IGNORED

Kickstand relocation

Guest PlaneCrazy

Guest PlaneCrazy

I have a rather strange question for the forum... has anyone every relocated their kickstand to the right hand side?

The reason I ask is because I recently had an accident resulting in a broken ankle and a dislocated knee cap. It happened while I was trying to kick my leg over my saddle because I had a T-bag on my pillion and i couldn't swing my leg as usual. Anyhow, I am in for a long recovery (this year's riding season is done :( ) So I thought about relocating my kickstand so I could mount my bike from the right and not stress my weakened left leg.

I can't see any good reason why I couldn't do this. The only real reason most bikes lean left is because most bikes had their pipes on the right (not an issue with the RSV). It might give me some issues when i'm parking in a group of bikes, but that's a minor thing.

The hardest part of this I can see is modding or making a new swivel for the kickstand. I might be able to just flip it over - but I'd have to cut off and re-weld the tab that sticks out for you to operate it. And of course, I'd have to weld a reinforcing plate on that side and re-route the switch wiring.

Any advice?