IGNORED

Swingarm Pivot Bushing help...

naturbar

i'm at the mileage interval where i need to lubricate the swingarm bushings on my 07 RSTD.... can anyone either direct me to a thread or provide some insight as to how to accomplish this? thanks !!!

I just checked the parts manual figuring there's gotta be zerks on there somewhere. It doesn't show a thing. They added jerks to the 1stGen MKII, but it looks like Y took a step backwards and copied the MKI's that doesn't have them..... Unless I'm missing something the 2ndGens may need to have zerks added???

I just used a needle attachment for my greese gun, to shot the greese into the bearings.

Avialable at most auto parts stores.

Just remove the nuts, and washers and shoot in the greese.

Also, you will need a large Torque wrench to re-install the nuts on each side. And, you will need two large Metric Sockets. On the 1st gens, the nuts are different size on each side of the bike. Sorry, you have to buy two large Sockets.

Check the maint manuel, for the size, and torque settings. ( manuel is on line this web site. ) if you don't have one.

I just used a needle attachment for my greese gun, to shot the greese into the bearings.

Also, you will need a large Torque wrench to re-install the nuts on each side. And, you will need two large Metric Sockets. On the 1st gens, the nuts are different size on each side of the bike. Sorry, you have to buy two large Sockets.

Check the maint manuel, for the size, and torque settings. ( manuel is on line this web site. ) if you don't have one.

GeorgeS,

that is very encouraging news.... i was afraid i needed to completely disassemble the rear of bike and actually remove the swingarm. i have the large torque wrench and large sockets in my tool chest, i also have the link to the manual. i'll just need to get the needle attachment...does it just fit on the end like the regular Zerk fittings? what a relief to know that i don't have to tear the bike apart to do this maintenance !

hope that works, as I need to do mine also. George ( Sleeperhawk ) did his last year, posted pics on here some place, but it is a total tear down of this beast!! Post how that works for ya.

Thanks,

GeorgeS,

that is very encouraging news.... i was afraid i needed to completely disassemble the rear of bike and actually remove the swingarm. i have the large torque wrench and large sockets in my tool chest, i also have the link to the manual. i'll just need to get the needle attachment...does it just fit on the end like the regular Zerk fittings? what a relief to know that i don't have to tear the bike apart to do this maintenance !

Man I feel honered just thinkin about you fine fellas beating, ah I mean working on my bike.... well with all thats going on, it will probably be Dec. before I can do it, I hope to able to order a shock by that time also..its not gone yet but it groans at me pretty good every morning...I know, I should be used to that!! Saved you from sayin it :rasberry:

Kreg, Gumbo did his awhile back. We'll tear it down for ya! :puzzled: Don can help us if we get stuck. BTW, he's pretty darn good with a hammer. :missingtooth:

no way around it got to jack it up and pull it apart. not a bad job with a couple of nuggets working on it. i promise to leave my 25# sledge hammer at home. no zerk fittings anywhere. i have a spare swingarm. that i have also thought about adding z-fittings on the arm but have not operated yet. kreg have you done the 1/2 oz tranny fluid & the 1/2 oz 40 wt fork oil mix injected in the top of the shock? rick butler came up with this quick fix for the grone but it's only a tem. fix. let me know when your ready to operate. i love working on others bikes. just like grandkids spoil'em and give them back. not necessary the way you got them.

don c. :smile5:

no way around it got to jack it up and pull it apart. not a bad job with a couple of nuggets working on it. i promise to leave my 25# sledge hammer at home. no zerk fittings anywhere. i have a spare swingarm. that i have also thought about adding z-fittings on the arm but have not operated yet. kreg have you done the 1/2 oz tranny fluid & the 1/2 oz 40 wt fork oil mix injected in the top of the shock? rick butler came up with this quick fix for the grone but it's only a tem. fix. let me know when your ready to operate. i love working on others bikes. just like grandkids spoil'em and give them back. not necessary the way you got them.

don c. :smile5:

" quick fix for the grone"......... that groan you hear is me (don't think trans fluid and fork oil is gonna do the trick, but maybe a cold beer will help) when i read that you have to tear the bike apart. i'm not going to worry about it right now - i will keep my eye on the swingarm as the miles progress and when the time comes then i will dig into it. thanks for your comment.

Will someone please do the grease zerk thing to their second gen Venture swing arm and post with step by step pictures and instructions on the "HOW TO DO IT"?

I too would like to do the swing arm grease zerks this coming winter in comfort of my heated garage. :yikes:

But I learn better from others. :Avatars_Gee_George:

Well I'm waiting! LOL

Really I would like to see this well documented with pictures. Maybe Squidly (or shall I say Cup Cake):stirthepot: would like to visit the great frozzen North again to lounge around in the snow. (I said snow :crying:)

• 1 year later...

Check the maint manuel, for the size, and torque settings. ( manuel is on line this web site. ) if you don't have one.[/quote

Just wondering if there had been any update to this method.

Seems reasonable as long as there is not any play side to side and up and down movement is smooth.

If this doesn't seem to be a viable option then will just have to tear it down and try out my new lift adapter and torque wrenches.

Edited by playboy