IGNORED

A pig in a poke.

Venturous Randy

For many of you that are not of the southern persuasion, this means you are buying something you know very little about and not real sure what you are going to get.

Anyway, yesterday I bought another 1st gen. It was listed on Craigslist as an 86 with needing some work for $600 and it was about 85 miles away. Thankfully for me, Skydoc did the last run for a bike that was not worth going after, so to say the least, I went into this with very little expectations. See Skydoc, you did a good thing for some of us and may not have realized it and no I am not going to contribute to your gas fund.

Before I decided to take off, he did agree to come down to $550 so that helped a little. When I got there the first thing was that it was an 85 instead of an 86 and I let him know I was disappointed in that and the 85 may still have the 2nd gear transmission problem, which by the way, with his experience with 1st gens he was aware of. I did mention that the problem was apparently solved in the 1450 range on the serial number on 85 models . This one turned out to be 1588. The bike is a Royale and complete as best I can tell, but had an electrical problem that he said was an igniter or whatever. I suspect a TCI, but won't know for sure until I get into it.

While discussing options, his buddy also mentioned there was an 83 engine in their parts warehouse that only had 30,000 miles on it. We took a look at it and it looked pretty good and with me planning on converting my 83 engine that has an 86 transmission over to the 2001 Venture transmission this winter, I was thinking I may be able to convert that one and replace the engine in my bike. So, I asked what he would have to have for the 85 bike and the 83 engine and he said I could have it all for $550 and I took it. Again, all this is a pig in a poke, so I won't know how well I did until I start going thru everything after I get it home. I did notice that the 85 had a real nice backrest on it.

RandyA

I saw an ad for a 85 Virago that said "needed work" and the price was $300 OBO. Now since that was cheap I thought this would be a good buy. :no-no-no: I went to look at it...what a junker. The lady said it ran but she couldn't get me to believe that since there were no carbs (supposedly in the shed) and it was rusted all over. No seat on it, repainted candy red (spray can job), all brakes froze and gauges broken out. At least I got the chance to look at it first.

:farmer:

Hey Randy,

It sounds like you came across a great deal, and right in your back yard!

(Good jab, by the way!) I think it is a great idea to rework the tranny in the low mileage motor and install it as a unit, that way you can still ride your scoot while you work on the other engine. If I remember correctly, isn't your current motor at or near the 100,000 mark? A low mileage motor, with the Second Gen. tranny should give you at least another 100,000 miles of riding fun. Great score, it couldn't have happened to a better man.:thumbsup2:

Earl

RE: Pig in a Poke

For many of you that are not of the southern persuasion, this means you are buying something you know very little about and not real sure what you are going to get.

Being of British persuasion, I thought this post was going to be about sausage rolls!

Hey Randy,

It sounds like you came across a great deal, and right in your back yard!

(Good jab, by the way!) I think it is a great idea to rework the tranny in the low mileage motor and install it as a unit, that way you can still ride your scoot while you work on the other engine. If I remember correctly, isn't your current motor at or near the 100,000 mark? A low mileage motor, with the Second Gen. tranny should give you at least another 100,000 miles of riding fun. Great score, it couldn't have happened to a better man.:thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl, I figured you would enjoy the jab. My bike has about 142,000 miles on it and really runs strong, but I am beginning to get more oil into the breather area that I figure is ring blowby and I run the oil level in the middle to slightly lower. My bike does not seem to use any oil, but as you say, this would be an excellent opportunity to build another 83 engine with all the things I want to do, such as solid motor mounts(hint SGN) and just do a swap out. Actually, I was considering a re-ring as part of the trans swap, but I really did not want to.

Thanks for the encouragement guys and I do hope it works out for the good,

RandyA

RE: Pig in a Poke

Being of British persuasion, I thought this post was going to be about sausage rolls!

Being an ex pat myself Trader , I had the same though but without the mention of beans (or deep frying), well i knew it wasn't about traditional British fare .:crackup:

$550 sounds like a wicked deal for bike and a spare engine . Been lookin myself for something along that line , to do up and maybe ship back to the UK .