IGNORED

Rear turn signal mod

naturbar

my wife & i were coming home from a beautiful ride on the Blue Ridge last Saturday. after we stopped for a late lunch, my wife wanted to go into one of her favorite department stores.....as i waited outside a man and his wife stopped to talk to me about my RSTD.....said he used to own a '97 TD and what a great bike it was..... he said i could get a set of 'front' turn signals from an '04 and earlier RSTD and mount them on the rear in place of the original turn signals...which would provide a running light as well as a turn signal .....he said the older fronts lights had an 1157 bulb and that i would need to tap into the red wire to make the running light portion work...has anyone done this mod??

I've sure thought about, but never gotten around to it. The next issue is getting red lenses for them. I don't think amber lenses lit all the time is legal.

I kinda wonder about that. All autos have red brake, turn, and running??? Why are they so special?? :)

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?Category_ID=48&manufacturer_ID=223&product_ID=6421&model_ID=1

Are you just wanting to add more rear light?

I installed this kit and love it. Rear running lights and brake lights in my turn signals now. Original amber turn signals remain intact.

Thanks Okiestar, I just purchased an 05 RSV and have been looking for something just like this. I just ordered one! :thumbsup2:

Thanks Okiestar, I just purchased an 05 RSV and have been looking for something just like this. I just ordered one! :thumbsup2:

The link seems to point back to the Electrical Connections Turn Signal Conversion kit. If so, you might appreciate this how-to. There aren't a lot of replies, but read the ones that mention problems and how they were solved.

Dave

I had this Mod on My 06 RSTD got red lens from kuryakn. However came accross this Manufacture and have used their product for about 3 yrs now. Just put one on my RSV. They are a little pricey however, if you want to be seen, i think this is the way to go. I use the integrated brake signal unit. http://WWW.Kriss.com

:thumbsup2:

No Problem. Dave's original "how to" post led me to that product. (Thanks Dave) I'll admit I got confused following his instructions, lol, but I found the included ones sufficient for most DYIer's.

The wife is thrilled with the added lighting. We also wired the double LED license plate frame from custom dynamics as a running/brake light too. We're difficult NOT to see now.

http://www.customdynamics.com/dualbar_license.htm Item #: 02028

I'm embarrassed to admit the amount of time we spent in a dark garage that night, squeezing the brakes, admiring the finished job!

I have had the Electrical Connection light kit on several bikes and have always been pleased with the performance. If you have the skill I would sugggest that you solder the connections. The supplied connector are big and bulky and can be a source of problems later on.

Below is a link showing how this change was made on a 1st gen.

Stock turn signal lenses dyed red & 1157 socket installed in original housing.

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47227

Lenses have not faded over this summer any that I can notice.

Gary

Dying the lenses red. I never would have thought of that. This will be my method if I ever get around to doing this.

I always like the DIY method of mods. However in this case I found from a wireing and safety standpoint that the

Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake controller was my best and easiest option. I purchased it from CruiserCustomizing.com and added the red lenses for less than $10. The whole setup was only $77.78 with shipping. And the best part is it only took about 20 min to install. I have included pictures and the part numbers.

KY-4710 Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake Controller - Metric Cruisers $59.49

KY-2267 Kuryakyn Red Replacement Turn Signal Lenses - Yamaha (pr) $9.34