IGNORED

RoadLiner S 113ci. 1854 cc

GeorgeS

Anybody have any comments as to the quality, and any problems, with this model Yamaha ??

I have been to a few dealers latley, and seen several of them on sale for what seems to be bargain price's.

Any comments from anybody who has owned a ridden these bikes would be appreciated !! Thanks.

I like the bike. I've ridden them and been considering adding one for some time. The only mechanical drawback is the rear tire life and few choices for replacements. 6000 miles is about the best you can expect from a motorcycle tire from all that I have read. I guess that's why it seems a lot of 'Liner riders go to car tires. Even with a CT I think they only get an average of 15k miles.

There isn't a lot of aftermarket items for them yet.

And aesthetics... you love it or you hate it. I don't care for the new low handlebar look that Yammi has gone to but that's easily remedied.

I had a Liner for a year. Put 20k miles on it. I never found the seating position to be that great. It sits you up on top, like an old standard, rather than in the bike, like a real cruiser. I t-boned a 68 Chevelle. Not a lot of give in those. Totaled the Liner. Tried an FJR for a couple of years, but ended up going back to the RSTD, It is just way more comfortable.

I had a 2006 Stratoliner S for a bit over a year. Also had my RSTD same time.

It's a sharp looking bike, good mechanics and few problems for me.

Previous owner had put on a Mustang seat. (way too hard).

I never warmed up to it. Felt like I was sitting on a telephone pole with a saddle.

It has tons of raw power. You want to pass,,,, you pass even if you are already doing 90. It out handled my RSTD in the mountains (and left most of my friends too).

My neighbor bought it, he's happy. I don't miss it a bit.

• 1 year later...
I had a 2006 Stratoliner S for a bit over a year. Also had my RSTD same time.

It's a sharp looking bike, good mechanics and few problems for me.

Previous owner had put on a Mustang seat. (way too hard).

I never warmed up to it. Felt like I was sitting on a telephone pole with a saddle.

It has tons of raw power. You want to pass,,,, you pass even if you are already doing 90. It out handled my RSTD in the mountains (and left most of my friends too).

My neighbor bought it, he's happy. I don't miss it a bit.

Thanks for the comments, Interesting - Outhandled the RSTD ??? Very interesting.

^^^ that was a Stratoliner he was referring to... heh. Not Roadliner,... Two very different bikes.

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the Roadliner was just a "less equipped" Stratoliner. Is that not true?

I know the RoadStar is very different, but what are the differences in the Roadliner and Stratoliner beyond cosmetics?

EDIT: Found this comparison on Yammie's website. Looks like they are twin brothers: http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/484/0/specs.aspx

the strat is a roadliner with windshield and bags. the roadstar is a totally different bike. the thing i like least about my strat, is i can,t stay off of it. it sits very low, handles like my wing, has balls out power, may be as fast or faster than my wing, hard to tell, totally different power delivery. no engine heat at all. stock seat sits low and very comfortable for me. it is very smooth for a v-twin, and the ride is ultra smooth. the consensus is the cause for the short life for the rear tire is a heavy hand on the throttle. the thing has such tremendous lowend torque i have a tendency to acelerate harder than i realize. it feels so good. the bars leave a little to be desired, if you don't have long arms. i have a nomad 1600, and a v-star 1300, i like to ride them both but the strat just has a certain magnetism about it so it gets rode the most. low speed handling is excellent. the engine is noisy but not annoying like the dreaded chirp. what else can i say. :cool10:

Hey FreezyRider, I think Bones ment big difference between Road Star, not Roadliner. True, Road Liner has less equipment that is all, handles same to me as Stratoliner. Never owned either one, but have road friends who had each, for several miles. If your thinking about one, to me spend the extra $$$ and get the S model, like Roadliner S. Later-

Hey FreezyRider, I think Bones ment big difference between Road Star, not Roadliner. True, Road Liner has less equipment that is all, handles same to me as Stratoliner. Never owned either one, but have road friends who had each, for several miles. If your thinking about one, to me spend the extra $$$ and get the S model, like Roadliner S. Later-
i agree the s is dripping with extra chrome. i bought my left over 09 strat s new on ebay for

$11,450 out the door.

I have ridden my friend's Stratoliner a few times. Have to agree with Snarley about the power, it is awesome. That said, my Wing will still outrun it in any test you want to give it....quarter mile, 50 mph roll-on, twisties. But it is close, close enough that it really doesn't matter. If I were to buy one, it would be the Deluxe with the fairing. Only problem is, then I'd have to add a bunch of $$ to make it comfy for the Boss. Trunk, new seats, etc. After all that I still wouldn't have the one accessories that, to me, is killer. REVERSE. When you have a 27 inch inseam, reverse is nearly a requirement.

Guest tx2sturgis

I took a Stratoliner Deluxe for a demo at Sturgis last year and I did NOT like that bike at all.

But the S model might be more tolerable. The Deluxe is really out there...its a bar-hopper and feels like it.

It reluctantly obliged me but after the ride was over, as I put it back on its third leg, it told me to move along please. Next.

I was glad to be off that thing.

Test drove a 950, 1300, and Stratoliner last year. I gotta admit, they all worked to my standards well enough. Loved the Strato Deluxe. I could already see the potential dancing in my eyes...

then again... I can see the potential in my Lady, but that potential puts me out some serious heavy duty cash.

