IGNORED

Trunk progress update

Well with a little help from Carbon one making the adapter plate we were able to get the trunk at least mounted to see what it looks like.

I think it will look pretty good after trunk is painted to match. and the backrest and armrest are redone in black also a good cleanup of the chrome and mounting bracket.

What do you all think??

The detachable backrest is straped to the back.

Joe star4772

If anyone needs anything done I highly recommand Larry Carbon one He is just amazing.

Attached Thumbnails

attachment.php?attachmentid=50815&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285793342 attachment.php?attachmentid=50816&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285793342 attachment.php?attachmentid=50817&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285793342 attachment.php?attachmentid=50818&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285793342 attachment.php?attachmentid=50819&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285793342

Joe,

Working with Larry is great, he's a master fabricator and I always enjoy seeing the results of his mind at work. I dont want this to sound harsh, so please dont take it that way, but that trunk doesn't really work for me. It's big and has a lot of storage, but has totally different lines than the RSTD. It sort of reminds me of the Givi trunks and I dont really care for them either.

Perhaps after it's in color it will blend a bit more, but I dont feel it right now. Again not trying to critisize and if your diggin it then thats all that matters :2cents:

Joe,

Working with Larry is great, he's a master fabricator and I always enjoy seeing the results of his mind at work. I dont want this to sound harsh, so please dont take it that way, but that trunk doesn't really work for me. It's big and has a lot of storage, but has totally different lines than the RSTD. It sort of reminds me of the Givi trunks and I dont really care for them either.

Perhaps after it's in color it will blend a bit more, but I dont feel it right now. Again not trying to critisize and if your diggin it then thats all that matters :2cents:

Gee thanks Brad just busted my bubble :bawling::bawling::bawling: I was only just kidding :rotf::rotf::rotf: that was about the same thought I kind of had,but I think once it is all painted and matched up it will look just fine. Thanks for your honest opinion though. Hope to see you guy's sometime in the near future.

Joe :buttkick:

Brad I tend to agree with you some on the trunk lines but I also believe that once the trunk is painted and leather work finished it'll all blend in well. Size is good.

A Harley trunk would of been about the only other option IMO, besides a Yamaha one of course. But those are as rare as hens teeth & expensive to boot when you do find one.

Larry

Well you know 2 know me and I'm not about to blow smoke

:whistling:

Sometimes you cant see the forest despite the trees, but I am looking forward to seeing it in color and that may be the night and day difference. I just appreciate out of the box thinking, even if it's not exactly what I would do myself. Trust me, I have had what I thought were great ideas only to turn into a hideous creation

:doh:

Besides, you and Larry got to work together on making it happen, I'm just envious of that

:) Looking forward to catching up with you again soon.

Well you know 2 know me and I'm not about to blow smoke

:whistling:

Sometimes you cant see the forest despite the trees, but I am looking forward to seeing it in color and that may be the night and day difference. I just appreciate out of the box thinking, even if it's not exactly what I would do myself. Trust me, I have had what I thought were great ideas only to turn into a hideous creation

:doh:

Besides, you and Larry got to work together on making it happen, I'm just envious of that

:) Looking forward to catching up with you again soon.

Know how it is, the old saying is try try again and if you don't succeed try again. Will be right when all done you'll see.

Joe

Where did you find the Venture trunk mount? That's harder to find than the trunk itself. With that you can mount just about any trunk. If the GW trunk doesn't do it for you in the end, craigslist is the place to find a tour pack. Just do google and enter the following

tour pack site:craigslist.org

Also search the variant tour pak On average about 500.00. I have also seen ones with the speakers and all lights and the quick disconnect hd rack go for that, but they go fast. Loaded ones are usually 650-700. Person also has to be willing to ship if not near you. What they get on ebay for them is nuts. A guy could make a living buying tour packs on craigslist and relisting them on ebay

I found a basic tour pack side lights only and backrest for 350 from a 1992 bike. Those packs are FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and a little heavier. Newer packs are ABS. Old tour packs (70's 80's) are FIberglass and heavy and prone to cracking.

I am still looking for an appropriate rack to weld to an extra backrest bracket I have to make mine quick disconnect. Although if I could find a venture mount I would use that since it puts the tour pack at the right height and less fabrication.

Good luck and keep posting update pics

RSTDdog

Where did you find the Venture trunk mount? That's harder to find than the trunk itself. With that you can mount just about any trunk. If the GW trunk doesn't do it for you in the end, craigslist is the place to find a tour pack. Just do google and enter the following

tour pack site:craigslist.org

Also search the variant tour pak On average about 500.00. I have also seen ones with the speakers and all lights and the quick disconnect hd rack go for that, but they go fast. Loaded ones are usually 650-700. Person also has to be willing to ship if not near you. What they get on ebay for them is nuts. A guy could make a living buying tour packs on craigslist and relisting them on ebay

I found a basic tour pack side lights only and backrest for 350 from a 1992 bike. Those packs are FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) and a little heavier. Newer packs are ABS. Old tour packs (70's 80's) are FIberglass and heavy and prone to cracking.

I am still looking for an appropriate rack to weld to an extra backrest bracket I have to make mine quick disconnect. Although if I could find a venture mount I would use that since it puts the tour pack at the right height and less fabrication.

Good luck and keep posting update pics

RSTDdog

I found the rack at pinwall cycle on E-bay when I got mine they had 2 or 3 of them left on E-bay. Check there there is a link to them on our home page.

Joe :fingers-crossed-emo

I found the rack at pinwall cycle on E-bay when I got mine they had 2 or 3 of them left on E-bay. Check there there is a link to them on our home page.

Joe :fingers-crossed-emo

Must have missed that. What are they getting for the mount typically at Pinwall? Nothing there now that I can see. Racks and Pillow tops seem to go fast.

RSTDdog

I think the trunk looks about the right size. Yes the lines are square, compared to the more rounded lines of the Yamaha, but I believe once it is painted black, you may not notice the as much and should blend in better

Good for you Joe, I am sure it will add some space for the road trips

Brad

I think the trunk looks about the right size. Yes the lines are square, compared to the more rounded lines of the Yamaha, but I believe once it is painted black, you may not notice the as much and should blend in better

Good for you Joe, I am sure it will add some space for the road trips

Brad

Thanks Brad it will be painted the 2 tone color of the bike it should blend in a lot better when done. :fingers-crossed-emo Joe

Star- Thanks for the price info on the Stock rack.

Solo-

The naturbar bracket places the trunk to high in my opinion. I prefer to keep the weight down as low as possible. I have a tour pack from an Ultra classic and am placing it at the same height relative to the rear seat as it is on the Ultra. This is also roughly the same height as the Venture trunk. I try to keep any mods as close to the stock design as possible to reduce any potential ill effects on handling. The rack on the rear of my bike now (pic) is almost perfect for height and placement, but its not stout enough, needs more support. The base of the naturebar bracket should be at or near the top of the pillion seat mount bolt by my estimation for more stock trunk height.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog
attached photo

Height of ours is about right in between. It's an older Ultra tour pack but close to the same size (I know its quite a bit bigger than an 82 wing trunk) With the pillowtop seats, the wife says it is just right. With the mustangs, she said it was a tad high. It could be lowered up to 2 inches by flipping the brackets over but, it fits her and has no negative effects on handling. The skirt around the bottom makes it look a little lower and covers a lot of the mounting brackets. Would be possible to make it quicker to detach by using thumb screws on the lower braces but that wasn't a concern for us as we wont ever take it off.