IGNORED

Venture Royale vs. Kawasaki Voyager XII

Debron

This question has probably been asked but I couldn't find anything searching the forum.

I'm considering buying a Venture Royale or Kawasaki Voyager XII. I realize where the prejudices lie in this forum, but I would be interested in your thoughts and opinions on the two bikes.

Note: If I buy the Venture, I will become a subscribing member!

Thanks for you input!

Both bikes are good and you won't make a mistake with either one.

True the RSV hasn't been updated in a generation (okay, 11 years), but it is bullet proof.

When I did my test riding I did the technical comparison but also decided by the seat of my pants. Tried the Harley, Gold Wing, RSV... and seating position, handle bar position, even the foot boards were more comfortable on the RSV for me. Its got to be what you are most comfortable riding, what you feel confident with. LOL - and yes... your riding partner has to agree too !

This question has probably been asked but I couldn't find anything searching the forum.

I'm considering buying a Venture Royale or Kawasaki Voyager XII. I realize where the prejudices lie in this forum, but I would be interested in your thoughts and opinions on the two bikes.

Note: If I buy the Venture, I will become a subscribing member!

Thanks for you input!

Why if you buy the bike?? Our "Ambassador" rides a Cow a saki Voyager

At least one member currently has a Voyager XII and I know others have as well. Lowell aka The Ambassador decided to get rid of his 1st gen Venture and keep his Voyager because it has a lower center of gravity and was easier for him to handle, if I recall what he had to say about it.

I've got both an 83 royale and a 96 cow both are great bikes,they both will get up and go the cow is geared real low in 1st and is very well balanced and isn't top heavy like the venture.If I had to give one up it would be a hard decision.If I were you I'd get both of them if I could.

I was asking myself the same question so bought 1986 back issues of Cycle World and Cycle Guide from E-bay with comparison tests of the Venture MkII to other tourers of the day (GW, Voyager, Cavalcade, HD FLH, and some others) to see what folks said when these relics were new.

Cycle World was predominantly Gold Wing with Yamaha coming in a close 2nd to the reviewers. There was no #3. I found this puzzling since they had big problems with the Gold Wing's air suspension and had to continually stop to air it up.

Cycle Guide rated Yamaha's "Highway Hotrod" as they called it #1 and GW a close second. High marks for power and riding position. Nothing but the BMW K100 could come close to keeping up with the Yamaha in straight line acceleration. Nothing but the Yamaha could come close to the BMW in the twisties.

Their comments on the Kawi were it was nice with a lot of features while not as well sorted out package as some of the others. But a bargain at the price for the time.

Since you can do anything you want to a 20+ year old bike you can make either into what you want. Buought right for the condition and you can't go wrong with either.

Ok are you asking bout the new voyager or the older one? I will say I do like the looks of the new one alot!! i dont think it has the room of the venture but it is updated! From what I have read about it it has plenty of power and it follows the ultra alot on stuff. I think I read some were that they have redone the 2010 already alittle to make it not as hot for the riders. Both bikes will give you great service just ride both and see what you like.

As far as I know the Kaw is a good bike. The only things I have heard negative are in maint. (I have a friend with a Vulcan that stays in the shop) and the room. The Kaw is a little cramped compared to the RSV. If you're a large person or tall you may find the Kaw a little small feeling but if not then that may not matter. The RSV is much more comfortable for the passenger (re my wife. We test rode) but it does have a higher center of gravity. I have no issues with low speed handling but then I get plenty of practice with the PGR. Some have noted that the RSV is unruly at low speeds so that's something to consider if you have had issues in that past with other bikes. Each bike has it's pros and cons so I would test ride both if you can. I chose the RSV because it was the right bike for me but you need to check them both out.

Either way you are welcome here.

I should emphasize that I am looking at the VR, not the RSV, that is, a first generation, mark II - 1987-1993 - vs. a Kawasaki Voyager XII, the 1200 from the 1987-2003 era, not the new Vulcan Voyager. The RSV is a totally different bike from the VR, and the Voyager XII is totally different from the current Vulcan Voyager.

One of my concerns about buying a first gen Venture Royale is that they went out of production in 1993, 17 years ago. I know the engines are generally good for 200,000 miles or more but there are a zillion other parts on a motorcycle. I'm concerned about the availability of replacement parts and accessories. What is your experience?

