IGNORED

Tail of the Dragon video

XV1100SE

I know a couple people that went thru it but it is hard to imagine that many curves in such a short span. Video isn't the same as doing it but gives a good idea I'm sure !

People from work have talked about riding down (one suggested trailering down the bikes just to ride it - not for me, would rather ride) but haven't been able to fit it in yet.

A loop from my house up to the Dragon, and back home via the Skyway is an all day trip for me and the Sportster. The guy in the video is pretty good, even if he did get into the oncoming lane a couple of times. (Not a good thing to do here, under any circumstances except to get out of the way of some fool!)

I try to do the Dragon once or twice a year, and have even taken my grand-daughter once. Very technical road, so you don't get much site-seeing done. The Skyway is much better for that.

:thumbsup:

I agree with Tinman. Skyway is better, but I like the BRP better than either.

I only live a few miles away from the Dragon, but I've only rode it twice on a bike. Once just for fun and another time because it just happened to be the route I was taking to get somewhere else.

The people who live around here called "The Dragon" for years, and then someone started calling it "Tail of the Dragon".

I watched a few seconds and then stopped, because it is just another crotch rocket jerk that thinks he is the perfect rider, and will live forever, and that any public road is his playground. HE WILL die a bad death some day, or worse, live to be a veggie and live off our taxes the rest of his days. And he will probably hurt or kill someone else in the same accident.

I hope the police stop him and put him away before this happens for his own and others good. I see people like this ride around my area, and they are all suicidal jerks.

Sorry about the soap box, but there is NO excuse for riding busy public roads that way,..... none. The guy needs to do some track days, and get off the highways.

I would love to drive/ride that road but because of the reputation and of people like that I am not anxious to do it on a bike. I would take a tank-like big car and when this guy comes around he will take out my fender (I can drive and ride very well, and won't be over the line when he comes into my lane) but I should survive.

Riding on an area road known for curves, a jerk in a small sports car almost took out my wife yesterday. Luckily I didn't see it or I might have tried to turn around and find the guy.

I take pride in driving and riding correctly, having fun, but staying safe and respecting other drivers/riders. I save the 10/10ths stuff for real race tracks.

It is in our back door we ride it a lot. Sightseeing is only for the passenger. If your going to ride it for the 1st time please go Mon-Thurs only in the early Am that is when it is the safest.

We took a local rider on it yesterday for her 1st time, she bought a Goldwing trike a year ago her 1st bike ever & she has put 17K on it in the last 12 months she loved it & did a great job. We also took her through hell bender, moonshiner 28 and a couple of really technical back roads to get to Hwy. 107 into Sylva for lunch then to the BRP all for her 1st time.....

She wants to know when we can take her on more Twisties.....

if you ever want a tour guide just give us a shout we would love to show you all around....

It is in our back door we ride it a lot. Sightseeing is only for the passenger. If your going to ride it for the 1st time please go Mon-Thurs only in the early Am that is when it is the safest.

We took a local rider on it yesterday for her 1st time, she bought a Goldwing trike a year ago her 1st bike ever & she has put 17K on it in the last 12 months she loved it & did a great job. We also took her through hell bender, moonshiner 28 and a couple of really technical back roads to get to Hwy. 107 into Sylva for lunch then to the BRP all for her 1st time.....

She wants to know when we can take her on more Twisties.....

if you ever want a tour guide just give us a shout we would love to show you all around....

I was down your way today and rode the Devil's Triangle, Highway 116. For tight twisties and 45mph, this is a better ride than Deal's Gap. There is no way you could run anywhere near 45mph on most of this road. I went clockwise from Oliver Springs and then on up to Lake City. This was a great ride.

RandyA

The wife and I spent a long weekend riding our V-Star in the area back in June.

Luckily, we didn't run into anyone riding the Dragon in the same manner as in the video.

Here's a video we made while riding it. My wife held the camera over my shoulder so there's a lot of wind noise, but you get an idea of what the road is like when ridden at a reasonable speed. http://www.childersfamily.net/video/dragon.wmv

We've since upgraded our bike to an 07 Midnight Venture. Looking forward to going back and riding it again.

I was down your way today and rode the Devil's Triangle, Highway 116. For tight twisties and 45mph, this is a better ride than Deal's Gap. There is no way you could run anywhere near 45mph on most of this road. I went clockwise from Oliver Springs and then on up to Lake City. This was a great ride.

RandyA

You should have got in touch with us, you were 5 minutes from our house....

We need to schedule a "Snake" trip with you.....

To do all of the Triangle you have to go out to Petros....

Are you going to go to Rome?

RandyA

rode it a couple of times and your right , puts the tail to shame if curves are what you want. rode it sunday 5th on way home from deals gap.

It was on short notice and we did not know for sure which direction we were going. I did go thru Petros as I stopped at a store before I got to the park at the begining of 116 and some guy there was telling me about The Devil's Triangle. I ended up going that way and staying on it to Lake City rather than going back to Oliver Springs. We had been down at Oak Ridge to the museum.

I would be glad to give you a tour of The Snake, which is also known as Shady Valley and I believe you can google it for more information.

Where is Rome at?

RandyA

Here are some videos of this area.

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/450836]The Snake - Shady Valley to Mountain City on Vimeo[/ame]

Edited by Venturous Randy

Hey Stroker Ace

I'm gonna be up that way OCt 3 for 3 days or so perhaps we can get together for a ride if you are off during the week. I tried to arrange to avoid the weekend so I could enjoy my ride around the area. I will be Arriving Sunday 3rd evening in Robbinsville then riding the area thru wednesday. I hope to be able to gets some one to ride along with who can show me what "not to miss"etc. If you or someone in the area can ride it would be great.

I am going to have a video camera attached and running when I can so maybe I'll get some good pics to share.

:smile11:

Hey Stroker Ace

I'm gonna be up that way OCt 3 for 3 days or so perhaps we can get together for a ride if you are off during the week. I tried to arrange to avoid the weekend so I could enjoy my ride around the area. I will be Arriving Sunday 3rd evening in Robbinsville then riding the area thru wednesday. I hope to be able to gets some one to ride along with who can show me what "not to miss"etc. If you or someone in the area can ride it would be great.

I am going to have a video camera attached and running when I can so maybe I'll get some good pics to share.

:smile11:

Hey jburrell , Would be glad to show you around providing I have any vacation time left then. We plan on being at Bristol Drag way that weekend for Pinks all out. Hope the weather holds out. later stroker

Doing the Dragon mid week during the day there are very few people.. It was fun but I probably won't go back..

Actually on the to Canaan Valley WV from my sister's place in VA, I did a road that had turns just as sharp, just as often, and had more elevation change and steeper banks than the dragon, just wasn't quite as long. Instead of 318 turns in 11 miles it was more like 180 in 6 miles.

but going through one slow 2nd gear turn I realized there was no way to stop if something happened. A car may have been able to stop, but on a bike you wouldn't have been able to reach the ground before the bike, even a small bike, was too far over to hold up. It was like watching the BMX guys in the X-games, without forward momentum you would just fall off the road.