IGNORED

I hate NYC

1BigDog

Having been born in Brooklyn in 1955 and leaving there in 1990 for Florida I thought maybe a nice visit back home would be nice. So, we took a plane up to NYC last week for 4 days vacation and our anniversary. Never again. While the food was still the best, you sure do pay for it. We also rented a car. The roads are just as lousy if not worse then I remember. Driving around was akin to being in a Mad Max movie and im not making this up. I must have had 10 close calls in those 4 days. Parking is abysimal. Double parking is rampant. You pay for parking through the nose. Maybe I have been gone from there too long but people are just plain rude. And some of the old neighborhoods are now looking like some other country. Flushing Queens now looks like any street in Hong Cong and I dont just mean the people. The stores all have the bright garish signs that you see in shots of Hong Cong. Jackson Heights reminds me of some third world area. Buildings are stuck just about anywhere with no thought given to its surroundings. My old hang-outs like Pizza City and the big Bow-Wow in Howard Beach are all gone. White Castle dont taste the same. Many cars now sport BumperBully's, a rubber drape that covers your rear bumper so the idiot parking behind you dont scratch your bumper when he hits it, and he will. Laguardia Airport looks like it should be condemned. Its filthy. Guess im used to clean places now. Jax and Baltimore airports are spotless.

Some good points: SouthWest airlines was first rate. Hotel was good. We stopped for lunch at Katz' Deli in lower Manhattan on Houston street. Paid 3 bucks to park for 1 hour and 15 bucks for a Pastrami on rye. But, this sandwich was the bomb. If you have never eaten a steamed pastrami or corned beef sandwich you dont know what your missing.Had some great Spumoni Ice Cream at Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn, TWICE!! (eat your heart out Tom!) Maspeth Pizza is still the best and Palermos Italian Pastries, well, you know:smile5:...3 boxes of italian pastries barely made it home in the luggage. The cannolis were totaled but with the help of a spoon, tasted great.

We spent some time with relatives and other then the above things all was well. I resorted to some of my old language while driving though. And to think that I drove a tractor trailer in this mess for 15 years. No wonder im nuts.....

Even Jean was glad we're back home as was the "kids". Next vacation will be someplace with a view, balcony, kitchenette and maybe an ocean for good measure. Florida Keys maybe or a mountain cabin in NC.

OK, ill go to bed now.....

---Having been born in Brooklyn in 1955 and leaving there in 1990 for Florida I thought maybe a nice visit back home would be nice.---

I was born in Canton (in the upstate country) NY in 1958. My mom was from up there, but my dad was from SC. So, we moved back to SC in 1961.

Went to NY City in 1987 and paid twenty six dollars to park in a street corner vacant lot for only three hours. The city was horribly noisy and trashy. People were blowing their horns constantly in traffic jams. I wondered where they thought they were going to go as traffic was at a standstill. I couldn't see the mentality in it.

Anyway, went back in 1998 (on a tour bus with my daughter's 8th grade class) and was very surprised. The city was a whole lot cleaner, seemed friendlier, and was much quieter. I noticed signs that said you would receive $300 fines for horn blowing.

I don't know if I'll return there again.

I'll just stay on I-81 and head back home to Canton where the folks are friendly (at least to relatives) and the air is cleaner. AND THE PARKING IS FREE!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

My husband is from Connecticut, left there in 2000, never once has said anything about desiring to go back, save this year when he decided he should introduce me to some classmates from HS. Also decided that due to travel costs we will be getting a bike (ie Venture) before daring the trip. I've asked him many times would he move back north if it meant better jobs and pay and he swears it's not worth the stress. So, sometime next year I will be seen on a bike somewhere between GA and CT.

Well you really have forgotten how much fun it was getting around NY. You got slower living down there in Florida. At least you got to eat, and see some family. Maybe some good websites would be better for ya, then you can order the food. :Laugh: An experience you won't soon forget I'd imagine. But like everything else it's what you're use to at the time that's why it seems so nuts up there. You use to be one of them nuts. :whistling:Now you're one of them Florida drivers we talk about. :rotf::rotf:Glad ya made it back in one piece.

Margaret

I'm originally from Los Angeles. When I left there in 1984 I didn't think I would be happy without 5 million of my closest friends around me. I have since seen 46 of 50 states and am very content with my town of one stop light, a convenience store and 1300 people. I don't mind visiting LA but when I do, I am even more thankful for where I live now. I love to visit NYC but am very happy to leave it (I don't ever drive in NYC - trains and subways!).

