IGNORED

Here's a silly question for ya!

Bubber

When ya trike a Venture do you use the swing arm?

I was thinking of trying to find a way to install grease zerks in the swing arm so it doesn't have to be disassembled to grease the bearings.

Does anyone have a 2nd gen rear swing arm that they would like to donate to the project.

I would write an article and document the steps taken with pictures for our technical library.

Any takers?

Steve

Yep thats Silly!! No 2nd Gen parts around here!!!

Really a good question. I think there was something on it a long time ago for 1st gens. About the same thing should apply??? I've decided just to do it when I change tires. I change back tires so often it get greased a LOT!!

Dingy had a posting but it was about a 1st Gen.

I guess you have to grease them so they don't rust sitting around the garage. :banana: LOL

I sure would like to have a posting on the 2nd Gen for the same thing. :missingtooth:

Come on people whats up out there? :confused07: LOL

Bubber, if I remember right about 6 years ago this was discussed. The inside of the swingarm near the bearings are open if I remember right, like a long tube. Some type of "wall" would need to be constructed in there to keep the grease in the general area of the bearing. To cut one open to install some type of barrier would compromise the integrity of the swingarm. If it could have been done im sure some genius would have come up with a plan long ago. I dont fall into that category. :smile5: But if your game to try it you would probably need two swingarms, one to dissect and another to try it out on.

Drill a hole in the tube, thread it and put a grease zerk in it. You might have to pump in a cartridge or more of grease to fill it initially but once you filled it up from then on a couple pumps from a grease gun would supply new grease to the bearings.

C.R.

That was the problem that was discussed years ago. You would need a couple of tubes of grease to accomplish this. Once the bearings are properly serviced they should not really need any more attention. Unlike a wheel bearing, a swingarm bearing has a limited amount of travel, maybe an inch or so. A good lube like Honda Moly 60 should last a very long time.

To answer your question about trikes, I don't remember there being one of them in the pile of extra parts I was given, so yes they do use the swing arm!! They just don't use the stock shock but instead use a pair of coil over shocks on the rear axle frame. The only thing the swing arm does now is allow the driveshaft to move up and down...

To answer your question about trikes, I don't remember there being one of them in the pile of extra parts I was given, so yes they do use the swing arm!! They just don't use the stock shock but instead use a pair of coil over shocks on the rear axle frame. The only thing the swing arm does now is allow the driveshaft to move up and down...

The Hannigan kit removes the shock and replaces it with a solid bar to set the swing arm in a solid position so the swing arm doesn't move. As far as I know both known kits for triking use the swing arm. It is removed and not used on most of the Goldwing Trikes, and some Harlie's, but the Ventures retains it.

So what I am hearing is:

1)this isn't worth doing

2) it can't be done

3) no swingarms laying around that at least can be evaluated for the addition of grease zerks????????

I am willing to try any (positive)suggestions here just need a little

assistance. :yikes:

Hannigan trikes use the swing arms but remove the shock and install a stationary support in it's place. From then on the swing arm no longer moves as it's a rigid part of the frame now.

On Tri-Wing kits they still utilize the swingarm and shock along with a set of Air-Lift air bags.

Larry

So what I am hearing is:

1)this isn't worth doing

2) it can't be done

3) no swingarms laying around that at least can be evaluated for the addition of grease zerks????????

I am willing to try any (positive)suggestions here just need a little

assistance. :yikes::bawling:

Do we need a hug?????:bighug:

Do we need a hug?????:bighug:

Yes !

But not from You. I would like one from a nice female half my age that is :banana::banana::banana:....... well I digress.

And by the way you started it. :moon::moon::moon: LOL

Just a happy thought! :missingtooth:

I'll go lay down by my bowl now! :ignore:

Yes !

But not from You. I would like one from a nice female half my age that is :banana::banana::banana:....... :ignore:

Hummmmm, nice female... half your age....

Iff'n I remember correctly, someone here met a 80 year old

gramma that was still riding... that should be about right for yah...

:mytruck:

Hummmmm, nice female... half your age....

Iff'n I remember correctly, someone here met a 80 year old

gramma that was still riding... that should be about right for yah...

OLD,Black and Owlie

Boomer....who sez when the wind is blowing just right he can smell Bubber's brain cells jest smokin away.:stickpoke: :crackup: Lo-ez-e-ann-er Pigmy Wrangler

Arn't we getting way off the subject ...even for you MUTTS! :moon::moon::moon:

Bubber

Arn't we getting way off the subject ...even for you MUTTS! :moon::moon::moon:

Bubber

Ya, Hey, but I think everyones havin' fun with it.:cool10:

am willing to try any (positive)suggestions here just need a little

assistance. :yikes:

I offered the spacer tube idea to fill the gap, but now that I think about it, there's that big hole pointing back with the drive shaft in it also.:doh:

Maybe have to glue in caps just past both bearings.:confused24:

I been :scratchchin:thinkin' 'bout takin' mine down fer that bearing job this winter too, now that I have heat in the shop.:banana:

Let's keep in touch on this Bubber, Scooter Bob

That explains why there are no voluteers to get rid of their swing arms for this experiment. :yikes:

The ones at Pinwall are cheap enough except for the shipping. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Bubber

Bubber - if'n you really want to do this - I only live a few miles from pinwall in Navarre Ohio and if you're going to md @ freebirds this year, tell them you have it picked up and I'll bring it up.

Ya, Hey, but I think everyones havin' fun with it.:cool10:

I offered the spacer tube idea to fill the gap, but now that I think about it, there's that big hole pointing back with the drive shaft in it also.:doh:

Maybe have to glue in caps just past both bearings.:confused24:

I been :scratchchin:thinkin' 'bout takin' mine down fer that bearing job this winter too, now that I have heat in the shop.:banana:

Let's keep in touch on this Bubber, Scooter Bob

That will work for me!