IGNORED

Need Avon Cobra Tire! Fork Oil advice needed!

1joeranger

Time to install a new front tire! Where is the best deal now for Avon Cobra's? Also plan on chaning the fork oil and adjusting the steering Head bearings. Could use some input there! This is the only write up I could find for the procedure:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002013&id=349

Thinking about putting a zerk fitting in the steering head yoke area? Any thoughts on that? I know there was a how to write up but cannot find it?!

What else should I be doing while I have this all apart?

THANKS ALL!!

Try Dennis Kirk for the tire, and Pray that you can get it all back together!!:stickpoke:

Time to install a new front tire! Where is the best deal now for Avon Cobra's? Also plan on chaning the fork oil and adjusting the steering Head bearings. Could use some input there! This is the only write up I could find for the procedure:

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002013&id=349

Thinking about putting a zerk fitting in the steering head yoke area? Any thoughts on that? I know there was a how to write up but cannot find it?!

What else should I be doing while I have this all apart?

THANKS ALL!!

Thanks All!! Jake Wilson, is in the lead with DennisKirk a nose behind! Cycle Gear is either out of stock or not showing a 150/80R-16. They do show a 150/80HR-17. Not sure what that is but am sure price is not competitive! I have had good service from DennisKirk but wasn't sure who JakeWilson was.

So I am assuming JakeWilson.com is legit? Plus they have Dyna Beads!!! Yhea Me!!! Please, really, not trying to start another p****g match here regarding beads!

I did the grease zerk mod. Then I pumped in 1 1/2 tubes of grease. I suspect my down tubes will never rust. When I pull the front end down for the fork R&R I'm going to pull the steering head as well and block off the hole that has to be there.

I too, tried to get some info on fork oil without much luck. The factory oil is 5wt. I was going to dump in some 10wt to go with the new Racetech 1.0 springs that are going in, but now I'm thinking that may be too thick. Maybe 7wt would be better. I've used both oils in cruisers in the past and liked the ride with both.

Anything over 10wt, in my opinion, is too heavy. I tried 15wt in my Spirit and the forks felt like you were riding on a brick.

I read something about this hole awhile back?!??

It was found that some Ventures have a hole in the neck tube left over from fabrication. That hole needs to be welded or closed in some manner, to allow enough grease gun pressure to push grease into and thru the bearings. Otherwise the grease just goes out thru the hole in the tube.

I think that even with the hole, my air driven grease gun most likely pushes "some" grease into the bearings, but I'm not 100% confident, as no grease comes out of the bearings.

Further, even with the grease trick on the drill bit and tap, when installing the zerk, there is a fairly high risk of metal shavings dropping down into the lower bearing. I think that the grease zerk is a good idea, but it should be done during dis-assembly of the stem.