in literally side by side neck in neck. We went out later just the two of us with him on the 1500 and me on the 1800. We did it again and the outcome was really the same.

IMHO the shortcoming of the 1500 goldwings is that they're geared really short in the first and 2nd gears. At the same speed in 4th gear the 1500 is higher up in the RPMS than the 1800, but I dont exactly remember how much.

That being said. I ran my dads 1800 with my 88 Venture, however we werent close to eachother, but I believe that a first gen and an 1800 would be a really close race, but I can tell you that I'll lose to the new Wing, or at least the automatic, cuz I lit it up with a guy on a honda test run with about 8 other people and I was 2 up on the Venture.

Everyone was in the Hills for sturgis and we were on the truck route that goes southwest around town from the interstate. It was the hill by the interesection for the walmart right there. I was in 3rd gear and maybe coulda threw it in 2nd to pull up the hill higher, but we were doing around 45 so I stayed in 3rd. He was on the automatic one and walked right away from us. Got stuck in traffic near him later and we chatted for a second. Cool guy!

WAYYYY COOL!! I have a hunch that if one of the 1600cc Beemers would have entered the scene even that AWESOME new Wing woulda been shot down pretty quickly.. That is until the speed limiter on the Beemer tapped 101 mph and shut it down,, then the new 1800cc Wing woulda went sailin by,,, until its speed limiter dogged it at 108 mph,, then a putzy little motored 1st Gen Venture with 2 people woulda passed em by on its way to its cruising speed of 115 :big-grin-emoticon:...

Another interesting thing (IMHO) is that a puny little 1000cc R1 with stock gearing will spin up real quickly to 103 mph,, in 1st gear :missingtooth:,,taking out the 1st place Beemin fastest of the touring crowd before shifting into 2nd and then topping the 2nd fastest of the Wing of a touring bikes top speed, the new Wing, easily with it's 2nd gear,, and then, having 4 gears left, the teeny little 1000cc putzy motor sings along singin it's song to a top speed 176 in 5th,,,, and who knows what lays beyond as ya shift into 6th :checkeredflag: .....

This motorcycle business can be a confusing matter thats for sure:scratchchin: