IGNORED

Venture vs goldwing

93 venture

Wa-a-a-ay back in the early '70s I drag raced a HIGHLY modified 1970 CB 750 Honda. This was at Milan MI, Toledo and Marion OH, Bowling Green KY. Ran a street modified class, had to have working lights, use a treaded tire, (no slick), etc. Had to run in a displacement class, was allowed a 10% weight reduction from factory stated weight. We ran 11.6's @ 119+ MPH. I broke a AMDRA (American Motorcycle Drag Race Assn.) record running at Marion in 1972.

I think the Venture should be capable of 13's with the proper technique and an experienced rider. V MAX rear end would definitely help. When you are riding your own touring machine you tend to be hesitant about trying to light up the rear tire and really busting a launch off the line. 'Specially if you plan to ride it home.

Plus, I think all of those blue lights must have slowed down the Venture.

:12101::mytruck1:

Edited by Mel
Add-on

I'm actually surprised the Wing didn't beat the Venture worse than that. Seemed like the Wing was pretty slow. Although the Wing was some 5 MPH faster it only beat the Venture by .2 on time.

The first gen Ventures are faster than the 1500 Wings but I don't think they can beat that big Wing but stranger things have happen.

Interesting,

BOO

Wa-a-a-ay back in the early '70s I drag raced a HIGHLY modified 1970 CB 750 Honda. This was at Milan MI, Toledo and Marion OH, Bowling Green KY. Ran a street modified class, had to have working lights, use a treaded tire, (no slick), etc. Had to run in a displacement class, was allowed a 10% weight reduction from factory stated weight. We ran 11.6's @ 119+ MPH. I broke a AMDRA (American Motorcycle Drag Race Assn.) record running at Marion in 1972.

I think the Venture should be capable of 13's with the proper technique and an experienced rider. V MAX rear end would definitely help. When you are riding your own touring machine you tend to be hesitant about trying to light up the rear tire and really busting a launch off the line. 'Specially if you plan to ride it home.

:12101::mytruck1:

That's interesting Mel. I lived in the Muscle Shoals area of Alabama during those years. There was a father and son team there who raced at Bowling Green in the 750 class on Hondas. Their names were Elvis and Roger Landers. Roger was the son and did the riding. I think it was about 1976 when I was wanting another bike and had them build a 750 Honda for me. I don't remember all the details now but I know that they milled the head to raise the compression, installed a different cam, cut the transmission and etc. There was other stuff done also but I don't remember what. It was finished with a smaller fiberglass gas tank and a drag type seat. It also had a 4 into 1 header. It was built for me to ride on the street but it ran like a scalded ape. I had a lot of fun on that bike. I'm not sure but I think that at some point they moved to a different class and started riding 900 Kawasakis.

Also, the guy on the Venture was way bigger than the guy on the GL1800.

One of the reasons I want the GL1800 is because of the electrical system and that night time shot of them coming down the strip, GL1800 almost obliterated the Venture with the front end lighting.

Race didn"t really say anything to me.

With enough money and mods you could make a quad do 90+. Although I wouldn't want to be the one with that short of a wHeelbase... I like my skin & bones just where they are...

I'd like to see a stock to stock, verified at peak performance with 89 octane and switch bikes to take rider experience out of the equasion. That venture bogged in at least one of the videos (towards the end) on the start.

somebody don't know how to ride a wing. there should be at least a 10 car length difference in the 1/4 mile. you can figure roughly, a car length for each 1/10 of a second in the quartermile. the wing should turn an easy second faster than the venture. you folks can dream all you want, but those 500 cc's talk. :rasberry: :stirthepot:

I'm gonna have to run my 87 at the strip. It looked like they were running 14 second 1/4 miles. I have a hard time believing my 87 is that slow. It feels like a upper 12 sec bike to me.

Must be that doubled up clutch spring.

And, like another poster said, it didn't seem like they were running them very hard.

:snow:

I'm gonna have to run my 87 at the strip. It looked like they were running 14 second 1/4 miles. I have a hard time believing my 87 is that slow. It feels like a upper 12 sec bike to me.