I am sure it applies to either The Venture Royale or the Voyager XII. But there are a lot of resources out there and the World Wide Web has made it easy to find the things you need. Craigslist, Ebay, Venture riders forum and just a few of those resources.

As for the Kawasaki Voyager I personally can get you any part you need, Chrome, alternators, CB, engines, ignitors, any body part you may need( may not color match but for what I charge you can have it paint matched and still be ahead of OEM you name it. Right now I have a nice selection of accessories. If you do go Voyager avoid the 86 model year and if you find an 87 remove the false tank and look for the ignitor. You want the number 1248. The 86 did not have cruise or passenger speakers. Kawasaki Still has Voyager Parts available new but no accessories.

I have a 1986 VR and my wife has a 1988 Voyager. They are both great bikes but I still prefer my VR. There is a noticable diference in power, she has a little trouble keeping up while accelerating, and this is not redlining or over doing it. The VR handles curves much better once rolling, it is almost like a sport bike. The VR does have a higher center of gravity and has a much heavier feel while stopped. The Voyager seems more steady while ridding 2 up, at least to me. The Voyager has a much easier to use center stand. They both get close to the same gas mileage. In my opinion. you can't go wrong with either bike.

Don

...They both get close to the same gas mileage...

Don

This is interesting. From what I've found on this forum and talking to a few owners, 38 mpg seems to be the standard gas mileage for a VR, though with some tweaking and modifications some people seem to be able to get 42. Most everyone with a Voyager claims 45-50 mpg, at least while traveling under 70 mph. This has been one of the factors influencing me towards the Voyager

Debron,

Realistic on a Voyager is 45-47, there are many that boast they get so much better gas mileage that others. remember the speedo cable drives the odometer as well so if you are off 10% on your miles per hour it also affects the odometer thus affecting your mpg calculation. I can tell you that the VR does curve or Corner better, as for keeping up that is all about the rider. I put progressive suspension front and back on my Voyager and you talk about a different bike as far as corners,curves and turns.

This is interesting. From what I've found on this forum and talking to a few owners, 38 mpg seems to be the standard gas mileage for a VR, though with some tweaking and modifications some people seem to be able to get 42. Most everyone with a Voyager claims 45-50 mpg, at least while traveling under 70 mph. This has been one of the factors influencing me towards the Voyager

On my 86Vr I get an average of 43 mpg. This is riding on hills, mountains and twisties. I ride on secondary roads no interstates. I prefer scenic routes.

Don

Debron,

Realistic on a Voyager is 45-47, there are many that boast they get so much better gas mileage that others. remember the speedo cable drives the odometer as well so if you are off 10% on your miles per hour it also affects the odometer thus affecting your mpg calculation.

Isn't this also true of the Venture? It's my understanding that the 10% speedo error is, by design, across the board with the metrics.

Debron,

I put progressive suspension front and back on my Voyager and you talk about a different bike as far as corners,curves and turns.

I take it this means your Voyager is now a super bike through the curves, or at least as good as the VR?

Let me say I have never ridden the VR, I have ridden several voyagers, the air suspension is good but The progressive suspension gave me more confidence and I felt my bike handled much better in the curves and the corners than when it had the Standard air suspension.

I will say this and I am sure I will be scolded, but The Kawasaki Voyager XII is the best bang for your buck in tourbiking. Parts are readily available both new and used the only component I have ever had go out on a voyager was an alternator and it took 15 minutes to change, the center stand is very easy to use, oil changes take 15 minutes and can be done with the bike on the center stand, Final drive same way. It is the only tourbike to my knowledge that has a passenger seat the moves front to back like a seat in a car for rider adjustment and has a trunk that moves forwad and back to give the passenger more room.

I have a buddy that has a 2003 with 26,000 that includes a piggybacker trailer for $7000.. Very nice bike well maintained.

I put progressive suspension front and back on my Voyager and you talk about a different bike as far as corners,curves and turns.

I had this experience on my current ride, a Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 by changing tires. I replaced the stock Dunlops with Metzler ME880's and it was like adding power steering to the bike! I can ride through the curves without even thinking about it at higher speeds and greater lean angles, with no effort!