But anyway, the Strato was pretty good. Road Liner, I'd imagine the same.

Road Star was essentially a beefed up version of the V-Star Line, and ment to be a bridge between those and the Royal Star, with the Strato being the--well if you don't want that, how about this? bike. The Strato and the Road Liner are essentially the same tho :) Just like the RSTD, and the RSV are the same thing underneath.

I have ridden my friend's Stratoliner a few times. Have to agree with Snarley about the power, it is awesome. That said, my Wing will still outrun it in any test you want to give it....quarter mile, 50 mph roll-on, twisties. But it is close, close enough that it really doesn't matter. If I were to buy one, it would be the Deluxe with the fairing. Only problem is, then I'd have to add a bunch of $$ to make it comfy for the Boss. Trunk, new seats, etc. After all that I still wouldn't have the one accessories that, to me, is killer. REVERSE. When you have a 27 inch inseam, reverse is nearly a requirement.
i never raced a wing but have read on the strat site that guys have run right with them. my wing was awful fast. i don't think the strat would stay with the wing in low gear. in the curves is another close call. i could drag metal on both of them, and they both feel secure and predictable. if some one wants a decked out tour bike the strat was'nt meant to be one like the wing or venture. the wing still sets the standard for touring bikes. my knees and legs just would'nt work with the tight leg quarters on the wing, no fault of the bike itself. i still say the max is going to evolve into the next gen yammer tourer. steak dinner still pending. i did'nt forget. :rasberry: ps, freezy come on down to my meet and eat again in a couple of weeks. hope to see you there good buddy.

i never raced a wing but have read on the strat site that guys have run right with them. my wing was awful fast. i don't think the strat would stay with the wing in low gear. in the curves is another close call. i could drag metal on both of them, and they both feel secure and predictable. if some one wants a decked out tour bike the strat was'nt meant to be one like the wing or venture. the wing still sets the standard for touring bikes. my knees and legs just would'nt work with the tight leg quarters on the wing, no fault of the bike itself. i still say the max is going to evolve into the next gen yammer tourer. steak dinner still pending. i did'nt forget. :rasberry: ps, freezy come on down to my meet and eat again in a couple of weeks. hope to see you there good buddy.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for my 6-course STEAK DINNER, Bill!!! My memory is slipping in some areas but not when it comes to FREE FOOD!!! :rasberry:

I'm trying really hard to figure out a way for me to make it to your meet. Stinking WORK seems to be the issue.....we are in the middle of an entire server/network system upgrade, and wouldn't you know it has to be the entire month of June!!! I am hoping that things will be going smoothly enough that I can slip away for 2 days and beat it down there....but it will probably have to be a last-minute call. Believe me, if I can swing it I WILL be there!

Joe

Well, just get back home from MD yesterday with Strat. There is no downside with that bike. As someone stated before tire life is little consern, but i have mu Avon Cobra in stock size and have more than 6K on rear and it didnt show wear yet. There is lot of technology in that bike. Yamaha did goooood homework making some revolutionary eginereeng tweks. This is a first bike which have weight equaly distributed between front and rear wheel. Life of front tire is less than we expect like on Venture. I have Harley rear tire installed on front backwards, so that help little bit to save money. Otherwise there is stratoliner / roadliner web site as this one, and they have plenty of info you are looking for.

Best

Dan

Well, just get back home from MD yesterday with Strat. There is no downside with that bike. As someone stated before tire life is little consern, but i have mu Avon Cobra in stock size and have more than 6K on rear and it didnt show wear yet. There is lot of technology in that bike. Yamaha did goooood homework making some revolutionary eginereeng tweks. This is a first bike which have weight equaly distributed between front and rear wheel. Life of front tire is less than we expect like on Venture. I have Harley rear tire installed on front backwards, so that help little bit to save money. Otherwise there is stratoliner / roadliner web site as this one, and they have plenty of info you are looking for.

Best

Dan

hey dan, did'nt know if you still had your strat. i sure lke mine. i screwed up and put the patrick racing big airkit on mine, and the intake noise is terrible. may go back to the oem aircleaner. i also have the new cobra autotune and d&d slip-on. the exaust sounds great and she really runs strong but the intake noise is as loud as the exaust. hope to see you down the road. come on down.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for my 6-course STEAK DINNER, Bill!!! My memory is slipping in some areas but not when it comes to FREE FOOD!!! :rasberry:

I'm trying really hard to figure out a way for me to make it to your meet. Stinking WORK seems to be the issue.....we are in the middle of an entire server/network system upgrade, and wouldn't you know it has to be the entire month of June!!! I am hoping that things will be going smoothly enough that I can slip away for 2 days and beat it down there....but it will probably have to be a last-minute call. Believe me, if I can swing it I WILL be there!

Joe

i'm so sure your going to lose, i will even go for dessert. :rotf:

I may be mistaken, but I thought that the Roadliner was just a "less equipped" Stratoliner. Is that not true?

I know the RoadStar is very different, but what are the differences in the Roadliner and Stratoliner beyond cosmetics?

EDIT: Found this comparison on Yammie's website. Looks like they are twin brothers: http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/products/modelspecs/484/0/specs.aspx

Yeppers I goofed on that one... I had myself a bit confused with the Roadstar. Sorry about that...