IGNORED

Buckeye Stator Upgrade

petekadish

Okay, I decided that it's time to upgrade my stock Stator to something which offers better performance. From what I have read, Buckeye's seems to be the preferred upgrade unit to install. Many people who are much more knowledgeable than I am regarding electricity, etc. have told me that I am probably over-taxing my stock stator, and that it would be wise to install a higher-output Stator.

My question is . . . would it be reasonable to see if I can find a used Buckeye Stator to save a few bucks? Or, is this the type of thing which I shouldn't chance, and just purchase a brand new one? I want to make sure that this job is done right the first time.

I also want to be assured that when I buy a new Stator, that I will have a higher performing unit than the stock one I have been using, and that I will be happy with my purchase and the upgrade difference.

Thanks Guys & Be Safe!

Pete.

Get the new one, ---- Its a considerable amount of work, not worth risking haveing to do it twice.

Be sure to carefuly Inspect the Pins, inside the plug at the R/R Unit, for any sign of burn damage.

I know of at least one person who had to dissenble the plug to find the damage, and replace the pins.

Edited by GeorgeS

As others have mentioned, I too would suggest going with a new one. Regardless of the fact that I suspect that it will be QUITE difficult to find a used one.

Don't forget to replace the regulator/rectifier unit with the appropriate high-output one in addition to making the appropriate hard wired connections instead of using the connectors.

Don't forget to replace the regulator/rectifier unit with the appropriate high-output one in addition to making the appropriate hard wired connections instead of using the connectors.

Good advice, as the stock r/r only allows 26 amps output to be used. It's the only way to take advantage of the higher output. I'm STILL trying to find more of those Shindegen r/r's we had on the group buy this year to no avail.

Dano

Pete, go new - and Buckeye Performance seems to be the only reputable one making such a stator - not sure of any others. I would also recommend replacing the rectifier to their higher output rectifier - most anyone generally recommends replacing both at the same time.

Rick's Motorsport Electrics also has stators & Voltage regulators, as well as starters & other items, for Ventures. I have installed 2 in Cody Wy, last year & they seem to have a good rating with DennisKirk.com

I have also recently ordered, a Rick's motorsport stator, for a friend's 82 750 Nighthawk.

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/aboutus.php

Hi Pete

Glad to see you made it home safe from the big trip.Buy th stator new from RickH at Buckeye its money well spent.when you install it hard wire it in bypassing the plug.That will save you much trouble in the future.Those plugs almost always give trouble sooner or later.When you get the stator let me know and I'ii help you put it in.I have done several and its not to bad a job.

BTW when you coming down?

Paul D

Hi Paul!

Okay, I'm pretty sure that the general consensus is that I should go to Rick at Buckeye for a new one. Sounds good! I have done business with him before when I bought my extended, braided stainless cables.

Mechanically, I wouldn't even attempt something that major. I can change the oil and polish it up real nice, though that's about it. Now, if I had someone with me who knew what they were doing, I might consider it. Although it would probably be a case of me helping them. I figured that I would have to bring it in to the dealer, but it would be nice to save the high labor fees they charge. And, I'm sure that I could offer you something for your time and efforts if you're willing. I'll let you know when I get it.

Thanks!

Pete.

Pete, when you replace the stator with the Buckeye go ahead and replace the reg/rectifier too and check the rectifier plug for any signs of wear/burning. Those Molex plugs come apart. Mine had a burnt red wire in there which caused much havoc. I had my buckeye stator in now for a few years with no issues. Went through 2 rectifiers until we found the problem in the plug. Another item you should consider is an Argus Battery Bug for powersports. Reads voltage and displays your battery life percentage. Simple hook-up to the battery and your done. Cheap peace of mind.

Good Luck!:smile5:

Dan has been working on just locating a supplier for the Shindengen R/R from the last group buy. He's not having much luck. The last seller has not been responding to his e-mails.

I've been writing e-mails to about every possible source that I found to see if I can help locate a supplier for a group buy.....or even provide single units at a similar, reasonable price.

We're looking.

The Shindengen R/R we are looking for is the OEM issue for several bikes. The number Squeeze gave is the R/R listed on the Partshark site on the 2009 FJR1300. #1D7-81960-00-00 at $128.65. #19 on the break down.

I'm waiting to find out if there is a possiblity of buying a number of these.

And then we would have to go back to the other source for the connectors.

Thanks Squeeze. I would guess the link you just posted is for the 2009 V-Max.

However, in this instance ..., I have a lot of accessories which put quite a load on my system. Many people way more knowledgeable than me have recommended a better stator. It's not unusual for us to run two sets of heated jackets & gloves, driving lights, GPS, Satellite, a power amp in my trunk and some accessory LED lights. Some people have even told me that it shouldn't have been possible for me to have run all that stuff together over the past couple of years. Somehow, it always seemed to work out all right.

On our trip this last week, our battery died. Now granted, it's on a four year old bike with 45,000 miles, so I guess that it had a reasonable life span. But considering how incredibly inconvenient it was the 2-3 times it was when the battery went out during this trip before I had a chance to get a new one, I did give the stator issue a lot of thought and figured that it would probably be a good idea.

So, that's my thinking. Sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Pete.

Guest tx2sturgis
Everybody likes to add something that is bigger and better. ... Just getting a bigger one doesn't mean that that is what you need.

I'm not touching this one...!

:rotf:

However, in this instance ..., I have a lot of accessories which put quite a load on my system. Many people way more knowledgeable than me have recommended a better stator. It's not unusual for us to run two sets of heated jackets & gloves, driving lights, GPS, Satellite, a power amp in my trunk and some accessory LED lights. Some people have even told me that it shouldn't have been possible for me to have run all that stuff together over the past couple of years. Somehow, it always seemed to work out all right.

On our trip this last week, our battery died. Now granted, it's on a four year old bike with 45,000 miles, so I guess that it had a reasonable life span. But considering how incredibly inconvenient it was the 2-3 times it was when the battery went out during this trip before I had a chance to get a new one, I did give the stator issue a lot of thought and figured that it would probably be a good idea.

So, that's my thinking. Sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Pete.

Based on your reply I would say you definitely need a larger stator and regulator. I have installed several Rick's Electrical stators for friends who thought they needed them but really did not.

:farmer:

Thanks to everyone's great replies, I just ordered a new stator and a regulator-rectifier from Rick at Buckeye Performance.

Hopefully, sometime soon I will once again be able to impose on one of my friendships for some mechanical assistance with this installation. Paul ..., are you listening? I'm sure that we can work-out some sort of a deal.

Thanks again guys!

Pete.