IGNORED

Oregon-N California coast trip planning

Midrsv

I'm beginning to plan our next big ride for next summer. We're planning to make our way to Eugene OR and take 5 or 6 days to ride along the coast to Monterey CA. Does anyone have any suggested routes or must see places that we shouldn't miss. We'll probably travel in July.

Thanks,

Dennis

I would suggest to do a loop either getting there or going home that includes the International Rally in Cody WY that includes rides thru Yellowstone in 3rd week of July.

The Bearstooth Pass is known as one of the most breathtaking rides on the continent.

Brian

I rode down part of the left coast this summer and while some of the views were absolutely amazing there was A LOT of traffic. Campers, trailers, cars, etc. I took US 101 down much of it and the road was fine - it was just the people... Yikes.

I guess my suggestions would be if you are going to travel down US101 make sure you do it during the week and that you don't rush your trip. Since you say you are thinking of 5-6 days to get down, I think that kind of time table would make for a very enjoyable trip - even with the crap-ton of traffic. Yellowstone was alright - again, lots of people. The road I took through Big Sky was quite pretty too.

I don't know that I added anything of substance here, but there you go.

Note on the maps that there are two main routs for this trip, ie: Seattle to SFO or LAX. U.S. 101, and Calf 1 from SFO to LAX. And the central I-5 corridor.

Note on the maps that for the entire distance there are many State Highways running east and west between these two main routes. ( distance of about 60 to 90 miles. These are the best roads !!!!! They all run over the about 2000 to 2500 ft coastal mountain range

However the coast route is great.

Also, running I-5 from Central Calif all the way to Seattle is also a great run.

Especially from Redding Calif. to Eugene Oregon, the freeway runs thru the Mountains all that distance. This is about a 5 hour run.

Check the map for Cresent City, Calif. hyw to Grants pass. Oregon. A great 2.5 hour run. Hwy 199.

Also Or. Hwy 42 from Coo's Bay Or. to Roseburg Or. is a good run.

On the Calif map, note Calif Hyw 36 from Redding Calif to west to the Calif Coast.

Also, note that ANY! route across the coastal range, in Ca. Ore, or Wa. will be a Great ride!!! There are NO bad Motorcycle roads on the Left Coast!!

Except!! Any Oregon State Routes running West out of Portland Ore, Avoid that area. Too much traffic, and its bad.

In Washington State, ANY road, West of the I-5 Corridor is a Great Ride !!!!

If you make it to Astoria, Ore. be sure to ride across the bridge at the " Mouth of the Columbia River " Check out the Coast Guard Light House ship in Astoria. at the Maritime Museum.

At Tillamook Ore. be sure to stop at the Cheese Factory, And the Old U.S. Navy Blimp hanger just south of Tillamook, which is now a WWII Aircraft Museum. and the huge hanger itself is worth the stop !!

Also, if you are an Aviation Buff, you might want to stop at McMinville, Oregon and check out Howard Hughes' " Spruce Goose " the big plywood seaplane.

Keep an eye on the weather reports after arriveing in Calif. If hot, run the coast, if bad weather stick to the Inland roads, it will be hot !

If possible, spend 10 days out here instead of just 5 !! :thumbsup: :big-grin-emoticon:

While I would love to make it to the Cody rally I doubt that will fit within our time frame. I'll be travelling with 3 to 5 other riders. Our wives will fly out to meet us there. Since it is about 2500 miles from central KY to the west coast we'll plan to take 5 days out and back and then 5 to 7 days doing the fun parts along the coast. We've all been through Yellowstone and Glacier a few years ago so we'll probably pass those up on this trip. We don't plan to ride much further south than Monterey, maybe on down to Big Sur. We'll likely drop the ladies off at the Monterey airport and head east with a possible day through Yosemite. We'll want to see the Redwoods, Napa Valley a few mountains and the coast highway.

Keep the ideas coming.

Dennis