I have had 3 1986's and 1 1987 VR's and have always run the 20/w50 Castrol GTX motor oil in them for a combined mileage of over 350,000 miles and counting. I have never had a motor fail, and my current 87'VR has the VMAX top end on it and I red line it regularly. with no ill affects. (except it makes my legs shake!):rotf:

I put 23,000+ miles on my bike last year, 20,000+ miles the year before that, not quite so lucky this year. (Medical Reasons)

I've heard good things about the Rotella as well. I have always been a Dino guy.

(It's been quite a few years since I have owned a brand new car) One other thing I do regularly is keep the shifter lubed and adjusted properly. (if hard shifting is one of the symptoms you are having)

Earl

Ran 20-50 dino oil in their older motor (79,000 plus) on a first gen. If you have what were the results?

The weather is freakin hot down here, I don't think the 10-40 syn is cutting it.

WHo told you to run 10w40 ???? Damn, run a 20w50 or 15w50. The manual says 20w40. But you cannot find that stuff easily. The w50 mean it handles the hot weather temps better. I believe there is a 15w40 around for truckers. But seriously I would only use that in cooler temps.

WHo told you to run 10w40 ???? Damn, run a 20w50 or 15w50. The manual says 20w40. But you cannot find that stuff easily. The w50 mean it handles the hot weather temps better. I believe there is a 15w40 around for truckers. But seriously I would only use that in cooler temps.

The Rotella T 15-40 will work in the bike fine. Useing syn. I would defenetley go with a 20w50. Been running Golden Sprectro sence the first 1000 mile service. There are alot of other very good sny oils out there.

Skydoc 17 ,

How long do your clutches last?

That's not meant to be a smart ass question, but, I have always been told to run nothing but Yamaha lube in my bikes because the clutch is emmersed in the same oil as the engine case and as we all know they are two different formulated oils when in seperate cases.

I have run nothing but Castrol GTX in my cars for years with excellent results but have been afraid to put in my bike because of the clutch and wine-ing problems associated with this bike.

I've had my 88 VR for two years now, with 20,000 miles of my own.

I run 10W40 Castrol motorcycle-specific oil. It works just fine, no clutch problems, no transmission problems, no engine problems, no noises -- nothing but good performance mile after mile.

Just got back from a 900-mile ride, most of which in very warm weather, and the oil level was exactly as it had been when I left home.

Yes, you may use 10W40 in a VR engine with no negative consequences. I ran it on my air-cooled Suzuki GS1100GK for the nine years I had it. No negative consequences either. If the engine is sound, 10W40 is just fine. Being thinner than 20W50, it should flow more easily on cold startups.

Nick Diaz

Middletown, MD

I ran a 20/50 Yamalube at the dealer's recommendation early this spring... engine was fine, but I did notice that the shifting was ever so slightly noiser/clunkier.

Was I super concerned ? NO.

Did I change back to the 10/40 regular dino Kendall GT motor oil I had been using when I needed it ? YES.

Shifts are that 15% quieter now (by my scientific calibrated ears/toes), engine is really no worse for wear, even on the hot days. Never had a problem in the 25,000 km that I have ridden in the 2 years of ownership.

So for a recommendation ? TRY IT... see what your own results are. I highly doubt there would be any damage at all, and for you, there could be an improvement. For me, for the riding I do, I noticed a slight increase in shift noise... that is it.

:Venture:

Thanks, what Im getting from the Syn oil is more clutch whine, and a little bit of surge on the bike when I put it in gear when its hot.

The temp in town has gone up since I put the synthetic in it also.

I will try the 20-50 and see what I get, but Im going back to dino oil, I don't like the synthetic.

I have had 3 1986's and 1 1987 VR's and have always run the 20/w50 Castrol GTX motor oil in them for a combined mileage of over 350,000 miles and counting. I have never had a motor fail, and my current 87'VR has the VMAX top end
Are we talking regular automtive oil or motorcycle specific oil :think:

If you are using dino oil, then use 20w50. There are many studies that prove in our engines...due to the tranny design. That 20w50 gets cut down to 20w40 in the 1st 800 miles. The next 800 miles it is then 20w30 and so on... While many synthetics get cut down at less than half that rate. Amsoil and Mobil1 to name a few. I use Mobil1 20w50 in both my bikes. Both shift buttery smooth. Also if a motorcycle synthetic makes your clutch slip. Then your clutch was on it's way out anyway. Don't blame the oil. Clutches in the Ventures are good for about 50-60k before serious slippage shows up. 1st signs are 4th and 5th gear power roll ons from 70 or so and when you hit 4500 or 5000(torque peak)...the tach goes up but you don't move as expected. Again , don't blame the oil. Now, if you bought a low mileage 1st gen recently. Maybe that owner was not a touring person and just rode short hops. That will wear the clutch faster than a touring rider. FYI-Some synthetics are crap...a lot of hype and nothing to back up their claims. There are 2 oils out there with a "color" in their name. These were noted in tests a few years ago as simply crap.

Edited by jasonm.