Must be that doubled up clutch spring.

And, like another poster said, it didn't seem like they were running them very hard.

:snow:

I agree with you. I thought our 1st gennies would turn in the high 12s at around 102 mph.

The fastest speed for that Wing was only 97 mph.

Only thing is, they were all sleeping at the Line, none of them were coming out of the hole smoking their rear tire.

For what it's worth, I pulled out my June 1986 Cycle World (Had it handy from doing research prior to buying my '87 VR in Oct.) in which they tested 6 touring rigs. The '86 VR in that test turned the quarter mile in 12.95 sec. at 102.72 mph. If memory serves, Cycle Canada turned about the same time and speed on a 1986 VR around that time as well. Now if I can just find the issues with the 1800 Goldwing and RSV tests. Oh, in case anyone was curious, the GL1200 Aspencade SEi from that test turned 97.28 mph in 13.45 sec. No doubt who won that race! The quickest bike of the six was the Kawasaki Voyager XII at 12.90 sec. and a terminal speed of 102.11 mph. Quicker time but lower top speed. Not that any of this info will settle any arguments...but that's half the fun of these comparos, isn't it?

somebody don't know how to ride a wing. there should be at least a 10 car length difference in the 1/4 mile. you can figure roughly, a car length for each 1/10 of a second in the quartermile. the wing should turn an easy second faster than the venture. you folks can dream all you want, but those 500 cc's talk. :rasberry: :stirthepot:

Exactly my thoughts, Bill. As I watched it I noticed that at no time did the front end even approach lifting off the ground, in either first or second. And on my 1800, if I really hammer it off the line I have to be careful not to lift the front wheel. So, I'm left with the feeling that either this guy didn't know how to ride a wing in order to get the most out of it, or he was just "toying" with the other bikes.

Guest tx2sturgis

Drag racing is all about power-to-weight ratio, traction, gearing, and rider skill..( and money!) but 500 cc by itself means nothing.

Plenty of 600 cc crotch rockets can do the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds or less, about 4 or 5 seconds faster than these large displacement bikes.

Touring bikes are not dragbikes and should not be judged as such.

It is interesting that the Goldwing fans here think the Goldwing in the video is not performing to its potential. I say neither one of those are, because all the riders seem to be shifting normally....when speed shifting is the best way to get quicker 1/4 mile times.

I may raise lots of 'ire' with this statement, but I have kept up with an aggressively ridden Goldwing more than once in the mountains, when I was riding my ElectraGlide!

I have no doubt that the Goldwing, if given the room, will eventually out-do several other bikes. But in a short 1/4 mile, its not that quick. I'm guessing that in the 1/8 mile, it might even appear to be slow against the slightly lighter Venture.

Drag racing is all about power-to-weight ratio, traction, gearing, and rider skill..( and money!) but 500 cc by itself means nothing.

Plenty of 600 cc crotch rockets can do the 1/4 mile in 10 seconds or less, about 4 or 5 seconds faster than these large displacement bikes.

Touring bikes are not dragbikes and should not be judged as such.

It is interesting that the Goldwing fans here think the Goldwing in the video is not performing to its potential. I say neither one of those are, because all the riders seem to be shifting normally....when speed shifting is the best way to get quicker 1/4 mile times.

I may raise lots of 'ire' with this statement, but I have kept up with an aggressively ridden Goldwing more than once in the mountains, when I was riding my ElectraGlide!

I have no doubt that the Goldwing, if given the room, will eventually out-do several other bikes. But in a short 1/4 mile, its not that quick. I'm guessing that in the 1/8 mile, it might even appear to be slow against the slightly lighter Venture.

I don't own a Goldwing, but I did own a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, all I can say is that the Goldwing you kept up with with Your Electra Glide may have been ridden aggressively by his standards, but if the rider knew what he was doing you wouldn't even be close. You might want to watch this video on a well ridden Wing. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo]YouTube - deals gap on a goldwing/gl1800 by yellow wolf dragons tail[/ame]:stickinouttounge: