IGNORED

Some new thoughts on clutch basket whine

davecb, I had to take a last minute to Fort Polk LA for a few days. I will be back on Thursday and get to the dealer ASAP. The intend of my post was only to share my experience. That experience being after all the reading I have done here I would have bet serious money on the notion that my bike had a chirp, not a whine, and therefore was a clutch issue. A whine being a rear end issue. So I was rather skeptical when the dealer expressed their belief that the chirp was coming from my rear drive. Then I was proved wrong by the fact that they fixed it by doing something to the rear drive and now the chirp is completely gone. I'm sure many people have had chirp issues that were the clutch. My chirp sounded just like the Jettson's car, but it was a rear drive and not a clutch problem.

Regards,

Nico

davecb, I had to take a last minute to Fort Polk LA for a few days. I will be back on Thursday and get to the dealer ASAP. The intend of my post was only to share my experience. That experience being after all the reading I have done here I would have bet serious money on the notion that my bike had a chirp, not a whine, and therefore was a clutch issue. A whine being a rear end issue. So I was rather skeptical when the dealer expressed their belief that the chirp was coming from my rear drive. Then I was proved wrong by the fact that they fixed it by doing something to the rear drive and now the chirp is completely gone. I'm sure many people have had chirp issues that were the clutch. My chirp sounded just like the Jettson's car, but it was a rear drive and not a clutch problem.

Regards,

Nico

Interested myself as I have the exact same Jettson's car sound.

Did yours come and go depending on RPM? Mine, depending on what gear I'm in, lasts for about 10 mph. 25 to 35 in 2nd, 35 to 45 in 3rd etc..

After all of this discussion - and it's all be good - here's what I've deduced:

~ The "whine" is a clutch gear design issue, and will vary in loudness and intensity based on a variety of factors, including overall wear and tear, heat, oil viscosity and the speed/RPM/gear you are in at any given point in time. Some "whines" are more noticeable than others, and even with a clutch basket change out, the "whine" has been known to return over time and use. Conclusion - it' there, and it's likely not going away completely with any corrective action. There is no known absolute fix or cure that's worked for most RSV owners on this board. Experimentation continues, including masking the sound, redirecting the sound (windshield adjustment?), alteration of the actual gearing, etc.

~ The "chirp" may be related to the clutch basket "whine" noise, but may also be related to the performance and condition of the final drive. There are reports that the "chirp" has been totally eliminated with repairs or modifications to the final drive. The "chirp" seems to be less of a reported problem than the "whine" in most RSV's, but is still an issue for some owners.

As I do not have a "chirp" sound coming from my '99 RSV, but I do have a "whine", I will continue to monitor how folks are dealing with this issue. I can honestly say that I've lessened the "whine" coming from my '99 RSV with a change to a 20W50 full synthetic oil (Mobile 1) from the factory recommended Yamalube semi-synthetic, along with adding 6 oz. of Motorkote at every other oil change. So I'm inclined to think that I've done about all I can to rectify this situation. I may also try some experimenting with the windshield theory to see if any changes there will re-direct the sound away from me even more.

Finally, there's my ultimate cure - - 97.1 FM (classic rock!) at 18 on the volume dial.

:fingers-crossed-emo

I have found the cure .... I am selling my RSMV and buying a Wing. It will go into the classifieds towards the end of Sept as we have our holiday trip to take on it yet... unless I can find a great deal on a Wing / trade-in before Sept 4th LOL

Frankly, I/we will miss this beautiful bike but looks aren't everything that's important anymore ....

I think I've nailed it down. This week, I'm taking a Vstar 1300T for a test ride. Assuming all the numbers work, I will be trading in my TD - after 4 years, NO MORE WHINING!!!

It's truly a shame that with such a luxury bike, we have to put up with all this s--t. Personally, I've had enough - time to move on.

Cheers

Eugene

No more whining? Maybe not... My bro-in-law visited with his VStar 1300 and his bike whined more than my RSV. And forget trying to do a friction-zone turn with that jerky clutch. Granted, his may be the exception but it's the only one I've ridden.

Let us know how your test ride turns out. I'm sure others would like to know, too. :happy34:

gibvel - Mine would not start until 40 exactly (according to my GPS) it would stay until 43-45 depending on ambient temperature. Then would return at 58 mph and continually get louder with speed (the fastest I ever went was 80 and it was screaming loud). The majority of my driving was highway at 65 or so. That put me right in the "whine curve" for the majority of my riding to-from work.

Guest tx2sturgis

Speaking of which, has anyone ridden the new Cross Country from Victory???

Yep....lovely bike, that one. I rode the one with the trunk and I think its gonna cost me.

This particular model had the shorty windshield... but I assume a taller shield is available.

Nice ride, plenty of torque. Good handling, mostly quiet drivetrain. Precise steering input. Good clutch action. Handled myself and my passenger as if we were 200 pounds lighter. Perfect throttle feel and brake feedback.

Nice big analog gauges, digital gear indicator, and even a digital air temp gauge. Nice touch. I noticed the gear indicator seems to be computer controlled, computing the road speed vs the rpm and then displaying the gear, after a brief moment of calculations.

Plenty of torque...the motor loafs along at about 2200 rpm at around 70 in 6th if I remember right. Drop a gear and the thing moves out with authority.

Nice, sturdy, roomy trunk. Not huge, but roomy enough for daily needs. Cool looking highway bars. Fit and finish seemed spot-on, although I didnt inspect every nook and cranny of the bike. Comfy saddle, at least for the 20 minutes I was on it. Nice roomy saddlebags, way bigger than the wimpy little bags on the Vision. No passenger grabrails tho....whats up with that?

Overall, I was impressed. Dont ride one unless your wallet can stand it!

Yep....lovely bike, that one. I rode the one with the trunk and I think its gonna cost me.

This particular model had the shorty windshield... but I assume a taller shield is available.

Nice ride, plenty of torque. Good handling, mostly quiet drivetrain. Precise steering input. Good clutch action. Handled myself and my passenger as if we were 200 pounds lighter. Perfect throttle feel and brake feedback.

Nice big analog gauges, digital gear indicator, and even a digital air temp gauge. Nice touch. I noticed the gear indicator seems to be computer controlled, computing the road speed vs the rpm and then displaying the gear, after a brief moment of calculations.

Plenty of torque...the motor loafs along at about 2200 rpm at around 70 in 6th if I remember right. Drop a gear and the thing moves out with authority.

Nice, sturdy, roomy trunk. Not huge, but roomy enough for daily needs. Cool looking highway bars. Fit and finish seemed spot-on, although I didnt inspect every nook and cranny of the bike. Comfy saddle, at least for the 20 minutes I was on it. Nice roomy saddlebags, way bigger than the wimpy little bags on the Vision. No passenger grabrails tho....whats up with that?

Overall, I was impressed. Dont ride one unless your wallet can stand it!

gawdddd !! ... now ya got me droolin'

Guest tx2sturgis
gawdddd !! ... now ya got me droolin'

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/victory/2011-victory-lineup-reviews-89872.html

Scroll down to the pic of the two-tone white and silver Cross Country with the trunk...thats the exact bike I rode. Its the best motorcycle I think I've ever ridden...period.

I notice that the brief review on Motorcycle.com says the Cross Country has a frame mounted fairing. Nope. Its forkmounted. But the steering seemed very neutral and precise, as if the fairing WAS hanging on the frame.

Edited by tx2sturgis
added content

I really like the new Cross Country. Thanks for the review info.

One thing I noticed in what Victory has done relates to the "whine" issue they had. Here's what they said:

"But more importantly, Victory has alleviated the annoying whine from the previous tranny’s spur-type gears by employing new helical-cut gears. These reduce noise dramatically, a significant 6 to 10 dBA, depending on which gear is chosen, now allowing Victory’s touring models to meet Euro noise regs. The quieter gears (including a primary-drive gear-tooth geometry tweak) have a nice side benefit of letting engineers hog out the size of the exhaust’s outlet tips to emit a more satisfying rumble from the tailpipe."

So if Victory can address this issue, I wonder why Yamaha never has? Interesting......

Guest tx2sturgis

So if Victory can address this issue, I wonder why Yamaha never has? Interesting......

Just a guess here, but the Venture's motor and transmission is an old design, that may not have a real positive future. Why retool and redesign with such a limited market? Victory, on the other hand, has a bright future with its bikes...or so it seems to me. They have the vision ( no pun intended) to put bikes on the market that people WANT to own and ride.

Just a guess here, but the Venture's motor and transmission is an old design, that may not have a real positive future. Why retool and redesign with such a limited market? Victory, on the other hand, has a bright future with its bikes...or so it seems to me. They have the vision ( no pun intended) to put bikes on the market that people WANT to own and ride.

Now if they just weren't butt ugly.

:Laugh:

Guest tx2sturgis
Now if they just weren't butt ugly.

:Laugh:

You call these ugly?

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/252638-2/BJN26584.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/252683-2/BJN88990.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

I finally made it to the race shop and........still no joy, he can't (or won't) do it either. But, the guy that owns the shop thinks cutting the groove may help too.

I'll start looking for small machine shops again, now. I'm also working on a fixture to hold everything so that I can grind this groove myself.

It's not over yet.....on the other hand, I just changed the oil to T6 Rotella and it seems to be a little quieter. :bang head:

As ugly as those Vic's are, they're starting to grow on me. Especially if they are guiet.

Guest tx2sturgis
For Me they are not my cup of tea to ride. Way to far out in the future. Nothing wrong with that but Just not for me.

Enjoy:whistling:

Now I can understand that...we all have our preferences...but I dont really think they can be called 'ugly'....and the Cross Roads bike is only slightly more modern looking than a Road King. The Cross Country, to me, just looks 'currrent'. I mean, this IS the year Two Thousand and Ten.

Now I can understand that...we all have our preferences...but I dont really think they can be called 'ugly'....and the Cross Roads bike is only slightly more modern looking than a Road King. The Cross Country, to me, just looks 'currrent'. I mean, this IS the year Two Thousand and Ten.

With the Cross Country, there is a slight comparison to the Vision in the styling...albeit "slight". It does look more modern coz if you look at what other manufacturers, even Yamaha, are doing as well as the aftermarket suppliers, the styling of the Cross Country is right "in there". The only part of it that, to me, looks a bit "off" is the large crash bars. Having said that, it is one thing that gives it it's unique styling and is something I could easilly live with.

I've looked them over very closely in the showroom, sat on them, had Nina sit behind me, tilted it this way and that.... that part alone impressed me. I like it. The Vision on the other hand, nope, don't like it but yanno what?? ... Victory is IMHO setting a trend ... they are doing today what Chrysler did with the mini-van and the K-car, mark my words.

Oh, and if you haven't seen their diamond cut job on (not sure of the model) fins, go take a close look.... it is very impressive, not to mention their awesome paint schemes!

You call these ugly?

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/252638-2/BJN26584.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/252683-2/BJN88990.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

Top one Yup!! Not quite as ugly as the Vision though.

And what's with the OMG Engine guards/crash bars?

Guest tx2sturgis
Top one Yup!! Not quite as ugly as the Vision though.

And what's with the OMG Engine guards/crash bars?

Hmmm....well ok. You should see one 'in person' tho...because the photos make those guards look bigger then they seem when your actually sitting on the bike.

Take a look at these photos...from the front they arent as visible. At any rate, I assume they can be changed to tubular bars like they mount on the Cross Roads.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/victory-motorcycles/2011/touring/cross-country/pages/photos.aspx

I notice that some of those pics show the passenger grabrails installed, (blue bike), and other pics (white bike), show the bike without them. Maybe they haven't settled on a final configuration.

Edited by tx2sturgis

I finally made it to the race shop and........still no joy, he can't (or won't) do it either. But, the guy that owns the shop thinks cutting the groove may help too.

I'll start looking for small machine shops again, now. I'm also working on a fixture to hold everything so that I can grind this groove myself.

It's not over yet.....on the other hand, I just changed the oil to T6 Rotella and it seems to be a little quieter. :bang head:

As ugly as those Vic's are, they're starting to grow on me. Especially if they are guiet.

I see this thread has been hi-jacked big time. Just to toss a monkey wrench into the original subject. I don't know if a 1stGen MkI clutch basket is compatable with a 2ndGen, but if it is, perhaps trying one might cure the whine. 1stGens for the most part are not whiney. Maybe taking a look at one in a side by side comparison of a 2ndGen basket might give you some clues as to what's different?? MOF if the MkI basket is a direct replacement it might be a way to save some bucks over a Barnett pressure plate mod??

Guest tx2sturgis
I see this thread has been hi-jacked big time.

Hey were discussing how to fix the 'whine'...and a new bike fixes the whine....right?

Hmmm....well ok. You should see one 'in person' tho...because the photos make those guards look bigger then they seem when your actually sitting on the bike.

Take a look at these photos...from the front they arent as visible. At any rate, I assume they can be changed to tubular bars like they mount on the Cross Roads.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/victory-motorcycles/2011/touring/cross-country/pages/photos.aspx

I notice that some of those pics show the passenger grabrails installed, (blue bike), and other pics (white bike), show the bike without them. Maybe they haven't settled on a final configuration.

Well, I've never really been a fan of Arlen Ness, to be honest. Haven't seen one of his designs that really does anything for me. To me, it just looks like a slightly toned down version of the Vision.

I see this thread has been hi-jacked big time. Just to toss a monkey wrench into the original subject. I don't know if a 1stGen MkI clutch basket is compatable with a 2ndGen, but if it is, perhaps trying one might cure the whine. 1stGens for the most part are not whiney. Maybe taking a look at one in a side by side comparison of a 2ndGen basket might give you some clues as to what's different?? MOF if the MkI basket is a direct replacement it might be a way to save some bucks over a Barnett pressure plate mod??

The baskets are identical. I bought a 1st Gen basket through eBay with the intention of installing it in my RSV (before I sold it). The seller did a terrible job of packing it, and it was broken in shipment. Seller made it right with no arguments, but I never bought a second one. I did do a very thorough physical comparison, counted teeth, took some measurements. They are the same. I wish someone would actually try this, it would be interesting to see if it cures the problem. Actually, I don't believe that it will. It is my opinion that the only way to cure it would be to change the internal drive gear to be a perfect match with the basket.