IGNORED

KiteSquid's new 2010 Goldwing

KiteSquid

A few months ago I totaled my 2007 RSV. MrsSquid and I are OK.

Here are some photos of my new bike the evening I got her home....

Yes, I know that I tied it down wrong as I found the proper procedure after I got it home....

http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/11815/2296511360056765227S425x425Q85.jpg http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/45528/2826732790056765227S425x425Q85.jpg

Looks very nice.... clean...shinny too...

Food for thought here:

I would check the tightness of the Allen head bolts (4 places total, 2 bolts on each side), that attach the passenger hand rails since you tied the bike down to them..The Allen head bolts can easily bend from the exertion of the bike rocking back and forth (sideways) on the trailer when going around corners and hitting bumps in the road.

If you have any questions on your new ride, feel free to email me or call me.

(phone number is in my profile).

Looks very nice.... clean...shinny too...

I have not washed it sense..... it is quite dirty now.

Food for thought here:

I would check the tightness of the Allen head bolts (4 places total, 2 bolts on each side), that attach the passenger hand rails since you tied the bike down to them..The Allen head bolts can easily bend from the exertion of the bike rocking back and forth (sideways) on the trailer when going around corners and hitting bumps in the road.

Thanks for the tip!!!!!

I have removed the seat twice sense then.. once to install the CB radio and once to install the wiring for some heated gear to extend my riding season from 8 to 12 months!!!!!!!

Great looking Wing! I like the color....too bad it's not as fast as the Red ones!

:stirthepot::rasberry:

And I agree with Brad....Yamaha is becoming an afterthought in the touring motorcycle market. Kawasaki is advancing, Victory (whether you like the design or not) is on a roll, even (expletive deleted) Harley (spit...gak) is making advancements. It really appears that Yamaha just doesn't care about the true luxury touring market anymore.

Who knows.....maybe they will make me feel like an idiot and release a real killer of a touring bike soon. I'd sure love to see that.

Great looking bike! Welcome to the GW contingent of VR.org!

Here's a little tip for anyone getting ready to trailer a wing or any other bike for that matter.

Look into the correct way to do it FIRST.:soapbox:

Count your blessings kitesquid. You were lucky to get that one home in one piece.

Who knows.....maybe they will make me feel like an idiot and release a real killer of a touring bike soon. I'd sure love to see that.

I'd be willing to bet they are going to come out with something that will literally blow the competition away. They've been "sitting on the fence", secretly designing a new Touring bike and watching closely what direction the competition is going.

I'd be willing to bet they are going to come out with something that will literally blow the competition away. They've been "sitting on the fence", secretly designing a new Touring bike and watching closely what direction the competition is going.

......and you know this, how????

I'm still betting that the Venture will be dropped, at least for 5 years, in favor of what Yamaha feels is the current best-bet for a "touring" bike.....they have already started down that path with the Stratoliner.

Now, I'm just guessing due to watching the way that Yamaha has stood back while the Venture basically has "died on the vine". I don't have any inside information.

Upon what do you base your willingness to bet?

:stirthepot:

I have towed my 2000 RSV to the local dealer several times (not because it broke down, except once (ignition switch failed), but because I didn't want to inconvenience anyone by asking for rides to and from). Each time, I tied it down more or less like you did your Wing. What's wrong with the way you did it? And is that error specific to the Goldwing, or do I need to change the way I tie down my RSV? Thanks, Don

BTW: SWEET Ride!

A few months ago I totaled my 2007 RSV. MrsSquid and I are OK.

Here are some photos of my new bike the evening I got her home....

Yes, I know that I tied it down wrong as I found the proper procedure after I got it home....

NICE RIDE!!

So how DO you tie a Wing down. I need to know cause I just bought one a couple of months ago.

......and you know this, how????

I'm still betting that the Venture will be dropped, at least for 5 years, in favor of what Yamaha feels is the current best-bet for a "touring" bike.....they have already started down that path with the Stratoliner.

Now, I'm just guessing due to watching the way that Yamaha has stood back while the Venture basically has "died on the vine". I don't have any inside information.

Upon what do you base your willingness to bet?

:stirthepot:

If they go the route of the Strat, dropping the Venture, then in reality the Strat is replacing the Venture in the category. Now, I did not say that the replacement would still be called a Venture.

That being said, they could very well take a "base" or bare-bones Strat and really deck it out with new design fairing, bags, trunk, new electrics, etc etc .... I mean heck, it might even have some similarities to a Victory Vision :witch_brew: .....

I base my willingness to bet on nothing more than a hunch.

If they go the route of the Strat, dropping the Venture, then in reality the Strat is replacing the Venture in the category. Now, I did not say that the replacement would still be called a Venture.

That being said, they could very well take a "base" or bare-bones Strat and really deck it out with new design fairing, bags, trunk, new electrics, etc etc .... I mean heck, it might even have some similarities to a Victory Vision :witch_brew: .....

I base my willingness to bet on nothing more than a hunch.

What you have described is exactly what I suspect will happen. And, I don't for a minute believe that such an offering will "literally blow the competition away". It will be too much like the Harley, the Victory, the Kawasaki.....with nothing extra to offer.

Unless they come out with something totally new and unexpected to "energize" their customers, I don't look for it to succeed.

Now, if they'd come out with a tourer based on that 1800 V4 Vmax engine, THAT would literally BLOW the competition away. I just wouldn't be able to afford it.:( And the navigator wouldn't tolerate it anyway! :(:(

Never noticed, but that's a start. Now where's the tech section with all the how-to's?? There is a www.wingrider.com web site, but it's a bill board. Maybe it's available??

We really would only need to post links to sites that already have all that info. I like http://www.goldwingfacts.com , they have a wealth of info and pretty friendly folks.

And then there is http://www.gl1800riders.com for the definitive answers on the GL1800. If they don't have the answer you're looking for, it probably doesn't exist. Only problem is that the attitude there is not nearly as friendly as here. Before asking questions on their site, you are well advised to do some detailed searching first. They tend to be kinda rough on people who ask the same common questions that have been answered 100 times. I like the detailed tech info, but not their attitude. They need to have some training from Freebird to straighten them out.

I came across this .... check out the one at the end of the vid ... SWEEEEEET!

Yeah, sweet bike......but, it falls far short in several areas for me. I need luxurious passenger accomodations, a trunk, a windshield/fairing that not only protects the rider but the passenger as well, CRUISE CONTROL is a requirement, my short legs demand a reverse gear when I'm loaded to the hilt for long trips, and I don't think I can give up my CB either after using one for a couple years.

One of my riding buddies has a Strat, and I've ridden it. I like the power, it rides nice and is comfortable to sit on....but for long trips it just won't compare to the Goldwing or RSV. My friend seems to replace a lot of tires too...gets about half the mileage on a set that I get on my Wing. And it remains to be seen how long that bike will hold up. I'm not aware of any 150,000 mile units running around out there. It has to prove itself and change a lot before I could ever buy one. I do admire them from a distance though. :D