IGNORED

Some new thoughts on clutch basket whine

I'm not sure how many remember or were members when my '07 RSV suddenly had the whine issue but I'll recap in case it helps any of you or someone wants to give it a try.

My RSV never did really have a whine but it had a very small amount of "George Jetson" chirp that Motorkote seemed to take care of. One day I got on the interstate and as I got up to speed my first thought was that an ambulance with it's siren on was trying to pass. But it wasn't a siren... it was my RSV whining so loud that I immediately got off the interstate and drove slowly back home. When I finished working on it it was a quiet as ever. All I did was clean and lube the rear drive pins and one more thing that isn't usually done... align the rear axle by shimming the diff to left swingarm connection. Another member had his RSV in to a dealer and the tech had done this and I had wanted to try it. There is a bulletin HERE on how to align the rear axle but at the point where it's aligned but before you tighten the 4 acorn nuts I measured the gap and made a shim. Otherwise, when you tighten the nuts it pulls the entire wheel/diff assembly to the left and puts it in a bind. Mine had almost a .040" gap.

I can't say for sure the shimming fixed or helped the noise but it was all gone when I was done. May be worth the effort for someone else to try.

:happy34:

heh ... I sold my RSMV (that whined) and bought a Wing (that whines). :doh: :crying:

Difference is tho ... the whine is most noticeable when it's idling and even more so when it's cold. As the engine heats up the whine diminishes and as you get rolling, it diminishes more to the point you can't hear it so .... I'm OK with that :big-grin-emoticon:

I could be full of it, but I vaguely remember reading something about the 1st gen RSV clutch basket from a specific year or two that could be used in lieu of the clutch baskets in the Second Gen RSV...but don't quote me....I have gray hair and I'm old. :backinmyday:

That said, if I recall, the difference was in the gear tooth design???? And, supposedly, it did reduce the whine substantially? I think the gear teeth on the 2nd gen are straight cut, and the 1st gen had crowned teeth????

And, yes, Yamaha knows all about it. Bet they even know tape players are old technology!

At least the 2012 Venture will ensure that we have spare parts for a very long time for our older ones.

I've been told that Yamaha has solved the whine problem. Newer models have no whine issues or at least that's what my dealer has told me. It may be all smoke and mirrors but, I know neither my Wife's or Mine has any whine or chirp. I'm not sure how far back that supposedly goes?? Maybe we can get our group to sound off, to see if He's right? Anyone have a whine problem on a newer model?

I would think yamaha knew the problem and had answers but it was cheaper to let the customers whine along with there bikes.

No solution, just some thoughts.

Why some bikes have no whine or chirp is a mystery? My 05 rstd was bad, changing baskets didn't help. Masked the problem by installing a stereo system. Had it for almost 5 yrs and over 90,000 kms.

We now have two 09 rstd's, bought them out of the crate in 2010. No whine or chirp, and now approching 40,000 kms. Our riding partners, 08 Venture and 0? rstd don't appear to have the problem either?

Those are pretty good odd's. So, what's different or changed? Maybe we're just lucky or it could be its our age. :grandpa:

Those are pretty good odd's. So, what's different or changed? Maybe we're just lucky or it could be its our age.

Personally speaking, and from all I've read about this, it is my opinion that those bikes that don't whine just "happen to have" a gear set that matches good. From what I understand, these gears (the primary gear and the clutch basket gear) are not machined as a matching set and are not necessarilly machined by the same company so, you get 2 different machinists working from specifications and tolerances to produce a product that is not "matched" to the other product. Now I'm no machinist so I don't know the technical words but to me, "matched" means they have been checked for proper "lashing" together by a quality control process. Since they most likely haven't gone through that process, then it becomes a "hit or miss" situation, thus explaining why some whine and others don't and also explaining why changing out the basket cures some and not others. I've heard of folks who have changed out the basket several times and still not cured the whine whereas some others were successful on the first changeout.

So, since my 2nd Gen Venture chirps at zero MPH as I let the clutch out, doesn't that mean my Jetson Chirp is NOT related to Gear-Mesh?

The Jetson Chirp is RPM related, even as I let the clutch out, thus all in the Clutch Basket I'd think?

Your Thoughts??

Jeff

:detective:

Funny story about the famous RSV "whine"....I was recently at a Yamaha dealer meeting in Cypress CA (my company does some retail financing for Yamaha sport boats and PWC), and one of the execs from Japan attending the meeting (there were about 30 of them over visiting) was on the motor sports design and technical team. Very nice young Japanese man in his mid to late 30's, but spoke no English (this was his 1st visit to the U.S.). At one of the social functions, a group of us were talking and he and some of his contingent joined us for a short bit, and I asked him (through his interpreter) about the chronic whine that most 2nd Gen Venture owners experience, and the gymnastics we all go through to deal with it.

His response was "what whine?" :rotf:

He claims no knowledge of any unusual whine or chirping from the clutch assembly or rear drive gear assembly. I invited him to visit me here in GA for a demo of said anomaly, to which he said in perfect Japanese - - "so solly, not going to Georgia, onry visit Carifornia". End of conversation. Back to the bar.

I could have bet some serious cash before hand that this would be the answer. Nobody from Yami will ever acknowledge that they have had a fundamental design flaw in their clutch gearing or rear gear assembly for the last 13 years that creates this very unique noise. And since no real change to the RSV has been made in that time, they certainly haven't taken it seriously enough to want to spend any $$$ on anything new. OEM's squeeze every penny out of existing design and manufacturing processes they can until market demand forces a change. The big bike cruiser market just isn't their priority, so there's your answer. Until there is a complete Venture overhaul (V-Max, EFI, 6-speed tranny, etc.), we're going to have more whiny RSV's on the road.

Personally, I deal with it with a little Motorkote from time to time, crank up my stereo system through my headsets, and keep very clean 20W50 synth oil in the crankcase all the time with a dash of Seafoam once in awhile. To be honest, it really doesn't bother me anymore. I will ride this bike till it finally croaks, and then I might consider a Kawi Voyager or a Victory.

So, since my 2nd Gen Venture chirps at zero MPH as I let the clutch out, doesn't that mean my Jetson Chirp is NOT related to Gear-Mesh?

The Jetson Chirp is RPM related, even as I let the clutch out, thus all in the Clutch Basket I'd think?

Your Thoughts??

Jeff

:detective:

my thoughts initially are confused over what you're saying.

The clutch basket gears mesh with the primary drive gear off the crank. If you're holding the clutch IN, there's no forces on those gears but when you let the clutch OUT, there are because you are now turning the tranny gears. Not a lot of force mind you but probably enough.

Was I confused?

Not sure. Even though the bike tries to move forward as I slowly release the clutch handle, I'm still sitting sitting there at Zero MPH, the Gears aren't turning. There is a load on the gears, but they are not rotating. My Chirp is clearly there as I start to release the clutch with brake on.

P.S. I just changed my 5W-40 Rotella T6 Synthetic, and opted for the Castrol 20W-50 Synthetic V-Twin Oil. I thought the heavier Viscosity Oil would mask the Chirp to some extent. Sadly, the Chirp is way Louder on the Castrol. Gonna change back to Rotella 5W-40 tonight.

Thanks!

Jeff

Any recommendations for a Yamaha dealer in the Des Moines Iowa area familiar with the infamous WHINE?

I'll be there in a couple of weeks and have had no luck getting a Canadian dealer to agree to warranty work since my bike was purchased in the U.S. and imported into Canada.

• 9 years later...
On 8/14/2010 at 3:01 AM, davecb said:

I had my clutch basket changed... Great improvement. But, the whine does get louder when I am getting close to needing an oil change. Usually after 3000 miles. Has anyone else noticed this???????

I have a 92 venture I have the same problem 3000 RPM she chirps very loud pull in the clutch it stops it’s not coming from my windshield stay below 3000 RPM or go over 3000 RPM it goes away you may hear a slight bit below 3000 rpm nothing that would bother anybody or even noticeable but I notice a little bit, try different oil change the oil no difference first gear slams in sometimes all the time smooth as glass