We would like to find a larger trunk for our '84 Venture. Our weekend away showed us we need more room. I know I saw the answer here but I can not find it. Does a trunk fom a 1985 fit onto the bracket on a 1984? The '85 is larger isn't it? If I go with an '86 and newer, I know I would need the mounting bracket, does the newer one bolt right up or are there mods needed?

Thanks,

Dave

The 85 was a one year only beast, with the bigger trunk and still having the clamshell side bags. It has a different mounting bracket under the trunk and they are scarce. You may be able to make an 85 and up trunk fit by bolting a piece of metal or wood down to your bracket and then bolt the bigger trunk to that plate.

You will gain a ton of space by changing the side bags also, our pre 86 bags that open out really dont have a ton of space in them.

Brian

I have been trying to do the same thing. I finally found a good 85 trunk with the mounting bracket (which bolts right in) but am having trouble with color matching it to my Blonde

I've also toyed with the idea of an 87 trunk. Much bigger job but already the right color.

If someone has a gold 87 trunk for sale I'd be VERY interested... :-)

Most of the time we can get away with existing space if a day trip. Now we find if we are going away overnight we pull a trailer.

I see that yours is the blue. I'm pretty sure they made that color in the MkII. You would need the mounting hardware and possibly do some modifications.

Wayne

Edited by Wizard765

The '85 trunk would be the simplest, but hardest to find. The '86 and up's need the subframe replaced, and when you do that the saddle bags may not mount?? There have been a few industrious individuals that have swapped out all of the 1200 for the 1300 luggage, but it is labor intensive.

Those side bags and the trunk size/shape on the '84 Venture were part of the reason they were FAST! If I were to go back to a !st gen. I would prefer the MKI. Plus I liked the "remove and tote" feature of the MKI luggage. I'd use what is there and enjoy the looks and function of the original equipment. My $.02.