IGNORED

Question Gages or Liquid "HELP"

DanC

I like to get some opinions concerning which is better in checking the vacuum. Gages or the Carbtune11 or the carbtune PRO with no liquid???? Thanks:dancefool:

Edited by DanC
add more information

Gauges are fine if you spend the $$ for quality, and I'd go oil filled myself, and can be calibrated. Once you invest in a rack of four gauges, you have a few bucks tied up. The cheap ones......waste of money.

The old school mercury stick is the best tool to use but sadly.....EPA don't like them.

There are several liquid sticks out there that can be bought for a fair price but they all have their own lil tricks to get them to work properly.

I have the Carbtune and it works fine. But I still check my work with a merc stick. I'll learn to trust the Carbtune someday.

Mike

Hey Dan,

As with other threads like oil and such, opinions vary about the use of the different types of manometers for a Carb. Sync. The "Mercury Stick" type are very accurate, but hard to come by these days because of shipping issues (Mercury = BAD to ship!) and cost. Manometers that use other liquids can be a bit messy and have a tendency to allow the fluid to be sucked into the engine thru the vacuum ports. Some members prefer to use a "bank" of four analog Dial type Vacuum gages mounted on a manifold. I personally use the Carbtune Pro. It was in the price range I wanted to spend, it functions well if kept clean, and it is transported easily, which is very important to me because I do a fair amount of "on the road" Carb. Syncing.

The important thing to remember about ANY manometer is that the function of this instrument is to BALANCE the vacuum between each of the four cylinders on your engine. The actual accurate measurement of the amount of vacuum in any given cylinder is not important in regards to a Carb. Sync. (although it does play an important part in other diagnostic tests of your engine) You merely need a measuring instrument that will connect to all four vacuum ports for ease of setting, and all four gages need to read the SAME amount of vacuum measured form the same vacuum source. I have seen people successfully use a coke bottle and a length of clear aquarium air tubing. If you have the money and the availability to purchase a set of mercury sticks by all means have at it, but unless you plan to be every VR.ORG's "new best friend" and do endless Carb. Syncs. at Maint. Days and Meet and Eats all across the country, the few times a year you will actually set your own Carbs. would dictate that a manometer in the $100.00 to $150.00 price range would be plenty of spending power for a tool you will only use two to three times a year your self. :confused24:

Just my thoughts,

Earl

I made my Carb tune using just one gauge.

I stole the Idea from Marcarl just made mine prettier.

By using one gauge discrepency between gauges is not an issue

open the valve to the carb you are adjusting leaving the rest closed

adjust valve to dampen needle if it vibrates.

Edited by saddlebum

I found one of these at a yard sale last summer. Paid 5$ for a new one

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/DWYER-Magnehelic-Gauge-15-PSIG-Catalog-2330-/160469021567

A Dwyer pressure gague, measures differential pressure. I have used it to sync carbs on all my bikes, it works great. Its a little sensitive and sometimes I'll use a regular gague to " get it in the ballpark" then use this one to fine tune.

As far as I know the Mercury manometers (AKA Carb Sticks) do not go out of calibration and if you get a four channel setup it is EASY to see a difference between them.

Click HERE to go to a thread that talks about the differences between what is on the market.

My preference is for the Mercury manometers. I don't use mine anymore as I don't own a multi carb engined vehicle anymore, but it still has a place on the wall.

OH and I have a 3 Oz flask of Mercury in the tool box, but don't tell the EPA...