IGNORED

Trunk Spoiler installation

It was probably about a year ago that I picked up a used trunk spoiler. I think I'm going to finally install it and have a question for any of you that have added the Yamaha spoiler to your trunks.

It came with rubber washers and flat washers. Does the rubber washer go on top of the trunk or do both go inside?

One rubber washer on top, and one rubber washer inside with flat washers on top of each..

I covered the areas of the four legs with masking tape so as not to scratch the paint while laying it out..

I put tape on the bottom of each leg, and carefully laid it on the trunk, centered it by eye best I could, then placed 4 pieces of masking tape on the trunk under each leg.

I drilled through the tape and trunk, then removed the tape from the trunk, but not the spoiler until I knew the holes lined up.

The two aft holes must be drilled on a slight angle to line up properly.

:080402gudl_prv:

ECK, Huh ? I just read the whole thing. The spoiler only has 3 mounting holes. You must be thinking luggage rack.

Don you should only have 3 screws,rubber washers and steel washers. Plus the long rubber gasket that goes on the bottom. Oh and a couple of weird plastic things to show you where to drill the 3 holes plus one for the wires.

Rubber washers go against the trunk (inside) then the steel washers, then the screw.

Yea, I thought that it only had 3 screws. There would be a 4th hole for the wires. I also didn't get the long rubber gasket. Would have to make one of those too. Now I'm getting out of the mood to do it again. Maybe I'll wait another year. :confused24:

I've installed four of them. I'll do yours at MD if you want. Or a good excuse for you to come up here for a vacation.

Never seen a long gasket on any I've done before, only the rubber washers for the screws.

I have purchased and installed two of these from Yamaha. Neither came with a rubber gasket. They did come with a long rubber tube (wire guide) that was supposed to be used as a wire loom. It was almost impossible to get the wires through the guide. then when I did it wouldn't stick to the inside of the trunk lid. So I used the plastic edge of a file folder holder as a loom. They are available in any color. Heat them with a hair dryer to get a bend that matches the contour of the trunk lid. Also when I drilled the hole for the wires I used a rubber grommet so leaking wouldn't be an issue. If you want Yamaha's install instructions pm me and I will scan them for you. But be warned the quality of their pictures is terrible.

Mike

Don, there is NO rubber gasket for the spoiler - just the three rubber washers and three steel washers. The rubber washer goes against the inside of the trunk, the steel washer between the rubber washer and the screw. This information is coming straight from the factory instruction sheet, not from my memory or imagination.

You do not want to make any sort of a rubber gasket to put under the spoiler - if you do, and it really seals the gap, all you will do is trap a pool of water above the spoiler. The water needs to be able do drain by running under the spoiler.

Goose

A lesson learned a long time ago...MEASURE TWICE! CUT (drill) ONCE!!!

I set mine by, temporarily taped it to the trunk, measured, adjusted then drilled. The wiring was the worst part of the install since the rear pillion was removed to get to the correct wire clips. What a difference in the looks of the bike AND the extra visability from the LEDs. Have fun! Brian

• 5 years later...

So, Gary.......ARE there two different ways to wire these things? One way that has the light work as a brake light.....and a different way that lets it work as ONLY a running light?

I'm going nuts trying to figure out where I thought I was the two different techniques. If I recall correctly, one of the setups called for the soldering of a 100 ohm resistor onto the end of one of the wires......and then it was just left to swing in the breeze down near the battery box. No? (or have I been smoking the cheap stuff again!?!? :-)

Thanks for any info.

Mike

So, Gary.......ARE there two different ways to wire these things? One way that has the light work as a brake light.....and a different way that lets it work as ONLY a running light?

I'm going nuts trying to figure out where I thought I was the two different techniques. If I recall correctly, one of the setups called for the soldering of a 100 ohm resistor onto the end of one of the wires......and then it was just left to swing in the breeze down near the battery box. No? (or have I been smoking the cheap stuff again!?!? :-)

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Ok so if you put a 100 ohm resister in to the circuit feeding from the tail light power to the light bar that will dim them some and if you also run the brake light power circuit to the light bar (no resister) when you apply the brakes the LEDs will illuminate at full brightness. You may want to install diodes on each circuit so the two circuits do not cross talk to each other. (I would)

I have started doing that on the light bars I sell so all of the LEDs are on as tail lights and also as brake lights.