IGNORED

lowering the rear?

On my RSTD, I lowered the front and rear about 3/4". At my height, that makes it safer for two-up at stop.

On the rear I have the Barons kit but got new links made half way between stock and their 1/1/2" size.

I want to do the same on my 2009 Venture. But if I am only going about 3/4", I'm wondering if I need to go to the trouble of installing a rear calliper relocation kit (IE: Barons).

So, does anyone know how far you can drop the rear before you need to move the calliper????

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Have you looked into other options before lowering the bike???

E.g. cutting the seat down and/or making the nose of the seat narrower or having thick soles installed on your boots, etc...

I as because when you lower a bike you also increase the minimum turn radius which might be a problem in an emergency maneuver.

For your and your passenger's safety please explore other options before lowering your bike as we want you to be around for a long time!!!!!!!

Hi KiteSquid,

Thanks, I did several searches on lowering before posting. Already know your feelings on lowering.

But, My RSTD handles GREAT, exactly as I want, no problems that you note. Had it lowered about 3/4" front and rear for a couple of years and 76k miles. So, I'm good on the handling issues.

I want to repeat that amount of lowering, front & back on the RSV. The problem is not the ride, it's the stopping when two up with 29-30" inseam. The safety of not tossing my wife when stopping is my concern.

So, my question is how far you can go in the back before having to relocate the calliper.

Anyone know that?

Thanks, Mike G in SC

I have the lowering kit on my RSV.I have the same problem...short legs.No way would i be able to hold the bike up,2up, with out it.I have the full kit.bike handles fine.But stopping is still a problem with all that weight of the bike and 2up.wife and i are not small people.Robin says if I drop her one more time...there will be a trike kit in our future.:bang head:

On my RSTD, I lowered the front and rear about 3/4". At my height, that makes it safer for two-up at stop.

On the rear I have the Barons kit but got new links made half way between stock and their 1/1/2" size.

I want to do the same on my 2009 Venture. But if I am only going about 3/4", I'm wondering if I need to go to the trouble of installing a rear calliper relocation kit (IE: Barons).

So, does anyone know how far you can drop the rear before you need to move the calliper????

Thanks, Mike G in SC

Baron has the kit and it will lower your Venture to about an inch. With that said, Baron recommends the relocation of your rear caliper so that it does not interfere with the rear fender. So I would guess that if you drop about 1 inch, you will have to relocate your caliper.

At any rate, I have in my garage a Brand New Rear Lowering Kit in an unopened case - that is the Baron Rear Lowering Kit Part # BA-7530-00. This kit comes with the relocation hardware for your Caliper. When I got my Venture, I thought I will have to lower it...but decided not too. Glad I didn't lower the bike for it handles great. At 5'5" and riding 2 up, it feels just fine going to a stop...but I do understand your preference of having more control with a lower rear on your Venture.

So if you are interested with the Baron Rear Lowering kit, give me a reasonable offer...it is For Sale. :301:

Mike

Baron has the kit and it will lower your Venture to about an inch. With that said, Baron recommends the relocation of your rear caliper so that it does not interfere with the rear fender. So I would guess that if you drop about 1 inch, you will have to relocate your caliper.

At any rate, I have in my garage a Brand New Rear Lowering Kit in an unopened case - that is the Baron Rear Lowering Kit Part # BA-7530-00. This kit comes with the relocation hardware for your Caliper. When I got my Venture, I thought I will have to lower it...but decided not too. Glad I didn't lower the bike for it handles great. At 5'5" and riding 2 up, it feels just fine going to a stop...but I do understand your preference of having more control with a lower rear on your Venture.

So if you are interested with the Baron Rear Lowering kit, give me a reasonable offer...it is For Sale. :301:

Mike

Mike, PM sent to you. Mike G

I read more on Rick Butler's seat mod, then I corresponded with him.

He thinks he can cut about 1" out of the height (with improved comfort to boot).

I will send him my seats right after Thanksgiving.

THEN, if I think I need a bit more,,, I will go after the front first.

Thanks all,

Mike G in SC

I had Rick cut and narrow my seat and it did help, but if ya really want to get it lower, find a Corbin and have it cut down. My Corbin sits much lower than the pillow tops, but you have to like a Corbin seat. They aint for everybody. Craig

Yep! Corbin and Mustang are popular seats for motorcycles. They are pricey, but it may lower the seat height depending on the style. A custom made seat may the better rout for people who are vertically challenged. :whistling:

BTW, my Baron lowering kit is still For Sale.:stirthepot: