IGNORED

Saddlebag Side Rails (Again)

I know this issue has come up on more than one occassion, but I'm still confused. I have gone through two sets of saddlebag side rails (heavy rust). Looking at the ones on the Yamaha web site, I think I might have bought some sort of knock-off rails in the past. On both of my sets, and the photos I've seen on this forum and elsewhere, the two horizontal rails appear to be the same diameter. In the Yamaha web site photo, the top rail seems to be considerably thinner than the bottom one. Also, on the web site photo, the point where the two horizontal rails meet seems to be much closer to the front. On mine, that point seems to be several inches further back than theirs. Finally, when looking at them from behind, the vertical part where the upper rail comes down and meets the lower rail seems to be different. On mine, that short vertical portion is close to the inside of the bike, causing the curvature to rub against the bottom of the rear turn signals. In the Yamaha photo, it appears that the vertical portion of the top rail comes down in to the middle of the rear portion of the lower rail. I think this would allow for some space between the rear turn signal and the curvature, so the two would not touch. I guess my question is this... Are there knock-offs out there being sold as genuine Yamaha saddlebag side rails, or did Yamaha change the design at some point, leaving the photo of the old style on the website? I contacted the local dealer about this, but of course, they didn't know. I want to make sure that if I order another set, I don't end up with same result; rusted, unusable rails. Anyone out there know?

Mine came from the Yamaha dealer when I bought the bike(s). They came in a Yamaha box. The rails are the same size. They almost touched the turn signals before I bent 'em to fit better. There's enough room to put the red reflector on in front of where the curved part meets the part that bolts onto the crash bar. The ones online are not them.

I checked both the '05 and '06 accessory catalogs. Mine are not like the ones shown with the part info, but they are like the ones in all the photos of the Venture in the catalog. I've never actually seen any like the ones shown online or in the catalog (except for the bike photos).

I went to another local Yamaha dealer today, and they had a set in stock. They opened the box and let me look at them. They are exactly the same as the two sets that have already rusted through on my bike. They even had the Yamaha logo and part number on the box, but they are absolutely not the same as the photo on the web site or in the catalog. The parts guy said he has worked there since the dealership opened in the 1980's, and even owned an RSV himself at one time. He said he had the rails on his bike. He also said he has NEVER seen the ones on the site or in the book. All the ones he has seen (and me, too), look like the two sets I already have. He wasn't sure if Yamaha changed the rails, or if they in fact, never made the ones they published in their pictures.

I guess my next question is why do mine keep rusting through? I don't exactly spot clean my bike, but it's not neglected either. None of the other chrome parts have rusted like these rails have. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I use Meguiers NXT wax. I say wax, but it is a silicone polymer that bonds to the metal to keep out the impurities that can cause the parts to degrade. I have an American flag on my house and the pole to the flag rusted really bad. The next one I purchased,I decided to use some of the wax on it.6 months later, it still doesn't have any rust on it. I use it on the whole bike,including the windshield. It beads water like Rain X but does not hurt the shield. It makes the paint so slick, it looks wet, and helps hide any hairline scratches. It makes the bugs easier to get off of the front of the bike too.I use it about twice a month on the whole bike,and all my chrome looks as good as new. Oh, I have about $4,000 in accessories on my bike and worked really hard and saved to be able to have it the way that it is now.I want them to last. Not to mention that most all the accessories have been discontinued and are no longer being made. Meguiers NXT is available at most auto parts stores and Wal-Mart.It is usually between $15 to $16. A bottle will last a pretty good while,a little goes a long way. It's also easy to put on and easy to get off.

Guest tx2sturgis
I want to make sure that if I order another set, I don't end up with same result; rusted, unusable rails. Anyone out there know?

The set I got said 'Made In USA' on the box. I assume from that label that Yamaha contracts with a vendor in America to make those rails. As such, they may have made changes to the materials, or the chroming process that render them more subject to rusting then the possibly higher quality parts sourced from other vendors.

Thinking a bit outside the box...I wonder if your environment or storage habits are accelerating the rust problem. My saddlebag rails are as you describe, and I've never had a rust problem. But I live in an area where its pretty dry most of the time, and when it does rain on the bike, I always let it air dry outside if possible in the shade before storing it indoors or putting a cover on it.

If you are using a cover, are you putting it on when the bike is still warm from a ride? Thats one way to hasten the rusting on any bike. Do you live near water? Or where it rains alot?

If a cover traps water or humidity along the rails where the nylon cover touches the rails, and the heat rising off the mufflers, its a recipe for rust.

Edited by tx2sturgis

A lot of companies use photo's of preproduction or prototype parts in their ads. They don't want to start production and then take photo's of the item since they would have a warehouse full of items and no advertising so no one would be able to see what the item looks like. So they get an early prototype that may be exactly like the finished item or close enough for the photo and publish it that way when the item is available to purchase people will have seen in on the web or in a catalog and be ready to purchase the item. That is what soulds like has happened in this case. The prototype must have had a larger top rail and a few other slight differences but close enough that Yamaha felt no one would notice and published the photo's.

Now there are after market rails out there. I have two Ventures. One has the Yamaha rails and one has aftermarket rails from Ebay. The Yamaha rails are better quality (chrome, bolts, etc...) but also cost more. BOTH when bolted down rub against the rear turn signal. I put the rails in a vise and twisted them a little at a time until they were level.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to see what it would cost to have them re-chromed locally, and then cover them with something like Hotrod described. Also, tx2sturgis, I thought of the things you mentioned (dampness, cover, warm bike, etc.), and while all of those are potential contributors to the rust, that doesn't explain why only the saddlebag side rails have rusted. I have ALOT of extra chrome on the bike (most of it was on it when I bought the bike used in 2007, it's a 2000 RSV), and the rails are the only things that have rusted.

BTW, if anyone wants the other set, I'll send them to you if you cover the shipping. I will warn you though, they are VERY rusted, but they are not damaged or bent in any way. I can send pics if anyone is interested. Thanks.