IGNORED

New MB, Win7 and problems

I'm in a pickle.

Got a new motherboard with one PS2 port and a bunch of USB ports. Also have a mouse and a keyboard with PS2 connectors. Do the math, pick the mouse or pick the keyboard, only one can be connected at a time. Boot up with either one and it works. The keyboard is needed to key in my login password, Unfortunately the driver setup that came with the MB does not seem to recognize keyboard tabs or arrows so I can't install the drivers that would --- hopefully --- allow the USB ports to work. Yes, I got a USB to PS2 adapter but neither mouse nor keyboard works when connected to a USB port.

The Win7 Control Panel does not appear very helpful compared to the one in Win2K. Haven't found a way to see the status of any devices yet. Boot up and plug in the mouse USB and the computer says installing device drivers, as expected, but the install fails for reasons unknown to me.

Anyone got any experience with this confounded contraption who could offer any advice?

The MB does have USB Legacy support in the BIOS which was set to auto by default. I changed it to enabled then reinstalled Win7 but there was no difference. I guess there is a chance the PS2/USB adapter could be faulty since neither device works when attached to it. There could also be an issue with the USB host controller but since I can't figure out how to get the info from Device Manager I can't do anything about it.

Thanks for the input guys.

By the way, this site works by tabbing :big-grin-emoticon:

but its a lot of work to get to anything. :crying:

I'd connect keyboard to ps/2 port, and get a regular usb mouse, doing away with the adapter.
That was kinda my though too. Except I opted to keep the PS2 mouse, TrackMan Marble actually, and returned the PS2/USB adapter plus $8 for a USB keyboard. All is working as it should with Win7. Now I just have to see how much data I can retrieve from my old Win2K install.

Thanks much for the ideas.