IGNORED

Now I'm an X-Darksider

First_N_Last

Well after putting 10,000 miles on my Kumho CT, I replaced it with a Avon Venom.

During the 10,000 mile Kumho test I endured:

--- multiple wild tank-slapping episodes on curves above 70 mph

--- instability trying to stop sideways on a grade... tire wanted to dump the bike

--- instability on grooved highway

--- pain in the ass getting comments from people telling me my wobble problems were other bike problems & that I needed to fix them because there was nothing wrong with a CT

Well, I changed the tire & tested it today. I took the same routes & speeds that always generated a wobble.

There is NO WOBBLE! Woo HOO!

I then redid the test with speeds up to 100 mph (corrected). So now if I get carried away passing or avoiding, I don't have to fear a Tank Slapping episode of SUPER FEAR.

The 2008 RSV rides & handles great now. No CT for me ever again on a 2 wheel motorcycle.

JohnB

You must know that some dark sider will pipe up suggesting you must have been riding it .....

1. with too much air pressure
  2. with not enough air pressure
  3. mounted directionally the wrong way

or some other reason ....because who would ever consider that a CAR tire wouldn't be ideal for a bike?

:stickpoke:

DUH!

:rasberry::rasberry::rasberry:

.....wait for it!

First and Last,

I had the same issues. I tried the Kuhmo and put about 2500 miles on mine. Same issues...the wobble, the instablility on grooved highways. I went into the experience expecting to love it. My brother has been riding dark on his GW for years. I was disappointed that i couldnt get it to work for me. I loved the rear wheel braking and the acceleration boost it gave.

I felt like I had my old bike back as soon as i put the Venom on the rear. I too and done with the CT at least on the RSV. Maybe in the future i will give it another shot on a different bike.

Take care and ride safe!

v/r

-Motor

:stirthepot: I wasn't there John, so I can't comment on your problem with the Kumho other than to say that your riding habits do not go well with the tire combination on your Venture.

In reading some of the comments from you and others that have tried the CT on their Venture I would suggest replacing the Venture with a crotch rocket of some kind. They seem to be more suited for the type of riding that some are trying accomplish on a cruiser/touring bike.

I still have the Kumho on my Venture, running 54lbs pressure and have no problems. Perhaps the big difference is the way I ride, I don't care if I get there before everybody else.

I'm sure you will be happy with the Avon, especially when peace of mind comes into play :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

My RSV 2008 is still a DARKSIDER!

Here is the update info...

First of all... all the other comments that DarkSiders made about my wobble/tank slapping problem with the past CT installed had to be correct. There had to have been something wrong which caused the problem. Since that time, the rear MonoShock was replaced. That was most likely my wobble problem.

After I installed the Voyager kit, I installed a Nankang CT on the rear. No problems were noted for 5000 miles.

Then I pulled the Voyager kit off & have been riding it as a normal 2 wheel bike still with the Nankang CT on the rear. Absolutely no trouble has been experienced. The Bike handles great on all those high speed bumping curves going to & from work that were so troublesome before the defective MonoShock was replaced.

So there you go, HummingBird & others were right, I was wrong & just didn't work at it hard enough to fix the real problem before giving up & taking the Kuhmo CT off.

Argh! :bang head:

JohnnyB