IGNORED

Feel like a new bike!

a1bummer

Well I finally got some solid motor mounts, a "CondorBrace", and a new Metzler all put on. I also repacked the swing arm bearings, cleaned all the bushings and installed zerks in the rear suspension. I also bought a chin cowl from Alabamacameo and got it installed today after I wrapped the front header pipes with header wrap to help cut radiant heat. I also took out the Y.I.C.S. and I have no more popping or coughing going on. Then I got my carb synchronizer from the guy in the big brown truck, so I synced the carbs this evening. Hopefully I'll have some new to me pipes late this week or early next week.

This thing feels like a whole new bike! Much better handling. The solid mounts didn't seem to add any sort of vibrations. It even sounds a bit quieter with the headers wrapped.

This winter I'll be putting the original engine back in so it will be getting some new gears to avoid the second gear issue. I'll also be adding a higher output stator and a spin on oil filter adapter. I'll have to make sure the valves are adjusted good while its out as well.

About the only thing I can think of that's left on my to do list is to make a header style collector similar to the ones made by Markspipes. Unless of course one pops up for a reasonable price either on eBay, Craigslist, or on here.

Now I just have to find the time to give it a good/quick wash before the big ride in Durand, WI. this Saturday. The 12 hour night shift really doesn't help give a bunch of extra time on my hands.

Well here a few pics of the chin cowl that I got from Alabamacameo installed. It's a bit different than the ones I've seen on all the other 1st gens. I think it looks a bit sportier.

Thanks, Bill

My 85 has the solid motormounts and the condorbrace on, and I couldnt beleive the difference in handling these mods made.

I thought the solid motormounts would telegraph vibration thru the frame but these engines are so smooth i bareley noticed any change in vibration, but it sure firmed up the frame.

I love the spin on oil filter too, it makes an oil change about 10 minutes. (mine just uses any filter that will fit a PT cruiser)

The next time you pull the motor out mabbe look at putting in the ss brake lines, it will shorten your brake distance by at least a 3rd and at least youre not relying on a 25 yr old rubber line to stop you in an emergency stop.

Enjoy the ride!

Brian