IGNORED

Adding a USB

halfwitt

I want to put a USB port in the fairing of my '07. I will use it to power an iPhone. My question for any shade tree electricians is: Can I just run the USB straight to a power source? Do I need to regulate voltage going to the port? I don't care if I fry the USB port, I just don't want to fry my phone when I plug it in!

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips/warnings!

You can do like I did and buy a 12V plug in USB P/S at almost any auto parts store and either plug it into the 12V port or buy a usb panel mount feed through connector and wire it up inside the fairing.

Here is an example of the panel mount.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+panel+mount&oe=UTF-8&cid=9974967906243247161&ei=CGyPTJi7EYWwxQXIpaCgBA&sa=title&ved=0CFcQ8wIwBjgA#p

Edited by etcswjoe
Add link

the easy way

and one amp too!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Micro-Auto-Charger-5VOLT/dp/B002F0200Q/ref=pd_cp_e_3]Amazon.com: Belkin Micro USB Auto Charger 5VOLT 1A: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21aLOIt2nhL.@@AMEPARAM@@21aLOIt2nhL[/ame]

or this if you want really cheap and dont need the charging power of the other one

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Compact-Car-Socket-Power-Adapter/dp/B001HZI2ZC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1284470022&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Compact Car Socket 12V to USB 5V DC Power Adapter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NdfoG-pGL.@@AMEPARAM@@41NdfoG-pGL[/ame]

Edited by dray

I would use a little caution when adding a USB connector direct, as it is a 5 Volt device like most phones, and Ipods. Pouring 12 volts directly into the phone or Ipod will make a large mess, and in short order too. There is a voltage drop, and regulator in the plug in devices that prevents that.

I picked one up from a Clearance Sale from JP Cycle and installed it on my Radio Caddy Fairing. Comes with a rubber waterproof plug. Ran it to the battery with a fuse in line.

As long as you are using one made for a 12 volt power source it has the built in voltage regulation. DON'T try and wire up a USB extender cable. Not worth the trouble of discovering you fry everthing you plug in. Don't quote me but I think the standard USB port on a laptop puts out 5 volts to power devices. No clue which connection is the power.

Bruce T.

05 RSTD

Minnesota

I would use a little caution when adding a USB connector direct, as it is a 5 Volt device like most phones, and Ipods. Pouring 12 volts directly into the phone or Ipod will make a large mess, and in short order too. There is a voltage drop, and regulator in the plug in devices that prevents that.

if you are talking about the one i posted it drops the voltage to the proper 5 volt output with 12 volt in so your good to go:thumbsup:

Guest tx2sturgis

Why not just buy a standard car charger cord for the 12V lighter socket? You can buy these for about $12-15 most anywhere. Then you will have a spare that you can leave on the bike, and wont have to carry around the USB cord and move it from bike to car to computer or whatever.

Heck, this one even does BOTH:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ORIGINAL-AT-CHARGER-APPLE-IPHONE/dp/B002FK9JLO]Amazon.com: ORIGINAL OEM AT&T CAR CHARGER FOR APPLE IPHONE 3G 3GS: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31vUkxLJkOL.@@AMEPARAM@@31vUkxLJkOL[/ame]

Edited by tx2sturgis

if you are talking about the one i posted it drops the voltage to the proper 5 volt output with 12 volt in so your good to go:thumbsup:

Yes that one does, and works very well too. I was referring to the Original post by Halfwitt, about wireing direct,,,:

My question for any shade tree electricians is: Can I just run the USB straight to a power source? Do I need to regulate voltage going to the port? I don't care if I fry the USB port,

Why not just buy a standard car charger cord for the 12V lighter socket? You can buy these for about $12-15 most anywhere. Then you will have a spare that you can leave on the bike, and wont have to carry around the USB cord and move it from bike to car to computer or whatever.

Heck, this one even does BOTH:

Amazon.com: ORIGINAL OEM AT&T CAR CHARGER FOR APPLE IPHONE 3G 3GS: Electronics

My problem with that is that I have my XM running into the 12v outlet. I tried putting a splitter on there but that created two problems: 1) I can't turn completely to the left and 2) vibration would cause either the splitter or one of the two lines to fall out frequently. I don't have any issues if I run just one accessory to the plug. I ordered the USB mentioned by Dray. I'll use that for the iPhone and hardwire the XM inside the fairing. I still like the thought of a USB in the fairing and maybe in the Spring I will go with Joe's idea. But this will get me going for now.

:thumbsup:

Guest tx2sturgis
My problem with that is that I have my XM running into the 12v outlet. I tried putting a splitter on there but that created two problems: 1) I can't turn completely to the left and 2) vibration would cause either the splitter or one of the two lines to fall out frequently. I don't have any issues if I run just one accessory to the plug. I ordered the USB mentioned by Dray. I'll use that for the iPhone and hardwire the XM inside the fairing. I still like the thought of a USB in the fairing and maybe in the Spring I will go with Joe's idea. But this will get me going for now.

:thumbsup:

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I wasn't recommending a splitter for the 12v plug.

You mentioned hardwiring the XM...which is what I did. So, hardwire the XM...THEN use the car charger in the dashboard port, rather than the USB port adapter...OR do what I did, wire in a 12v power port into the trunk. That way the phone stays protected while its charging. Either way, it looks like you are planning to hardwire the XM....

WARNING: I don't have an RSV, I have an RSTD.

What I did was add two Powerlets to the side of my bike. Then I created a Powerlet to USB cable (using instructions here). My thinking is that Powerlets are designed to carry current, while cigarette outlets are meant to light cigarettes inside a weather protected vehicle. *shrug* So far, the USB cable has worked for about 10K miles this summer, in all weather, charging my phone, etc, inside the saddle bag.

In your case, perhaps you could consider using that DIY USB cable to add the USB to your fairing. Run it directly to your axillary fuse box under your seat, or fused to your battery if you don't have a fuse box yet. It comes with a bracket to attach it to a surface. Or, as shown in the DIY page, you could place it into a tank bag. I used a tank bag for the first time on my RSTD this last trip, and it was very convenient; I sometimes put my phone in there.

The USB wire I got was labeled NAPA and I have seen it in auto parts stores. It is labeled part number 782-6003.

Dave

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/4618824062_5867e11a69.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4025/4628469666_89dd7ef8d3.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4628469150_84462812c5.jpg

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I wasn't recommending a splitter for the 12v plug.

You mentioned hardwiring the XM...which is what I did. So, hardwire the XM...THEN use the car charger in the dashboard port, rather than the USB port adapter...OR do what I did, wire in a 12v power port into the trunk. That way the phone stays protected while its charging. Either way, it looks like you are planning to hardwire the XM....

Gotcha. I like the 12v in the trunk idea. I think my list of winter projects is beginning to grow.

OR do what I did, wire in a 12v power port into the trunk. [/QUOTE]

Tried to do the same thing for inside the trunk. Thought I could have it in the trunk, charge it up w/out having to worry about the elements. Also thought out of sight/out of mind for those would be burglars (if they want it they will get it anyway if kept in the bike) . I have a a battery tender connector hooked to the battery for when I want to hook up the tender. When not in use I bought a 2 prong wire and extended the wire so it will go up inside the trunk. Then I have a 12 V socket (same one just has 2 prongs instead of a wall plug) in which the cell phone charger hooks into.

Only problem I come up w/ is the light comes on the charger letting you know it is getting power, but it actually doesn't charge the phone. Oddly enough when I take out the extra 2 prong wire out of the equation, I can get the phone to charge via using the battery tender connection.

I have a 12v power port on the left side of the bike that does the same thing. It will light up the charger but won't charge the phone.

Guest tx2sturgis

Only problem I come up w/ is the light comes on the charger letting you know it is getting power, but it actually doesn't charge the phone. Oddly enough when I take out the extra 2 prong wire out of the equation, I can get the phone to charge via using the battery tender connection.

I have a 12v power port on the left side of the bike that does the same thing. It will light up the charger but won't charge the phone.

I suspect your specific charger is a bit picky about its input voltage...most chargers will work well when plugged into these ports.

On mine, I used a fused, inline, capped, receptacle, with about 12 inches of cord attached. That way, I can tuck it into the interior pockets in the trunk, or pull it out and charge a camera, phone, or power a small inverter in the saddlebag or on the seat of the bike when stationary. I have it wired to the battery so its hot all the time. Having this 'pigtail' also eliminates the problem of a charger getting accidentally disconnected from the socket when its mounted to the inside of the trunk, as things like jackets or bags of groceries knock against it.

By the way Dave, this is a true power port, not a cigarette lighter receptacle. It's somewhat weather resistant with the cap on, but inside the trunk, the cap is mainly to prevent small items like coins (do you smell smoke?!) from getting inside it.

Of course one big advantage to using this type of port is that its compatible with a huge array of mobile 12v items. I have plugged in spotlights, inverters, small 12v compressors, 12v airmattress pumps, camcorder chargers, and of course, other riders that needed a place to charge a cellphone with a car charger cord find it handy also!

Edited by tx2sturgis

*snipped*

By the way Dave, this is a true power port, not a cigarette lighter receptacle. It's somewhat weather resistant with the cap on, but inside the trunk, the cap is mainly to prevent small items like coins (do you smell smoke?!) from getting inside it.

Of course one big advantage to using this type of port is that its compatible with a huge array of mobile 12v items. I have plugged in spotlights, inverters, small 12v compressors, 12v airmattress pumps, camcorder chargers, and of course, other riders that needed a place to charge a cellphone with a car charger cord find it handy also!

I do value the idea of a cigarette adapter-sized power outlet. I have a 12" or 18" Powerlet to Cigarette adapter cable that I use for things like my air mattress pump.

But one of the things about RSTD's is that we don't have a nice weatherproof place like the trunk. The Powerlets are about half the size of the ciggie outlet, and are designed for positive connection, so I can run my wires out in the open without much fear. At least from wind; heavy rain still makes me disconnect for safeties sake.

I like your solution though.

Dave

Guest tx2sturgis
I do value the idea of a cigarette adapter-sized power outlet. I have a 12" or 18" Powerlet to Cigarette adapter cable that I use for things like my air mattress pump.

But one of the things about RSTD's is that we don't have a nice weatherproof place like the trunk. The Powerlets are about half the size of the ciggie outlet, and are designed for positive connection, so I can run my wires out in the open without much fear. At least from wind; heavy rain still makes me disconnect for safeties sake.

I like your solution though.

Dave

Thanks...I do too...

But I was providing ideas for helping the OP, "halfwit", to find a solution for his RSV. Not trying to get you to change your setup...

:happy34: