IGNORED

Accessory Power?

Hi,

What do we know about the amount of power available to power accessories on a stock '84 non Royale?

All otherwise being well, how much current can I draw with add on accessories without risking a no start situation at the next stop?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Hi,

What do we know about the amount of power available to power accessories on a stock '84 non Royale?

All otherwise being well, how much current can I draw with add on accessories without risking a no start situation at the next stop?

Thanks,

Brian H.

This will vary from bike to bike depending on the load on battery already.

To determine load you will need an amp meter capable of reading about 40 amps.

Start the bike. Do not start bike with amp meter hooked up. Having bike running includes TCI power draw.

Disconnect positive leads from battery, put positive lead from meter on positive post of battery. Hook negative lead from meter to all cables that were attached to positive battery terminal.

Disconnect the stator from the wiring harness. This eliminates charging to battery.

You should now be able to read on the meter the amount of current that is being pulled from battery. Reading should be a positive reading due to hook up of leads described above.

Turn on all accesories & lights to get a full current load for bike.

This reading would be subtracted from the rated output for the charging system for your bike. This number can be found in the service manual.

Gary

.......................the rated output for the charging system for your bike. This number can be found in the service manual.

Gary

You have read more into my question than I intended, sorry if I was not clear.

All I really need is to know is what's the margin between what a stock bike pulls and how much the charging system is capable of delivering. Surely such an illustrious and innovative group as this has a rule of thumb after 26 years.

IF I wasn't trapped in my cubicle hell, I'd be able to refer freely to my manual and do all sorts of useful measurements, but as it is I'm trapped here at work so you are my phone a 'friend lifeline', sorry.

Thanks,

Brian H.

You want a seat of the pants estimate......My driving lights each have a 55 Watt lamp in them, or when they're on it's an additional 110 watt load. If you want to know how much current they draw, it'd be about 8 amps. When I have them on, at idle my voltmeter dips down but as soon as I move it goes back to 14V. My 89 could tolerate some additional load, probably another 3-4 amps, or 40-60watts. This is when you are moving down the highway. When you are in town waiting at a stoplight with your foot on the brake, with no additional loads other than the bikes normal things, you're at best breaking even, but probably discharging the battery a bit. The alternator in my 83 was a little weaker but not much. I imagine it varies bike to bike depending on the stator and the condition of the magnet in the rotor.

Do you need more detail or is this what you wanted to know?

Frank

I would say, one set of Running lights, ( 35 watt bulbs )

Or, Electric Vest and chaps.

Or, 2 elect vests for driver and passenger.

The alternator puts out about 30 Amps.

If your running a lot of short trips, maby less, then keep a trickle charger hooked up.

If you install an AGM Dry Cell type battery, you can get bye with a larger current darw. ( for shorter parts of the ride )

If you are useing the electic heated clothing, its advisable to turn OFF, any running lights.

But if running a couple of hours after dark, with Vests, don't worry about it.

If you are haveing trouble, switch to an AGM Battery, and check out your charging voltage, make sure its up to spec's. ( at least 13.8 chargeing level )