Ruffy,

Glad to have you back safe and sound. Never been to NY or NYC always wanted to go now I am not sure if I want to now . I hear it is supposed to be nice at Christmas time?

My wife, kid and I went to NYC a couple of years ago for a 3 day visit. We drove up, stayed at a motel over in Bergen(I think), NJ and took a shuttle bus into the city every morning and back every night. We walked, rode the subway and bus around the city and had a great visit without worrying about parking or driving. We want to go back soon for another few days. I love NYC....used to live in the Bronx way back when...before the Ft. Apache days.

Did a charter to NYC in 2000. Since we drove straight through from Mississippi we had to have two drivers. Randy drove in to Manhatten the first day. The kids stayed at a hotel there but we had to stay in Jersey because of parking. The next day was my turn to drive and I'm not afraid to say that I was scared. But actually other than being very conjected it was easier than driving in Atlanta. Contrary to popular belief the taxis were very couteous, and helpful. It was the private drivers that were a royal pain in the a$$. One lady tried to cut inside me when I was making a right turn. I was half in the intersection and had to stop to keep from hitting her. The cop walked over, had her pull up on the sidewalk so I could go, and proceeded to write her a ticket. To be honest I had a good time driving there. Spent four days there and after the first day Randy didn't want to drive anymore.

My wife, daughter and I went to NYC in 2004 on our way driving down the east coast. We spent two days in NYC, and stayed at the Marriott there on Times Square. Used the subway that trip---didn't drive. Had a good time. Bought an umbrella from a guy right outside the hotel. Figured it would fall apart in a day. I still have it in my truck today. Do I want to go back------eh maybe !!

I went to NYC a few years ago on a business trip. The company put up in the Mariott at times square. I could look out my window and see the big screen tv. The first thing we were told when we checked in is do not go outside by yourself. Three of us walked around on saturday and that was nice. We saw trump towers, went through central park and other sites. I had a hard time in central park. There was a big rock and two guys were sitting on top of the rock kissing and tongueing each other. It was so hard for me to walk by without saying anything but I didn't figure it would be good for a southern redneck like me to be in the NYC jail. Then we were walking down the street and there was a black guy in combat uniform speaking on a loud speaker. There were two big big dudes on each side of him with combat uniforms and leather wrist bands with spikes with their arms folder just looking mean. This guy would read a scripture from the bible and then say "All white people are lesbians and faggots and we are going to take our swords and cut off the heads of all white people and watch the blood run down the street into the sewer. I really had to bite my tongue but I just looked at the guy. He said what are looking at white man. I walked on by and didn't look at him. They should just burn NYC and be done with it.

I was born in Buffalo, and went to NYC once.. when I was about 5 or 6 with my folks. I ate at the Auto-mat and climbed up into the torch of the Statue of Liberty. Glad it was 65 years ago in the good ol' days. Now I just go to New York, New York in Vegas.... :)

I spent 4 months in Brooklyn Hts, while my Dad was in the hospital. I actually enjoyed the area, never felt unsafe, and I walked all over by myself. Lots of great little rest. nice little corner bars, and most of the people I met were very helpful. Dont think I would want to spend my life up there, but I did think it would be neat to spend a year or 2 there. Long Island College Hospital definetly sux, but thats a whole different story:bang head: Craig

• 2 years later...

I enjoy watching the people there, always take the train into the city. When its dark I'm outa there for sure, the stuff I see during the day scares me, at night I don't even want to be nowhere near the place. Watched a bag lady get a half cup of coffee from a trash barrel, then a paper from another, a half eaten sandwich from another, sat down drank her coffee, read the paper, and ate her sandwich right in the middle of grand central station on thanksgiving day one year. I will never forget that one.

Oh yea, can totally relate BUT I actually LOVE Manhatten (NYC)!

