IGNORED

New Tires - Grip, Handling, Brands and Wear

rumboogy

OK...I got rid of my Dunlop 404 tires (front and back). The ride home (appeared) to be MUCH different with the Dunlop Elite 3's on the bike.

The bike (appeared) to handle much better. The bike (appeared) to have much more grip. AND The bike (appeared) to have NO "squirrely" shifting around when going over bumps, lines and tar snakes.

So what is REALLY going on here? Why the "percieved" change? What causes it?

I realized just by changing the tires that the grip should improve, but the handling to the degree I am seeing it kind of amazes me.

Are SOME OF THIS PERCEIVED changes psychological (placebo effect)?

What is everyone's opinion on this...

Wally

Just be careful for the 1st 100 miles or so!!! Get 'em scuffed up before throwing them into any serious twisties!!!!!

New tires always ride better... :big-grin-emoticon:

The Continental I put on the RSV sure seems to grip better, stopping, than the 404 I took off.

OK...I got rid of my Dunlop 404 tires (front and back). The ride home (appeared) to be MUCH different with the Dunlop Elite 3's on the bike.

The bike (appeared) to handle much better. The bike (appeared) to have much more grip. AND The bike (appeared) to have NO "squirrely" shifting around when going over bumps, lines and tar snakes.

I realized just by changing the tires that the grip should improve, but the handling to the degree I am seeing it kind of amazes me.

Wally

i put the e3s on my 87 late last year and have 5000 miles on them and i love the handling, grip in wet weather and like you said tar snakes no longer a problem and they still look new. i had e2s on before and could still tell a differance in the e3s handling. best tires for the money and wear that i have found and will be buying again when i wear these out.:2cents:

You are not hallucinating..its the tires..Avons do the same thing but I run E3S also on my wing. Have a ball on them,I just came back from town pulling my trailer loaded to the hilt and 40 MPH curves at 75 sticking like glue! Feeling better today,been down in back but a good ride has helped.

I had heard there was a great difference in the handling when you swap to the E3 or Avon. I pulled a set of 404's off at 5425 miles and replaced both of them with a new set of E3's...what they said was right...big difference in handling even at low speed.

I still have the front and on the second rear tire with a little over 22000 miles on the bike.

The only thing I do not like about the E3's...the rear will start feathering on the sides causing it to be noisy (like a ground grip) when you get the bike off center...

But the last a long time, hold up good, handle good, and do great in wett conditions for me.

I would like to try the Avon...but seems they are having some cracking problems right now. E3's are usually cheaper than the Avon.

Maybe one day...

Wally

It is real and you will love it. I bought my RSV used and it had Avons on it which made me happy (Or so I thought) since people on here talk great about them. Well my bike wouldn't corner. People asked me how the bike was in curves and such and I told them my old 78 wing would out do this bike by leaps and bounds in curves. When I rode with the Goldwings they would run off and leave me in the curves and I mean out of sight because mine would not corner. I decided to go with the Elite 3's and man what a difference. The bike now handles like it should. Yes the tires are noisy but I will deal with that.