IGNORED

Hmm-m-m-m, red rear side reflector?

Mel

When I bought my 2007 RSV (2nd owner) it had the saddlebag guard rails installed. I think the PO had them installed by his dealer.

There is no red side reflector on the guard rails, but all of the pics I see of RSV's without the guard rails show a reflector on the chrome bar in front of the saddle bag. This bar is obviously removed to install the guard rails.

I wonder why Yamaha thought it was necessary to have a reflector on the original factory machine, but not on their accessory guard rails?

Has anyone added a reflector(s) to the guard rail(s), and if so, what/where/how? Just seems like it should be there (for legal requirements?).

The reflector on the crash bar is removed when the bag rails are added. Most folks move the reflector to the bag rail. It requires a little shimming because the bag rail is a smaller diameter than the crash bar. I believe a red reflector is required by most states...

When I had my bike on two wheels ZI just mounted the side markers to the bag rails. I also converted the reflector to a led light set up. JCW sells the led lights as a replacement for the Gold Wings. It's a perfect fit. I ran the wires thru the crash bar and made the connection under the seat. Less than 1" of wire is exopsed on the backside and hard to see unless one looks for it.

Larry

When I had my bike on two wheels ZI just mounted the side markers to the bag rails. I also converted the reflector to a led light set up. JCW sells the led lights as a replacement for the Gold Wings. It's a perfect fit. I ran the wires thru the crash bar and made the connection under the seat. Less than 1" of wire is exopsed on the backside and hard to see unless one looks for it.

Larry

Pics?

Larry

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I did this so long ago that I have replaced the originals due to plastic deterioration. Works as a reflector and light.

:farmer:

When I bought my 2007 RSV (2nd owner) it had the saddlebag guard rails installed. I think the PO had them installed by his dealer.

There is no red side reflector on the guard rails, but all of the pics I see of RSV's without the guard rails show a reflector on the chrome bar in front of the saddle bag. This bar is obviously removed to install the guard rails.

I wonder why Yamaha thought it was necessary to have a reflector on the original factory machine, but not on their accessory guard rails?

Has anyone added a reflector(s) to the guard rail(s), and if so, what/where/how? Just seems like it should be there (for legal requirements?).

The reflectors or mounted vertically in the original configuration. After I mounted the saddlebag rails I went to Lowe's or Home Depot(can't remember which) and bought four rubber grommets to make up the difference in the size of the tubing.

• 1 year later...

Well, I personally took the rear red reflectors off even before putting the bag rails. Just got done installing the bag rails and I'm just going to leave them off. Not sure if it's legal or not in my state not to have them, but I think it looks cleaner without them. Thinking about removing the front orange ones, but I think that a little more involved since it seems to be part of a larger assembly, if nothing else I'll just cut them off since it a plastic piece.

Well, I personally took the rear red reflectors off even before putting the bag rails. Just got done installing the bag rails and I'm just going to leave them off. Not sure if it's legal or not in my state not to have them, but I think it looks cleaner without them. Thinking about removing the front orange ones, but I think that a little more involved since it seems to be part of a larger assembly, if nothing else I'll just cut them off since it a plastic piece.

most riders add more lights or reflectors, not remove them. Adding more lights seems to be a reflex reaction to a near miss at night. Or just a concern for the priceof plastic surgery... :080402gudl_prv:

most riders add more lights or reflectors, not remove them. Adding more lights seems to be a reflex reaction to a near miss at night. Or just a concern for the priceof plastic surgery... :080402gudl_prv:

Added $5.00 Autozone LEDs to my RSV.

The red ones I put on the trunk, look just like the amber ones on the fairing.

I agree with Catalyst on this one. Don't really care for the 'bicycle' look. I'm pretty sure it's a state requirement (IL) but I don't care for them. . .I wanted to get the 'passing' lamps till one day I saw a bike with them on around dusk. It actually looked like one car following closely behind another. SO I will just stay with my head light modulator. . .A friend of mine said he could see my bike 3 miles away. . .another can't stand it when I'm behind him. . .he moves all his mirrors. . .so I'm mindful to turn it off in stop and go traffic. Best $$ I spent. . . .I had this on my Road Star for 2 years and just moved to the TD

just saying

Tim