Both Tippy (the wife) I were born and raised in the sticks, we raised our 4 kids in the country - dogs, snowmobiles, dirtbikes, tree forts, fishin and hunting right out the back door (house bordered 5000 acres of state land).. My second born got accepted at Cornell Med School (68th and 1st Ave, culture shock big time for her) and we visited her a LOT while she was there.. I had sooooo much fun exploring the city - took for ever to get the hang of the subway system, LOVED the sidewalk hot dogs with saurkraut, snuck up onto the tops of a number of skyscrapers for some great views (could be really scarey places if I didnt have a building maintenance background), LOVED diggin around chinatown - couldnt believe some of their fish stores, deeply saddened by the post 9/11 scene, loved driving my little beat up Festiva all over the island - just follow the taxi drivers and drive it like ya stole it, LOVED battery park and the museums, people were paranoid, got a ticket for parking in a "no standing zone" - just parked there never did "stand".

My kid is now in Sacramento and misses NYC everyday, 2 of my bucket list goals are going back to NYC and dress up like a bag lady and live on the street for 3 days, and riding a moped all over the city (you can get away with a LOT on a moped there) - Tippy thinks I am nuts!!!!

I could live there if Donny would rent me a suite for 500 bucks a month in his tower,,, and tell his snippy bell hop to chill a little..:rotf:

Puc

I enjoy watching the people there, always take the train into the city. When its dark I'm outa there for sure, the stuff I see during the day scares me, at night I don't even want to be nowhere near the place. Watched a bag lady get a half cup of coffee from a trash barrel, then a paper from another, a half eaten sandwich from another, sat down drank her coffee, read the paper, and ate her sandwich right in the middle of grand central station on thanksgiving day one year. I will never forget that one.

Being born and raised there and being a bit younger than the majority of VR members, the city is a world of its own. the main "tourist" areas are cleaned up, which squeezes the rest of the city riff raff tightly together. Also, having driven a transit bus in Brooklyn and Manhattan, the roads and traffic are not missed one iota!!! I am taking my wife, a Floridian there this Christmas and am dreading the chaos involved. The Italian food is tops, the prices are the pits. Who needs cable and an Ipad? look outside your window or take a train ride and see a show of your choice( drama, comedy, documentary) each and every day. I do not "hate" it, because it does make you more alert, have a good work ethic, have a built in "BS" meter, and overall prepare you for the unexpected. It certainly is not for everyone. I do NOT like the entitled, harsh, bulling type of personal attitudes people have there. That...is what I hate. The crappy attitudes.

Being born and raised there and being a bit younger than the majority of VR members, the city is a world of its own. the main "tourist" areas are cleaned up, which squeezes the rest of the city riff raff tightly together. Also, having driven a transit bus in Brooklyn and Manhattan, the roads and traffic are not missed one iota!!! I am taking my wife, a Floridian there this Christmas and am dreading the chaos involved. The Italian food is tops, the prices are the pits. Who needs cable and an Ipad? look outside your window or take a train ride and see a show of your choice( drama, comedy, documentary) each and every day. I do not "hate" it, because it does make you more alert, have a good work ethic, have a built in "BS" meter, and overall prepare you for the unexpected. It certainly is not for everyone. I do NOT like the entitled, harsh, bulling type of personal attitudes people have there. That...is what I hate. The crappy attitudes.

But, Barry,,, you gotta admit, some really great folks came out of that chaos (mamma always taught me not to point fingers but sometimes in life it's appropriate) -- meeting and chatting with you was one of the highlights of our travels this year!!! There are bad attitudes and folks with lousy charectoristics all over but there are also lots of really really great people out there, I like sorting them out and getting to know the good ones..

Puc :backinmyday:

The rest of the state wishes NYC would secede from the state because we are tired of carrying the financial burden!! Never had much of a passion for the city...

well maybe the next hurricane they get will just wash it away into the ocean!:whistling:

:mytruck1:

I spent six years driving a tractor trailer to NYC and Long Island and STILL cannot figure out why anyone would want to live and work in that city. You spend half your life stuck in rush day traffic trying to get to work and the other half of your day getting home at night. Every place to live is rent controlled because no one can afford to live there. There is nothing there that will get me to go back. And as Bob and Ground Hugger said, they should let the city wash out into the ocean and relieve the "up-staters" from having to pay all the taxes to support NYC.

My :2cents:.

Jim

Visited Manhattan 1 time, thats all I need to see of it. It's unfortunate that it basically controls the whole state. I will never go back to NYC, there is nothing there that I need to see that I didn't see the 1 time I went. I'm with many of you, unreal expensive, major rude, and self absorbed. Other than that it's a great place

:stirthepot: