IGNORED

Goldwing 1200

keyscruising

Only rode an older wing once and that was enough for those. Upright riding position with the seat too close to the floorboards making you feel like you're squatting the whole time. Also did not like my feet behind the valve covers, too much heat.

But, heck, what do I know??!!:confused24:

I rode a couple a long time ago...neither were mine...we just traded during a long ride.

I found BOTH of them seemed as if there was much less ground clearance than my 1st Gens do.

I scraped on corners that I thought were not very severe lean!

Like mentioned the Stator is the weak point on the GL1200. I rode the heck out of mine, and pulled a trailer all over with it also in Ark. Great bike, but remember it is over 22 years old and parts are HARD to come by now, and getting a little on the expensive side. A supply and demand thing, those that have the parts demand a good price for them, because of the unavailability. Had 84K on mine when I sold it and only thing I did was add seafoam now and then ( twice to three times a year ). As far as I know the valves were as sent out from factory, never checked em...

I rode my bike alot. picture here. 1984 Aspencade

put an SEI altonator on, and second battery. every markland toy on it.

53 red running lights on the back bags, runners on lower scoop, 3 runners down the front forks, 150 Halagen driving lights.

would always smoke when on the side stand. nature of the bike. sold mine with over 237,000 on it in 1991

I had an '83 Aspencade (1100 cc). Rode it for 6 years and sold it for more than I paid for it. Great bike. Had a clunking in the front when hitting a hard bump. Had to replace the complete rear end and the front wheel bearings. Other than that, it never failed. Even pulled a trailer with no problems.

I would really like to thank everyone for all their thoughts and ideas. You have all been a great help to me. I am going to look at the bike today and will post what happened. This site is really fantastic. I wish that there was one only half as good for the wings. I have done some web surfing and found nothing other than "social" sites. Seems like the only information talked about is where they are all going to meet for their next meal !! LOL

Thanks Again

John

Florida Keys:thumbsup2:

Like mentioned the Stator is the weak point on the GL1200. I rode the heck out of mine, and pulled a trailer all over with it also in Ark. Great bike, but remember it is over 22 years old and parts are HARD to come by now, and getting a little on the expensive side. A supply and demand thing, those that have the parts demand a good price for them, because of the unavailability. Had 84K on mine when I sold it and only thing I did was add seafoam now and then ( twice to three times a year ). As far as I know the valves were as sent out from factory, never checked em...

Is it a Limited with fuel injection. Also parts aren't really that hard to find if you look and know a few people. I also have an old goldwing (1978 1000)and really haven't had muvh trouble with parts. If you buy it and ever need help with parts let me know

My buudy bought one off CL. I told him to pass cause I thought it shifted sloppy. But he got it anyway paid too much I think at $1500.00. But after I took off the cheap Markland floorboards and got some air in the tires. It rode pretty good. He rode it twice I think and dont like the big bike thing. He has a sportster, which is nice. So he's selling this one. It needs tires I guess and the radio dont work. But it starts right up. Seems to run good. Valve taps a little. But with these motors you have to adjust them from time to time. So Ive heard...lol Let me know if anybodys interested. I'm thinking its a 1000 dollor bike?

Hi Guys

Went over the weekend and ended up with the 86. It has just had the stator and the battery replaced at the honda dealer. Have the receipts and confirmed the work with the dealer. Runs great. Put 200 miles on it so far. Everything works as advertised. I can see where the charging system is the weak link. I don't really think that it will be able to keep up with the battery if I add a couple of driving lights. I don't know how many amps that stator puts out but it can't be much. Anyone ever come up with an aftermarket fix?

John

Key Largo, Fl.

I remember that there was a company or person that had replacement stators that made the out put some what respectful. The stock out put is fairly good, but the connection is the killer, and was very weak. Sort of like the ignition connection under the tank of the RSV's. I redid the connectors ( under the Left side cover ) with heave duty sure lock type, and had zero problems with the charging circuit. Pulled a trailer, and had two 55 watt driving lights under the front of the faring.