IGNORED

First trip pulling a trailer

ragtop69gs

Just finished a 1250 mile trip over the Beartooth pass, through Yellowstone, down to Jackson Hole then through Wind River Canyon, over the Beartooth pass and back to Roberts, Montana. I hardly knew the trailer was behind the bike ! We encountered rain, wind, sleet and snow, never once did I feel uncomfortable about the trailer being behind me.

I did have several encounters with the wild life of the area. First we hit a groundhog that ran into our path on the way up Beartooth, BUMP, no chance to avoid it. Then 4 days later we hit a Deer that darted out of the bush on US 212 just north of Red Lodge! Buckled my front fender and the turn signal trim ring and visor are now the property of a Montana ditch. We were only going about 10 mph at impact so I was able to swerve and only hit it's rear hoof. Kept the bike up,but , I do have a head injury from the wife slapping the back of my helmet repeatedly, Lol . If it were not for the increased stopping distance caused by the additional weight of the trailer we would have missed it completely. Yes the deer is fine.

Can't wait for the next trip. :)

Sounds like a fabulous trip Jay. My wife and I made our first (much shorter - two day) trip hauling a trailer behind my 88VR last week. Like many others have said, I was surprised how well it tracked even in strong winds and I liked having less weight in the trunk and bags. In my case, the only thing I noticed other than slower braking was the reduced rigidity in my front end. I wonder if this is where Condor's stronger fork braces really pay off. Any comments from others?

It's been fun so far. Yesterday we went thru Spearfish, Deadwood and Sturgis, spent the night in Custer StatePark. Today we saw the Crazy Horse memorial, Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands and Wall Drug. Spending the night in Wall. Tomorrow we High Tail it for home. Almost 3 weeks on the road, I'm ready for a night in my own bed.

I wonder if this is where Condor's stronger fork braces really pay off. Any comments from others?

It really doesn't matter what you're pulling or haulin'. Anytime the forks work, the more they do so in unison the better off you'll be. In '09 at CodyI I took the '83 over the top of BearTooth Pass. It was a goat trail up on top with all the construction going on. The bike was as solid as a rock. Never once did I experience the grips being hard to hold onto from unexpected twisting....

If it's any consolation Evan, my front seems a little lighter when towing the camper. It was fine when we went to the International and I had the son on back. This last trip to PIP, no son with me and I noticed it was a little light in the front. I didnt lower the rear shock pressure from when I had the boy on back so maybe that was it.

Sometimes these things take a little trial and error to get that just right feeling for you.

I am running 50lbs in the rear and 2 in the front. Of course that won't mean anything to you with the first gen but at least it is a little easier to mess with the pressures.

Sounds like a fabulous trip Jay. My wife and I made our first (much shorter - two day) trip hauling a trailer behind my 88VR last week. Like many others have said, I was surprised how well it tracked even in strong winds and I liked having less weight in the trunk and bags. In my case, the only thing I noticed other than slower braking was the reduced rigidity in my front end. I wonder if this is where Condor's stronger fork braces really pay off. Any comments from others?

Evan--how much air pressure did you have in the front and rear shocks? Two up approxiamte weight,etc. Trailer weight/tongue weight will affect front end also. Preload setting also. I have an 86 and sence my wife and I are both alittle heaver now than 24 yrs ago when I first started pulling, I have had to put the preload on 3 and bump the rear shock up to 50-55 lbs with a heavy trailer (300-350 lbs). Front shock I leave around 10-12 lbs. You want the trailer tongue level or pointed down alittle with both of you on the bike. Its something you have to play with and learn from. With a lighter trailer, I can lower the rear shock pressure some. It all depends on how it feels going down the road. Thats one thing nice about the MKII, you can stop and adjust pressure untill it feels right.

Thanks BuckShot and others for these comments. I will play with my preload (which I left on 2) as well as shock pressure. This is another example of how great this site is for useful info and support. I love it!

Evan--how much air pressure did you have in the front and rear shocks? Two up approxiamte weight,etc. Trailer weight/tongue weight will affect front end also. Preload setting also. I have an 86 and sence my wife and I are both alittle heaver now than 24 yrs ago when I first started pulling, I have had to put the preload on 3 and bump the rear shock up to 50-55 lbs with a heavy trailer (300-350 lbs). Front shock I leave around 10-12 lbs. You want the trailer tongue level or pointed down alittle with both of you on the bike. Its something you have to play with and learn from. With a lighter trailer, I can lower the rear shock pressure some. It all depends on how it feels going down the road. Thats one thing nice about the MKII, you can stop and adjust pressure untill it feels right.

Thanks BuckShot and others for these comments. I will play with my preload (which I left on 2) as well as shock pressure. This is another example of how great this site is for useful info and support. I love it!

I should have mentioned that the stiffer fork brace will help also.

Just finished a 1250 mile trip over the Beartooth pass, through Yellowstone, down to Jackson Hole then through Wind River Canyon, over the Beartooth pass and back to Roberts, Montana. I hardly knew the trailer was behind the bike ! We encountered rain, wind, sleet and snow, never once did I feel uncomfortable about the trailer being behind me.

I did have several encounters with the wild life of the area. First we hit a groundhog that ran into our path on the way up Beartooth, BUMP, no chance to avoid it. Then 4 days later we hit a Deer that darted out of the bush on US 212 just north of Red Lodge! Buckled my front fender and the turn signal trim ring and visor are now the property of a Montana ditch. We were only going about 10 mph at impact so I was able to swerve and only hit it's rear hoof. Kept the bike up,but , I do have a head injury from the wife slapping the back of my helmet repeatedly, Lol . If it were not for the increased stopping distance caused by the additional weight of the trailer we would have missed it completely. Yes the deer is fine.

Can't wait for the next trip. :)

ill tell ya one thing if you keep hiting critters like that on every trip at least your going to be eating good :stickpoke:

ill tell ya one thing if you keep hiting critters like that on every trip at least your going to be eating good :stickpoke:

They both ran off :confused24: I had to rough it and eat at the Steak house. We were on the way to dinner when we hit the deer, it was an expensive meal, all told.

I sure hope I don't hunt any more critters with the scoot.:whistling: