IGNORED

Headed to Yellowstone

murph35640

Made it to Oklahoma City today, left Tunica Miss. at 5 this am and rode about 500 miles. Will try to make it to Sante Fe, New Mexico Tomorrow. Too dang hot to ride much more than we did today. Hope to be in Jackson Hole on Tuesday and then spend a few days in Yellowstone before heading for the Black Hills. Have had good luck so far, had to replace the new Venom tire that had less than 2500 miles on it but I noticed it was low about 10 minutes before we were to leave home so I guess that was still good luck, better than being on the road and having it go down. Now I have a new Dunlop 404 on the rear, at least until I get back home.

I envy you..we were going to go thru there on a long bike trip a few weeks ago..Back Problem so..There is next year! Have a ball. In a more positive note though we will be at the International Rally next year and get to see Yellowstone again.

Yellowstone is beautiful right now. Be prepared for cool (even cold) weather in the Rocky Mountains. Two years ago during this week, we road to the Black Hills Sturgis and we road through a snowstorm on the Big Horn Pass. Three years ago, we were in Yellowstone during mid September and road through snow. Beginning around mid-September, it can pretty much snow anywhere in these mountain states. Last week, we road through Banff and Jasper in Canada, and we had ten hours of continuous downpour during our ride. 500 miles of rain. Gimmie a break! Fortunately, we were prepared for everything, and the rest of our 5,000 mile ride was perfect.

Right now here in Orem, Utah it's 55 degrees at 8:30 PM. Tomorrow, it's supposed to be in the mid 70s. Best of luck for your ride!

Be Safe!

Pete.

We wont be to far behind you... we are leaving next week for the Grand Canyon then to Yellowstone, blackhills and then back home.

If anything happens where you need help, give me a call, phone number is in my profile.

We are caging it so if we can be of any help just ask..:thumbsup2:

Thanks Eck, It's good to know that someone is headed this way in case of trouble! I have to say that the bike is doing very well except for being way down on power since we started gaining altitude. The bike is loaded pretty heavy and the trailer is really loaded to the max. We are in Durango until tuesday morning, will be doing the train ride over to Silverton in the morning.

We were in yellowstone 2 weeks ago and encountered just about every type of weather. Sun, rain, snow and sleet. The south entrance was closed for about 6 hours because of snow. By mid morning it had reopened and we continued on to Jackson Hole.

If you are considering going to Thermopolis be aware that US 26/287 is under construction somewhere between Dubois and Riverton and is dirt/mud/rocks for about 6 miles. If it's been raining it's treacherous, many bikes went down the day before we went through.

Be careful around the Bison, they are in rut and can be unpredictable. If you get over the Beartooth be careful on 212 North of Red Lodge, the deer are as thick as flies.

Have a great time.

Thanks Eck, It's good to know that someone is headed this way in case of trouble! I have to say that the bike is doing very well except for being way down on power since we started gaining altitude. The bike is loaded pretty heavy and the trailer is really loaded to the max. We are in Durango until tuesday morning, will be doing the train ride over to Silverton in the morning.

Jason,

We are in my Silverado Pick up truck on this trip, so if you need to have something hauled back home, leave it some place and I will pick it up on my way through..

We plan to stay in Durango for about three days then head northward towards Fort Collins, then towards yellowstone..

You can find my cell number in my profile if you need anything..

Here is wishing you a safe journey my friend..

One other thing..

Make darn sure you dont leave your Credit card in your shirt pocket again......:stickpoke::rasberry:

Thanks Eck, I will try to leave her somewhere easy to find for you!!! JK!!! Hey Durango was a blast! We rode the train up to Silverton and really enjoyed it, lots of great scenery, weather has been great. Rode the million dollar hwy this morning and I would definately like to do that road again! We saw a large sheep about halfway between Durango and Silverton this morning and was able to get a couple of good pics! Stopped for the night in Grand Junction Colorado, Double Dee is not feeling well and needed a break. Plan to be on the road in the morning and hopefully in Jackson Hole by late afternoon. Dave, that is a really good idea! Do you have any idea how many Sonics there are between here and home? A bunch is all I can say!