IGNORED

Engine rattle

Guest Scottimuss

Guest Scottimuss

I have an 83 XVZ12 and there is this noise that comes from the rt side of the engine that sounds like a chain slapping against the inside of the cylinder/upper case area BUT when i set the bike up right it goes away... back on the kick stand and its back, loud slapping sound..

could this be a stretched timing chain or a broken tensioner...

can the chain be adjusted or is it an auto tensioner?

doesnt seem to effect the engines performance but sounds like its going to fall apart...

any ideas???

Scott, you just described my bike before I replaced my gearset with the entire gearset out of an 86. Mine was not jumping in 2nd as I did an undercut on 2nd gear about 60,000 miles earlier, but I did not replace the thrust washer, I just turned it over. When the thrust washer gets worn enough, it will start making the noise you described with it on the side stand then go away when you bring it up straight. But it will get worse as it goes along. Jeff will fill you in on all this.

These are several options on the repair and it does not have to cost a lot. It just has a lot to do with how mechanical you are or your friends are. Let us know on what you want to do and we can walk you through it.

RandyA